5w30 recommendation that will be dumped every 3k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a cheaper 5w30 for my rotary (series II 6 port rx8) that will get dumped every 3k miles as per manual and basically everyone else with a rotary. I want to keep this engine in good shape so that when I swap the car, I can sell my engine/trans package as a low miles unit with good compression.

I use only the Mazda OEM SII filters (all other filters recommended have the wrong bypass rating) which have the bypass rating of 20.3 to 26.1psi. (Series I RX8s have a bypass rating of 11.7 to 17.1psi) If anyone has a recommendation for a filter that would work and has the right bypass pressure, that would be great and save me $11 on amazon each change for the OEM filter.

Thanks!

I use castrol edge 0w40 in mine right now. when it starts warming up i dump it for mobil 1 or napa 15w50.

I dont think there is a correct aftermarket filter for the series 2.

Supertechs newest oil is SN+ and would work well. The high mileage version is less than $1 more if you wanted one with a little extra additive package.

Valvoline WB or Pennzoil conventional. Also Formula Shell at Home Depot for around $13/jug.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Valvoline WB or Pennzoil conventional. Also Formula Shell at Home Depot for around $13/jug.

^^^^^^^^^^

Good plan here. . I'd add Peak oil on sale to this has well... Dollar General has Peak buy one get one free every now and then... It works out to $2.12 a qt... Not too bad actually.

Formula Shell,
Doesnt that go on sale for $9.88 a few times a year?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Formula Shell,

Yes, maybe quarterly would be my guess. Also many Napas have their conventional on sale right now for around $12-13 per the circular. Which should be pretty similar to VWB but not identical. I'd certainly run that one also.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Formula Shell,

Yup, how could i forget. That's a killer deal.

I would go with a thicker conventional in your situation.
Unless something has changed, those rotary engines need to, by design, burn oil. The modern resource conserving and now sn+ oils are Said to be blends. Synthetic dosent burn off easily enough.
Now I had an 87 rx7 and that was a long time ago. Maybe things are different now.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
I would go with a thicker conventional in your situation.
Unless something has changed, those rotary engines need to, by design, burn oil. The modern resource conserving and now sn+ oils are Said to be blends. Synthetic dosent burn off easily enough.
Now I had an 87 rx7 and that was a long time ago. Maybe things are different now.

I believe the deal is that by design the engine sprays a little bit of oil into the seals to lubricate them, which then has to then evaporate off cleanly or will leave deposits.

But the real question isn't really about synthetic oil, but about whether or not a particular oil will burn off without leaving deposits in those seals. I remember hearing that recommendation against "synthetic oil" in a rotary back in the 90s, but "synthetic oil" is far different in 2019 than it was in 1996. Is there really any blanket recommendation that would work? I'd think it's really a case where a slight formulation change (which wouldn't likely consider the effect on rotary engines) could mean an oil that burns clean could become one that later leaves deposits.

Idemitsu actually sells a rotary-specific PAO/ester based "synthetic oil". They claim that it's designed to minimize deposits. It's not an API certified oil, but they claim it exceeds API SM specs.

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com/h/39/10w30.htm
  • With the precise base oil mix of PolyAlphaOlephins and PolyEsters, Idemitsu Rotary Engine Oils are able to minimize those deposits on your apex seals.
  • Allows for better sealing of the chamber, facilitating more power generation.
  • Extends the life of turbochargers by reducing bearing coking.
  • Specially developed additives facilitate even tooth load on the front stationary gear to allow for higher loads and higher RPM.
  • Premium anti-wear agents create a strong film between the main bearings and the eccentric shaft, reducing metal-to-metal contact and minimizing bearing wear.
  • Developed to reduce entrained gas generation. Entrained gases reduce the oils ability to prevent metal-on-metal contact, thereby increasing main bearing wear.
  • Includes Molybdenum as a friction modifier. This compound reacts with the metal surfaces to create a low-shear boundary. The low shear characteristic reduces friction, increasing efficiency and power output.

[Linked Image]

Not sure where to find this though. All I can find are sellers on eBay. They also have a 20W-50 version. And changing this every 3000 miles would really hurt the wallet.

I agree with running Formula Shell.

or just get your hands on any decent 5w30 you can find on sale. no need to limit yourself to a certain brand, just browse the flyers for sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back