Are u a roller coaster fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure am!

I am lucky enough to live jusy hours away from Cedar Point the best roller coaster park in the world.

Sadly Astroword in Houston closed down 20 years ago (this week, I think). I spent many happy days there as a kid. When the demographics of Houston changed and people dropped van loads of unruly kids off there just to use AW as a babysitting service, they ran wild, and it became dangerous for families. The feral kids did not really spend any money, they just tore things up.

I miss the fun, and regret my kids did not get to enjoy it much before it closed.

I used to be in younger days. I loved the old wooden ones more than the steel. Wood had a way to move around a bit, could see the tracks sway as the coaster went over them, sort of psyched one out standing in line and watching that wooden frame move. Steel is too solid for that although it does permit many more thrills and options.

Silverwood in northern Idaho. We'd drive there from Calgary. They had several, all made from wood except one AFAIR. One was called Tremors and when it dived down, it went underground. Totally excellent.

Last edited:
Did the nausea thing on the Slingshot at Six Flags in Houston. There was no lineup so we did it over and over and over. I could barely drive home after that.
sick.gif

Last edited:
Yes. They're lots of fun.

Kids and I used to go to Busch Gardens (who gives military one free pass per year, thank you Annheiser-Busch!) and ride them all day long.

With the quick pass/express lane, we could get in 5-10 rides/hour on coasters like Apollo's Chariot, Alpengeist, or the Griffon.

I'm not a fan of wooden rollercoasters anymore, body can't take the abuse. It's like being a dummy and getting plowed by a freight train because you went around the arms. Last one I rode was the Iron Eagle at Great America about 8 years ago. Some days my kidneys still remember that ride.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Sadly Astroword in Houston closed down 20 years ago (this week, I think). I spent many happy days there as a kid. When the demographics of Houston changed and people dropped van loads of unruly kids off there just to use AW as a babysitting service, they ran wild, and it became dangerous for families. The feral kids did not really spend any money, they just tore things up.

I miss the fun, and regret my kids did not get to enjoy it much before it closed.

Yep, was a great place for the kids. Back in the 80's my kids always had a yearly pass to Astroworld.

No. No. No.

I hate those things. Tried them out when I was a kid. I could barely handle riding in a car without getting motion sickness. Don't know what possessed me to get on a roller coaster. But it didn't end well.

Two awesome coasters at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO: Outlaw Run (may favorite), the sixth-fastest wooden roller coaster in the world (68 MPH), featuring a 162-foot first drop at 81 degrees beyond horizontal. Then there is the brand new Time Traveler, a steel, spinning roller coaster featuring free-spinning cars, stated to be the world's fasted and tallest spinning roller coaster. Highly recommend them both!!

Originally Posted by Astro14

Kids and I used to go to Busch Gardens (who gives military one free pass per year, thank you Annheiser-Busch!) and ride them all day long.

With the quick pass/express lane, we could get in 5-10 rides/hour on coasters like Apollo's Chariot, Alpengeist, or the Griffon.

My wife and I went to Busch Gardens a few years ago on a really hot (>100*) summer day. The heat kept the crowds away and we walked right over every right.

I love everything about roller coasters except for the initial hill climb. I know it's all in my head, but I just can't deal with heights. So, to ride roller coasters that have that first big hill, I close my eyes until the drop. I'm fine from then on. I can be twisting and turning 200' in the air at 60mph and be fine. But, climbing the hill at 2mph turns my stomach upside down. Ha.

Used to like them as a kid,but went to Des Moines Iowa back in about 2012 with HS daughter and took a ride on a pretty big coaster.I have IBS and GERD and was starting to get a little queasy and was glad when it was over.Realized that being north of age 50,my roller coaster days were behind me.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
...and we walked right over every right.

...and we walked right on each ride.

Yes! They make me at 47 feel like a kid again. My son loves them and wants to be a roller coaster design engineer.

We're about 25 minutes from Six Flags STL and we go every few weeks when they open on a Saturday or Sunday when its not so busy. We stay 3 or 4 hours till the lines start getting long and head home.

Originally Posted by Astro14

Astro For some reason I expected the reply
grin.gif

Just got back from a holiday in Queensland, we went to Movie World and of course the kids wanted to go on all the roller coasters...I went on the first one with them (called the DC Hyper Coaster), and that was enough for me! They did the rest of them without me. I felt a bit dizzy for the next hour or so. I absolutely enjoyed the ride though, the g forces were incredible.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'm not a fan of wooden rollercoasters anymore, body can't take the abuse. It's like being a dummy and getting plowed by a freight train because you went around the arms. Last one I rode was the Iron Eagle at Great America about 8 years ago. Some days my kidneys still remember that ride.
lol.gif

Me either. Age and weight make wooden coasters too rough.

Big time enthusiast here. Also live near Cedar Point, but is not my favorite park though. I really am a big fan of Hershey, Six Flags Magic Mountain and Chicago, Sea World Orlando (Mako!). So many good parks out there.

Heading to Germany in a few months... Looking forward to Europa, Holiday Park, Phantasialand and a few others while over the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back