Alternative to Gillette Fusion razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
I have a Gillette Mach-5 handle but I have been buying knock-off identical blades that fit it from Ali-Express 20 at a time for $20CDN ($12 USD) because P&G charges a fortune and it's complete B.S.

Very true. There is a lot of money in multi edged razor blades. For example the Gillette Stadium naming rights cost P&G $8 million a year over a 15-year contract. That totals out to $120 MILLION dollars.

Originally Posted by DejaVue
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Single blade safety razor is the only one that doesn't give me razor burn or ingrown hairs. Can cut yourself as soon as you quit paying attention though.

I was going to say... safety razors have become more popular again in recent years, but, get the angle wrong while using it, and you'll literally see red. I don't want to have to think that hard early in the morning.

That's why you need an alum block styptic pencil. Never knew these existed until last summer. That pencil will stop the bleedling fast.

I've tried so many different razor types and brands over the years and I ended up going right back where I started. Back when I was in the Air Force and had to shave every day, I used a Gillette Mach 3. It provided a smooth, comfortable shave, but I got sick of paying their high prices for replacement cartridges, so I started using Trac IIs, Atras, and even DEs. I've also tried most, if not all of the different 5 blade razors, but I' never found one I liked. Then I started trying the Dollar Shave Club and Harry's blades, didn't like any of those either. All of this took place over about a 10 year period. Then one day I found some Mach 3 carts on sale and I started using them again. It's still the best razor for me...close comfortable shaves with no razor burn or irritation. I only shave once or twice a week now, and I'll get 3 or 4 shaves from each cart, so the expense isn't an issue anymore...

I think it's been mentioned already, but I'll say it again - if you want to bypass the monthly shipping with Dollar Shave Club, Dorco supplies them and you can buy direct from the source. They have bundles that they put on sale where you can get a mix of disposable and regular razors and the various cartridges usually fit whatever handle you get from them.

Shaving cream...I'm a fan of Cremo. And if Proraso is hard to find, head on over to your local Bath & Body Works and look for the C.O. Bigelow section, usually buried in the back of the store. Their shaving cream is made by Proraso.

Another thing I'm done with are gel shaving creams. I went back to Foamy and Barbasol. The gel creams were making a scummy mess out of my razor. And they didn't moisturize as well as the plain foam. Now my razor rinses clean, with no scum. And I get a smoother, better shave. Not to mention it's about a third of the cost or less, and it's faster and easier to apply.

Originally Posted by billt460
I have a Gillette Mach-5 handle but I have been buying knock-off identical blades that fit it from Ali-Express 20 at a time for $20CDN ($12 USD) because P&G charges a fortune and it's complete B.S.

Very true. There is a lot of money in multi edged razor blades. For example the Gillette Stadium naming rights cost P&G $8 million a year over a 15-year contract. That totals out to $120 MILLION dollars.

And it's not like there won't be a need for their products, We will all end up at the store looking for razors so they can leave the marketing on the package and stop wasting it on things like you mentioned and billing us for it in the cost of razors. Never have I gone to a stadium named Gillette and thought, you know what I'm going to buy their razors now. It's just not in purchasing logic today.
grin2.gif

Another thing I'm done with are gel shaving creams. I went back to Foamy and Barbasol. The gel creams were making a scummy mess out of my razor. And they didn't moisturize as well as the plain foam. Now my razor rinses clean, with no scum. And I get a smoother, better shave. Not to mention it's about a third of the cost or less, and it's faster and easier to apply.

Foam is far better IMO.

Foam is far better IMO.

The gel creams clog my razor very fast. I love foam too. Started out with Barbasol but now use Colgate foamy. Usually can find it for $0.99 and gives me the closest shave. I have tried many razors including Harry's and Dollar shave club but Gillette Fusion is still my favorite. I shave every 3rd day and a single blade lasts me usually a whole year without tugging on my skin.

Originally Posted by deven

Foam is far better IMO.

The gel creams clog my razor very fast. I love foam too. Started out with Barbasol but now use Colgate foamy. Usually can find it for $0.99 and gives me the closest shave. I have tried many razors including Harry's and Dollar shave club but Gillette Fusion is still my favorite. I shave every 3rd day and a single blade lasts me usually a whole year without tugging on my skin.

Agreed that's why I stopped using the Gel a long time ago. I started buying the Equate brand from Walmart which I figured out is made by P&G and it's fine on my skin. I have sensitive Rosacea on my face and almost everything I put on my face will cause red bumps to appear that are unsightly although theirs does not so I just keep using it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by opus1
Shaving cream...I'm a fan of Cremo.

Been using Cremo for a long time, it's unbelievably slick so there is no drag. I have been using Trac ll's with the comfort strip since they came out, I guess I don't watch commercials and don't really understand why you guys are getting your undies in a bunch, you don't pay attention to oil marketing.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by opus1
Shaving cream...I'm a fan of Cremo.

Been using Cremo for a long time, it's unbelievably slick so there is no drag. I have been using Trac ll's with the comfort strip since they came out, I guess I don't watch commercials and don't really understand why you guys are getting your undies in a bunch, you don't pay attention to oil marketing.

Yeah, sometimes I think it's a bit too slick. I wind up using the cartridge longer than I should and if I don't pay attention to how many shaves I've done with a cartridge, my neck will start letting me know it's time to switch.
lol.gif

I quit using canned shaving creams/gels years ago. Nothing but garbage. I like soaps like Tabac are really nice and slick, and creams like the one from the Body Shop, and Kiss my face are very nice too. All are much better than the canned garbage...

I suppose I could start shaving at the gym. They have free disposable razors but they are only twin blades.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I suppose I could start shaving at the gym. They have free disposable razors but they are only twin blades.

Twin-blade razors are like sticking your face into a Waring blender. Have a high smv female nurse on call.

Originally Posted by Sierra977

Twin-blade razors are like sticking your face into a Waring blender. Have a high smv female nurse on call.

I still use twin blades. More blades than that shave too close and irritate my skin.

Originally Posted by Sierra977

Then I don't know how those guys at the gym do it. I'd like to get ready before leaving the house not afterwards anyways.

I've always dry shaved the closest to using cream or gel is while home I shave in the shower.

Something I learned from Duff McKagan (the GnR guitarist) is to use conditioner in place of shaving cream. That plus a DE razor like the Merkur 34C and feather blades make for one of the best shaves ever - and no cuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back