ROTELLA T5 15W-40 SYN BLEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the T6 for several years in my VTX1300 but did not use it at the last oil change due to the Rotella products no longer carrying the API S rating or the JASO MA rating.
It's time to change the oil again and I'm thinking about trying the T5 15w-40 syn blend as I do see that a few folks here are using it in their bikes.
What is the general consensus regarding this oil in a gas engine?

There is no advantage of a 5W-40 oil unless the start up temps drop well below freezing. /the major brands 15W40 with proper approvals are as good as oil gets.

Shell still claims T6 meets JASO MA/MA2. It has never done so for T5.

That said, I've used T5 15W-40 before and it was okay, nothing special. Shifting didn't go downhill as quickly as T6 but that's not saying much.

Thanks for the info. I just remember that when Rotella was reformulated and no longer carried the API S rating everyone was unsure of using it in gas engines.

Yeah, Rotella T6 5w-40 still has the JASO MA/MA2 rating, but I know some say they have had issues with it in their bikes after using the "new" formula.

I have a few jugs of it, but have not used it in my bike yet (I have a bunch of Peak 15w-40 Syn Blend to use first).

I have no concerns using the T6 in a gasoline engine (will probably use it in my mom's Saturn Vue or sisters Hyundai Santa Fe).

JASO MA.jpg

Well, I think you would be thrilled with the performance of the 15/40 over any 5/40 no matter if it is S rated or not.

Anyway, using the 15/40 T5 would do no harm and honestly I think way better then using the 5/40.
That is all a personal decision.

5/40 weight is not recommended by the maker of your bike either so I think worrying about something S rated in the recommended weight range of 15/40 isnt a concern.

or you could chose any 15/40 with a S rating if you want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Well, I think you would be thrilled with the performance of the 15/40 over any 5/40 no matter if it is S rated or not.

Anyway, using the 15/40 T5 would do no harm and honestly I think way better then using the 5/40.
That is all a personal decision.

5/40 weight is not recommended by the maker of your bike either so I think worrying about something S rated in the recommended weight range of 15/40 isnt a concern.

or you could chose any 15/40 with a S rating if you want.

Thanks for the info. I may go with Mobil Delvac 1300 (API SN) as I am using it in my boat and Seadoo. I just wondered if anyone was running the T5 syn blend in a bike.

I've run T5 for the past 3 years, it shifts better than most other oils I've tried and shift quality remained good much longer than T6. Overall I recommend it highly. My riding temps are higher than most people unless they live out here in the desert; I've had no oil related problems and valve adjustments show normal wear. Bandits are tuff on oil and it did well.
YMMV
Smoky

Syn-blend may be a more flexible oil. T6 had some odd clicks and clacks in some applications I tried it.

I'm a fan of a well blended "syn-blend" which is really most "conventional" oils now days ...

T4 is on the Allison list, but not T5 or T6. Wonder why ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back