2000 Camry V6 - Power steering fluid leak but from where?

I’ve been tearing into my new to me 2000 Camry V6 lately. Today I installed KYB quick-struts and also replaced the sway bar end links. While there I saw a vast amount of power steering fluid mainly on the passenger side of the motor towards the firewall. The PS pump seems soaked in fluid and I can’t pinpoint where exactly my leak is coming from. Is there an o-ring somewhere at a connection perhaps? I don’t want to parts cannon it.. I understand that this is a common issue on these cars.

Attachments

• IMG_4782.jpeg
    IMG_4782.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4794.jpeg
    IMG_4794.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4795.jpeg
    IMG_4795.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 72
It's your pump. They go bad frequently on these cars. And they're a bear to change, LOL. Before you give up hope, one of the bolt holes is slotted so you can just back out its bolt until it hits the obstruction.
So the pump itself is bad? There are no PS pump noises/whine

Slight chance it could be the reservoir to pump inlet union oring. It's the first pic where the hose comes down to the side of the pump. Pop the 10mm bolt without removing the hose and get the oring from the dealer.

Slight chance it could be the reservoir to pump inlet union oring. It's the first pic where the hose comes down to the side of the pump. Pop the 10mm bolt without removing the hose and get the oring from the dealer.
Thanks buddy =)

If it’s the pump I’m going to buy an OEM Toyota PS pump rebuild kit and go that route. None of the aftermarket or remans for my car look good..

That'd what I did on my daughters 2000 Avalon (Same pump).

The feed hose from the Reservoir likes to get hard & leak, Not cheap from Toyota. Also had to replace the rubber sections of the Return Line.....Used bulk 3/8" "TOC" Transmission Oil Cooler hose.

If the high pressure hose isn't leaking....Consider yourself lucky as it's a bear to replace!

The feed hose from the Reservoir likes to get hard & leak, Not cheap from Toyota. Also had to replace the rubber sections of the Return Line.....Used bulk 3/8" "TOC" Transmission Oil Cooler hose.

If the high pressure hose isn't leaking....Consider yourself lucky as it's a bear to replace!
Thanks for the heads up cline! Knowing myself, I’ll probably place a big order at Toyota and re-do the entire PS system minus the rack and pinion..

I would almost bet on it, this is a common failure point. This is the part, make sure to give the dealer all the info to ensure proper fitment.
Replace the hose and clamps also.

Yes but that part is plastic and my develop a crack. You could remove it and try just the o-ring. Been there done that on another make that uses the same thing, if it happens to be metal they sure just the o-ring.

Yes but that part is plastic and my develop a crack. You could remove it and try just the o-ring. Been there done that on another make that uses the same thing, if it happens to be metal they sure just the o-ring.
Ok I’ll take a look at it.

Yeah, these pumps are very easy to rebuild.

IIRC, removing the upper intake makes replacement of that high pressure hose a lot less painful!

Back