Oil leak on Honda V6. What part is this? Pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 2012 V6 Honda Accord has finally developed a minor problem at just under 100,000 miles on it. I noticed this part has a very oily film on it and it seems to be coming from where that hose connects. I followed the hose over to the other side and it is also leaking there as well. You can see the thick oil film all over the area, again coming from the hose/fitting. I think it is part of my power steering system as my P/S reservoir is slowly getting low. It is not leaking enough to leave drips, just film at this point. Can anyone confirm exactly what this leak is and how do I fix it up? Please see pictures below. Thank you!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I'd start by degreasing the area and slightly tightening the hose clamp.

Messing with the clamps can make the leak worse, The hose/s are most likely hardened at this point.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Messing with the clamps can make the leak worse, The hose/s are most likely hardened at this point.

I agree.

Thank you guys! Do you guys know if this is a hard hose to change out? I have not looked at it that close yet to figure it out. Thanks again!

P/S hose weeping.Depending on the severity of the leak, you could try some ATP AT-205 Reseal. Works pretty well in situations like yours. Just saying.....
27.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by clinebarger

I agree.

I've owned several Hondas and Acuras over the past 29 years. Never saw a power steering hose get brittle after only 6-7 years. If you tighten the clamp and the leak gets worse, so what? You'll replace the hose anyway.

I have never owned a Honda . Having said that , I have been driving / DIY'ing for 50 years .

At 100,000 miles , I would replace the hose . Check rockauto.com for pricing .

Best of luck to you , :)

That leak is so minor. The upside is that you are getting a slight 'corrosion protection' spray in general vicinity from the PS fluid. Having said that, I don't know if rusting Hondas are a problem in Colorado?

Clean and tighten clamp. Free; you got nuthin to lose.
You might even try a new clamp, such as the high pressure clamps instead of the more common worm type. Wider is better.
If it doesn't work, R&R the hose. Easy $$.

Last edited:
That is not a leak. It's barely a weep. When you have a BMW-sized leak - where you're adding a gallon of oil every 150 miles - let me know.

Personally, if I didn't have to add fluid more than once a year or so, I wouldn't touch it. If I did, I would start by tightening the clamp, then replacing the clamp with a better style, then (if it permits) cut the hose end off and try again, then finally replacing the hose.

But like I said...by the looks of it, I wouldn't do a thing.

Got a few like that in my 06 with 160K on it. Unless it starts literally dripping, I ain't worrying about it. Just check it from time to time and drive with confidence.

Leak? That's not a leak, a weep at best. I'll take some pictures of real leaks on my Audi if you want to see what real leaks look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back