Where to grease poly bushings - so much conflicting info, let's settle this once and for all!

Simple question: what is the correct grease application for polyurethane bushings?

It's a simple question, but gawd, there is so much conflicting information out there, even from the **** manufacturers...

For reference, here are some control arm suspension poly bushings:
1703101590264.png

• A: INSIDE of bushing (where actual rotation/movement happens)
  • B: OUTSIDE of bushing
  • C: inside of metal tube (i.e. between tube and through bolt)
  • D: side surfaces of poly bushing (where they get pressed against control arm frame mounts)
A few things to get out of the way:
  • With control arm bushings, the metal tube itself does NOT rotate, it gets clamped tights against the frame mounts
  • The bushing itself does NOT rotate, i.e. the outer surface (B) of bushing is press fit and static inside the control arm eyes
  • Rotational movement happens between outside surface of metal tube and inside of bushing (A)
  • In terms of grease type, the really tacky stuff designed specifically for poly bushings is the right stuff; confirmed this with multiple manufacturers. I'm guessing this is some type of silicone grease, but there are plenty of threads on here discussing grease type, not the point of this post :p
  • Surface C (inside of metal tube and through bolt) doesn't move -> it doesn't need grease for movement, it just needs something to avoid rust and seizing of bolt inside sleeve. i.e. Use anti-seize, which is much better to ensure it can be disassembled in the future!
Now, what about actual greasing?

If we were to grease the moving surfaces, ONLY greasing A makes sense. Here is an official video from Nolathane saying to ONLY grease this.

However, if we think of the grease as acting as an assembly grease, then greasing the outer surface (B) also makes sense. This also prevents the inner metal of the control arms from rusting due to water sitting between the poly bushing and the metal sleeve. In other words, greasing B is good because it ensures bushing seats properly (assembly grease application) and avoids water ingress (rust prevention). Here is a video from SuperPro bushings saying exactly this.

Greasing everything, as per SuperProBushings advice makes sense to me, so whyyy would Nolathane make a video explicitly saying not to grease the outside?? My only guess: they're worried that grease on the outside would compromise the static press-fit design intent and cause the bushing itself to rotate, which would cause squeaking?

Any thoughts?? Would like to settle this once and for all. If anyone is an actual bushing engineer on here, would love to hear a professional opinion! If anyone is a mechanic and has long term practical experience with poly bushings, also super helpful!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This is probably a better question for a racing forum, but i'll throw a simple answer: replace everything with metal bushings, drill/tap a grease zerk. Grease every 8 hours. 🤡 If you find out the answer to your quest, share the info. thanks.

I don't have a whole lot of squeaking on my Whiteline control arm bushing front and back. But my spring rubbers, oh boy !!!!! I just turn up the stereo and only hear it while backing in the garage. When I do grease my control arm bushings I use Scheaffer's 274 waterproof 3% moly.

How about WS2 on the metal bushing surface?

I did this process on a chainsaw piston and it seems to be holding up extremely well under the high rpms and heat.

Seems like it would be a good solution.

Dow 111 silicone valve grease/lubricant,very water proof,, thick , its in a squeeze tube,it may work on this application well

Simple question: what is the correct grease application for polyurethane bushings?

It's a simple question, but gawd, there is so much conflicting information out there, even from the **** manufacturers...

For reference, here are some control arm suspension poly bushings:
View attachment 193956
  • A: INSIDE of bushing (where actual rotation/movement happens)
  • B: OUTSIDE of bushing
  • C: inside of metal tube (i.e. between tube and through bolt)
  • D: side surfaces of poly bushing (where they get pressed against control arm frame mounts)
A few things to get out of the way:
  • With control arm bushings, the metal tube itself does NOT rotate, it gets clamped tights against the frame mounts
  • The bushing itself does NOT rotate, i.e. the outer surface (B) of bushing is press fit and static inside the control arm eyes
  • Rotational movement happens between outside surface of metal tube and inside of bushing (A)
  • In terms of grease type, the really tacky stuff designed specifically for poly bushings is the right stuff; confirmed this with multiple manufacturers. I'm guessing this is some type of silicone grease, but there are plenty of threads on here discussing grease type, not the point of this post :p
  • Surface C (inside of metal tube and through bolt) doesn't move -> it doesn't need grease for movement, it just needs something to avoid rust and seizing of bolt inside sleeve. i.e. Use anti-seize, which is much better to ensure it can be disassembled in the future!
Now, what about actual greasing?

If we were to grease the moving surfaces, ONLY greasing A makes sense. Here is an official video from Nolathane saying to ONLY grease this.

However, if we think of the grease as acting as an assembly grease, then greasing the outer surface (B) also makes sense. This also prevents the inner metal of the control arms from rusting due to water sitting between the poly bushing and the metal sleeve. In other words, greasing B is good because it ensures bushing seats properly (assembly grease application) and avoids water ingress (rust prevention). Here is a video from SuperPro bushings saying exactly this.

Greasing everything, as per SuperProBushings advice makes sense to me, so whyyy would Nolathane make a video explicitly saying not to grease the outside?? My only guess: they're worried that grease on the outside would compromise the static press-fit design intent and cause the bushing itself to rotate, which would cause squeaking?

Any thoughts?? Would like to settle this once and for all. If anyone is an actual bushing engineer on here, would love to hear a professional opinion! If anyone is a mechanic and has long term practical experience with poly bushings, also super helpful!! Thanks in advance!
Suggest you Google manufactures of polyurethane bushings and their web sites will provide their recommended lubrication.

Download their MSDS and compare their differences. You will find that they use a silicon-based grease with PTFE.

To add to the confusion, Nolathane uses a lithium based grease with molybdenum while nearly everyone else uses silicone with PTFE.

I think the simple answer is to follow the bushing manufacturer's instructions and use the silicone PTFE grease. It probably doesn't matter.

My employer, who owns a lot of heavy equipment, logging equipment, and semi trucks, swears that any good grease is fine. Doesn't matter what brand, or the specifics of it, what really matters is greasing often.
I grease my logging truck and trailer every week, use what my boss provides, haven't worried about the specs, just pump lots of it.

My employer, who owns a lot of heavy equipment, logging equipment, and semi trucks, swears that any good grease is fine. Doesn't matter what brand, or the specifics of it, what really matters is greasing often.
I grease my logging truck and trailer every week, use what my boss provides, haven't worried about the specs, just pump lots of it.
You have to consider compatibility with polyurethane. I learned this the hard way in my youth and used petroleum based greases on poly before I knew better. The grease literally ate up the poly!

Back