Eaton Ep-2 grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. First post of many hopefully; Havent seen anything on this forum about this grease, but just to make it more known as a viable grease , I can attest to the quality of it. Its my go to grease for almost everything. Its well used in the heavy duty truck world, being a diesel mechanic I get way to many tubes of it. Just a fyi.

eaton ep-2

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 32
Originally Posted by Jackstrw68
Hello all. First post of many hopefully; Havent seen anything on this forum about this grease, but just to make it more known as a viable grease , I can attest to the quality of it. Its my go to grease for almost everything. Its well used in the heavy duty truck world, being a diesel mechanic I get way to many tubes of it. Just a fyi.

eaton ep-2

Where do you find it?

You have to order from Eaton directly or call a truck OEM ( International, Kenworth, etc.. dealer) or Eaton dealer to purchase. If you know someone who is in the trucking industry as a mechanic they usually can grab you some as well. It is made by BASF for Eaton and is probably available from their resources under a similar type name.

Thank you for sharing. Compares very favorably to 'regular' cheap Chevron Delo EP-2, exceeds it on many parameters: thinner and stronger.

A few years ago while perusing Timken's web site lubrication documents, I remember an article talking about a grease's extreme pressure capability (Timken ok load) in regards to wheel bearing lubrication. The article suggested that at some point, too high Timken ok load was detrimental to good wheel bearing lubrication. The article did not give a specific cut off point. Most wheel bearing grease has a Timken ok load of approximately 50 to 80 lbs. The Mystic JT 6 high temp. grease tends to be on the high end at about 80 lbs. Timken ok, while most wheel bearing greases are around 50 to 65.

This Eaton grease with a Timken ok load of 110 pounds seems much higher than other wheel bearing greases.

For the life of me, I cannot locate the article at the Timken site. My comments are based on memory and I am not a grease expert. Just tossing this out for discussion.

That's interesting to hear; a first for me. I will say that this grease has to hold up on clutch release bearings which when engaging and disengaging are seeing just engine torque loads up alone up to 2000 ft lbs and fully weighted tractor and equipment. It is also factory lube for heavy duty driveline components; ujoints, etc. I can't make any definite statements only what I witness first hand being in the day to day maintenance of these pieces of equipment. I'd love to come across that article and check it out. I've always used this grease as a go to grease cause I get it basically for free, have so much of it from over the years, and it has seemingly great specs.

Last edited:
I think also higher ok load ratings might not be as common, but for greases like calcium sulfonate, higher ok loads , >60 are normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back