Lowest priced Dexos approved oil...Supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 quart full synthetic Supertech dexos approved $15.88, is this the cheapest option without dealing with rebates? 2011 silverado 4.3 v6.

Harvest King 5w30 is the cheapest option as far as I know. Rural King sells it.

Screenshot_2019-01-01-00-47-29(1).png

I would just use Mobil 1 0w40 for 1yr/10k miles. Comes out cheaper that way, also tons protects better than Harvest King or Supertech, and you spend less time on maintenance.

What is the obsession with M1 0w-40 these days? It's not Dexos compliant, and the OP is looking for a Dexos compliant oil...

Originally Posted by Vladiator
I would just use Mobil 1 0w40 for 1yr/10k miles. Comes out cheaper that way, also tons protects better than Harvest King or Supertech, and you spend less time on maintenance.

How exactly is it "tons better"?
It is a oil that does not meet the engine specs and cost almost 2x as much.
Not knowing anything about how the vehicle is driven, it is irresponsible to say go 1 yr/10 k.

Originally Posted by blupupher

How exactly is it "tons better"?
It is a oil that does not meet the engine specs and cost almost 2x as much.
Not knowing anything about how the vehicle is driven, it is irresponsible to say go 1 yr/10 k.

Thank you

If you must get low saps Dexos oil, keep an eye on both Walmart.com and amazon. Between Supertech, milesyn, and Castrol Magnatec there is usually a good value For sell from time to time. Also check the amazon basics, it may or may not beat the Supertech price, but is the same thing, and the money saved with porch delivery is tremendous for me.(pick up items in store when wife accompanies.)

Also check out Mobil 1 0w40, it's the silver bullet.

M1 0w40 isnt Dexos.

Mobil 1 is nothing special. Just a lot of advertising for the easily influenced.

Yes, I've found ST to be the least expensive Dexos Syn w/o the rebates. I expect Amazon Basic to take a run at it soon. Castrol Magnatec sometimes dips pretty close to ST Syn at WalMart, and QSUD is within about $2 ship to store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Marco620
I dont drive GM so dexos isnt a concern. I'd go 0w40 M1 or Redline / Amsoil / Royal Purple HPS.

IT IS NOT DEXOS 1 GEN 2 APPROVED!!! SMH

Originally Posted by Corollaman
5 quart full synthetic Supertech dexos approved $15.88, is this the cheapest option without dealing with rebates? 2011 silverado 4.3 v6.

Yep, in terms of being "Dexos approved", the cheapest I've found is the 5qt jugs of Supertech full synthetic or Napa full synthetic when you can get it on sale for right around $3/qt. I've been buying the ST lately given it's such a good deal for the 6-7K mile OCIs I do.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I dont drive GM so dexos isnt a concern. I'd go 0w40 M1 or Redline / Amsoil / Royal Purple HPS.

Fortunately, Royal Purple sells Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils now. I saw it at my local Wally World this past week. I had to do a double take, thinking my eyes were ticking me. Turns out they finally sell them now.

I used Napa Full Synthetic last change it was a bit cheaper then Supertech. Being said in a port injection V6 with 195HP I would not be concerned about Dexos.

Originally Posted by crazy_raccoon
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Fortunately, Royal Purple sells Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils now. I saw it at my local Wally World this past week. I had to do a double take, thinking my eyes were ticking me. Turns out they finally sell them now.

That stuff is nearly identical to Supertech. If you where shown UOA/VOA of both you would not be able see the difference. They both carry identical recommendations.

My local Walmart jumped the price of Magnatech right up with Pennzoil Platinum. Either the Super Tech at $15.98 or Quaker State Ultimate Durability at $17.98 would be your best best unless you can find a sale or rebate on something else. Also like mentioned above, if you have a Rural King near you, check out the Harvest King line.

L8R,
Matt

Supertech Dexos (API SN, SM) 5w30 is
Mobil1 0w40 is not Dexos approved due to the fact that it meets much higher and stricter limits and requirements such as API SN, SM, SL, SJ, ACEAA3/B3, A3/B4, MB-Approval 229.3, MB-Approval 229.5, VW 502 00/505 00, PORSCHE A40.

Mobil1 0w40 keeps flowing when Supertech Dexos 5w30 turns to honey-like substance in cold temperatures.
And Mobil1 0w40 keeps protecting the engine with increased engine loads, when Supertech Dexos 5w30 gets watery and starts to burn off and plug the piston ringlands with carbon deposits from increased engine loads. (Stop-n-go traffic, 4k+ RPMs, etc.)

In every possible way it is an UPGRADE over any Dexos approved oils, including Supertech Synthetic 5w30. All you gotta do is expand your tunnel vision buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back