Genuine Toyota Inner Axle Grease Equivanlent?

Did an oil change on my 2016 Sienna recently and noticed grease leaking from the passenger side inner boot :censored:

No noise or clicking and the boot is actually in good condition, but the original clamp felt like it could be tighter :confused:

I'm thinking I might have tugged on it a bit too hard when I replaced the control arms a while back :unsure:

Slung a big mess of grease onto the frame, so I cut off the clamp off and lifted the boot lip to check the level.

It wasn't empty, but could use a bit more (I'm guessing maybe 1/2 was lost)

Put a new clamp on for now and figured I'll top it off when I get a chance next weekend.

Not a fan of mixing different grease types and since it's a bit difficult to properly clean out the old stuff with the axle still in place, I'd rather just top it off with the same grease if available.

Toyota boot kits typically come with two different grease packs specific for inner and outer joints (usually one caramel and one dark)

Found this one online with tubes and a packet:

3aff86c6a83f98c40a9a01a2d58dbbb5.jpg

016bb3a2261c4831a4627d0df75a0e98.jpg

24cedcf07562e53f05d322c483b2fa2e.jpg

Having a hard time finding any of the part numbers on the grease packets available separately and I don't really want to buy an entire kit just for grease, so I'm on the hunt for the closest matching formulated grease for the inner tripod

Pretty sure I'm overthinking the whole thing (isn't that what we all do here?) and it will probably be fine with just about any grease, but I'd still like to fill it with whatever is closest 🫤

I suggest contacting a shop in your area that rebuilds driveline components for cars and trucks. They probably buy grease in bulk. What color was the grease that leaked out? I suspect they may recommend thoroughly cleaning the joint first.

Last edited:
This Google search, "What type of grease is in Toyota inner CV joint" offers multiple hits on 4Runner forums, such as https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/235861-alternative-tan-toyota-inner-cv-joint-grease.html A few posts have some useful information such as https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/cv-kit-from-toyota-grease-questions.1694810/ This post has Toyota part numbers ...
FYI, for folks with JPN built Camrys: The JPN built Camrys got Toyota made half shafts, and those use the tan inner/black outer grease.
I found the Toyota part number for those, for anyone re-booting JPN half shafts in the future: 90999-94161 = tan inner 90999-94214 = black outer. (if you go this route, it's up to you to get about the correct amount of grease in the joint).

Last edited:
I suggest contacting a shop in your area that rebuilds driveline components for cars and trucks. They probably buy grease in bulk. What color was the grease that leaked out?

Emailed our local axle shop to see what they suggest, but having been to their rather small (and filthy) front office, I can only assume they use whatever is available lol

The sloppy mess that came out pretty much looks black like old oil, so can't really say for sure what was in it to begin with.

This Google search, "What type of grease is in Toyota inner CV joint" offers multiple hits on 4Runner forums, such as https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/235861-alternative-tan-toyota-inner-cv-joint-grease.html

Yeah, I've been Googling all night and have found nothing but conflicting info with multiple suggestions that have no technical data to support their claims other than "I've been using (_ _ _ _ _ _) for years without issue"

General consensus from those that appear to be more knowledgeable is that the outer RCV joints get moly and the inner Tripod joints get a non-moly NGLI 1

Some claim the OEM inner grease is Lithium while others claim Polyurea

I have no idea myself, but going the GKY H-15 part number in the boot kit posted above (assuming they are in fact for the inner joint), I found this data sheet which appears to be polyurea

So now I'm curious as to what is actually compatible and feel even more confused than when I started lol

The inner boot is rubber (not epdm) and is deteriorating due to its proximity to the y-pipe. Very common. Replace the inner boot and axle nut. If you are feeling ambitious you can order the full boot kit (outer and inner).

You'll need an air hammer to loosen the intermediate bearing from the cage.

The inner boot is rubber (not epdm) and is deteriorating due to its proximity to the y-pipe. Very common. Replace the inner boot and axle nut. If you are feeling ambitious you can order the full boot kit (outer and inner).

You'll need an air hammer to loosen the intermediate bearing from the cage.

The boot is still in good condition with no rips or tears.

Been on the hunt for just an inner boot kit since they're listed for only $30 bucks and come with the proper grease which for some reason is not available separately, but it's on backorder and even the $80 buck dual boot kit is a special order item that's at least a week away :(

What are my off the shelf options for a compatible Non-moly polyurea?

Never thought it would be so tough to shop for sumthin as simple as grease lol

The boot is still in good condition with no rips or tears.

Been on the hunt for just an inner boot kit since they're listed for only $30 bucks and come with the proper grease which for some reason is not available separately, but it's on backorder and even the $80 buck dual boot kit is a special order item that's at least a week away :(

What are my off the shelf options for a compatible Non-moly polyurea?

Never thought it would be so tough to shop for sumthin as simple as grease lol
The rubber shrinks at the end so the grease starts seeping. Since the clamp is already pinched to its max (1mm gap) you cannot tighten it any further. It needs a new boot and clamps.

Have you called a dealer? I have a few of those kits in-stock, they're usually available 1-2 days out.

Still gunna fill and clamp for now.

The adjustable snap clamps I usually keep in stock tighten more than the oem one piece clamps

Didn't have anymore on hand Saturday, so I used a temporary slip band until I get her back on the lift next weekend

Attachments

• 20240103_213349.jpg
    20240103_213349.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 5
Lift time is limited to this weekend as we have a project vehicle about to take up the bay.

My daily commute is over 200 miles and I don't really trust the temporary slip clamp I put in last week.

And with the snow storm coming, I'd rather not chance it.

Thoughts on John Deere grease?

SD is Polyurea NLGI #2
Corn Head is Polyurea NLGI #0

Both available at my local JD dealer

The SD is what we use in pretty much everything at the JD dealer where I work. Combines, tractors, lawn mowers (deck bearings, lift bearings, front spindles, front king pin). If it can survive all those applications, it's probably just fine for a CV axle.

The SD is what we use in pretty much everything at the JD dealer where I work. Combines, tractors, lawn mowers (deck bearings, lift bearings, front spindles, front king pin). If it can survive all those applications, it's probably just fine for a CV axle.

Good to know

From what I've gathered, the oem grease has the consistency of an NLGI #1

Can't seem to find any Polyurea based NLGI #1

Some say NLGI #0 may be too thin while others say NLGI #2 is too thick.

Which should I go with?

Keep in mind I'll just be adding to existing grease....

I'll probably slide the boot and wipe down as much as I can, but won't be a thorough internal cleaning of the old stuff.

Back