Thinning down Lithium EP grease..

Hi,

I have a very old Ariens ST824 snowblower. I took apart the auger gear for servicing, and it was filled with grease. Indeed the owners manual says my model of the 824 should be filled with grease, not the Ariens special gear oil. The grease is no longer available. The grease that replaced the grease is no longer available. They now recommend to use Ariens L3 special gear oil instead. Thing is, the seals in my gear case can't hold oil.

So I need the grease, which is a NLGI 00 Lithium EP grease. I'd just order the grease, but it can't find it in my country.... unless I'd start a business and order a 120 L barrel... I have some wheel bearing grease at hand, which is NLGI 2 Lithium EP grease. Can't I thin it? I have some yellow metal safe gear oil I could use.. 75W90 GL4/5 MT-1.

Grease is basically oil with thickener, no?
It is a 40+ year old blower that I'll use a few hours every winter.

Thanks!

Messenger_creation_cb0ee5c6-ea95-4b21-9265-cd12d5de3f74.jpg

DSC_1554.JPG

Last edited:
You might try a marine application, it probably has the corrosive resistance you need and viscosity.

Not what I had in mind. I believe your wrong on that part. MT-1 is supposed to be yellow metal safe, and the products in question states in words that this gearoil will not harm yellow metals.

You might try a marine application, it probably has the corrosive resistance you need and viscosity.
I have considered this product, which should be quite suitable in terms of protection. But I'm afraid it will leak. How does SAE 90 viscosity compare to NLGI 00 grease?

1706901575250.jpg

Honestly I cannot answer that but I would bet it’s thinner than 00. I’m finding many alternatives but as you stated it’s only sold in large drums.

Check this out;

Like oil pan4 says, I use oo/cornhead great in practically everything that isn't automotive. Actually also put in a Model A I had

Do you have a John Deere Ag dealer nearby in your country? I would go with cornhead grease if you can get it. This exact application is basically what it is designed to do I'm just not sure if it's available to you.

Back