Rotella T6 Alternatives?

It seems the whole purpose is grasping the Benjamins... JASO registered 1,778 oils at $365 per oil = $648,970.00...
Guess we are in the wrong business, lol ... but someone has to do the work on the JASO side, it's not being done for free ... would you do it for free? $365 per submission sounds like a good deal to me. Use some JASO speced oil, it might help those clutch plates from glazing. I've owned dozens of bikes over the years, and have never had glazed clutch plates. 😄

Although Shell says T4/T6 meets JASO MA/MA2 specs, for my SE6 Can Am Spyder, it doesn't meet BRP specs. Not really a concern unless someone is worried about warranty issues,
XPS Recommended Engine Oil 4T5W40 Synthetic blend oil. If the Recommended XPS Product is not Available, Use a 5W40 4-stroke SAE synthetic engine oil meeting or exceeding the following lubricant industry specifications: API service classification SJ,SL, SM or SN. Always check the API service label certification on the oil container, it must contain at least one of the indicated standards.

Although Shell says T4/T6 meets JASO MA/MA2 specs, for my SE6 Can Am Spyder, it doesn't meet BRP specs. Not really a concern unless someone is worried about warranty issues,
XPS Recommended Engine Oil 4T5W40 Synthetic blend oil. If the Recommended XPS Product is not Available, Use a 5W40 4-stroke SAE synthetic engine oil meeting or exceeding the following lubricant industry specifications: API service classification SJ,SL, SM or SN. Always check the API service label certification on the oil container, it must contain at least one of the indicated standards.
Shell no longer claims that T6 meets JASO standards. Now they are saying that T5 meets JASO standards. And they put a pic of a motorcycle on the T6 jug.

What are BRP specs?

Jaso ratings have differnt meaning, MB rating is not meant for wet clutches.

It may or may not cause a clutch slip issue, cause ALL CLUTCHES have differnt type plates and spring tensions and load they can handle, before slipping.

Billy bob runs mb oil and never has issue.

Joe Bobs, bike slips on same oil.

Both clutches are in immaculate condition.

just the way it is

MB rating is not meant for wet clutches.
Yes it is.
It may or may not cause a clutch slip issue, cause ALL CLUTCHES have differnt type plates and spring tensions and load they can handle, before slipping.
with the niche exception of kevlar composite friction material, all of them are cellulose composite friction material against steel plates.

The difference between bikes is largely the total clamping force derived from the springs or other mechanisms (such as those that increase clamping force when on throttle.)

Yes it is.

with the niche exception of kevlar composite friction material, all of them are cellulose composite friction material against steel plates.

The difference between bikes is largely the total clamping force derived from the springs or other mechanisms (such as those that increase clamping force when on throttle.)
Okay what motorcycle specs an MB rated oil for its wet clutch?

I use Super Tech 4 stroke motorcycle oil (full syn). It's JASO MA2 spec'd...and it's probably less expensive than Rotella...

I use Super Tech 4 stroke motorcycle oil (full syn). It's JASO MA2 spec'd...and it's probably less expensive than Rotella...
Local Walmart has 5w40 T6 at $23.48/ga and SuperTech 10w40 full syn m/c oil at $8.72/qt. I'd still go with the ST...

Local Walmart has 5w40 T6 at $23.48/ga and SuperTech 10w40 full syn m/c oil at $8.72/qt. I'd still go with the ST...
Another thing I've noticed about the Rotella is the strange weights it's available in...one of my bikes calls for 10-30, and the other 10-40...I don't think Rotella is available in those weights...not that a 5-40 is that big of a deal weight wise, I just prefer running the correct weight...is T6 a full syn?

Another thing I've noticed about the Rotella is the strange weights it's available in...one of my bikes calls for 10-30, and the other 10-40...I don't think Rotella is available in those weights...not that a 5-40 is that big of a deal weight wise, I just prefer running the correct weight...

Oils are not graded on weight... only flow...

Difference between a 10w and a 5w is the CCS (Cold Cranking Simulation)... it's the seconds needed for your oil to flow from the sump and up to all of the critical engine parts...

UsedOilFlowTest5.jpg

OilFlowTest13.jpg

Last edited:
Oils are not graded on weight... only flow...

Difference between a 10w and a 5w is the CCS (Cold Cranking Simulation)... it's the seconds needed for your oil to flow from the sump and up to all of the critical engine parts...
The oil viscosity at 100 C (212 F), aks "KV100", is the kinematic viscosity (units of cSt), which is based on how it flows due to gravity.

The "W" rating has absolutely nothing to do with the kinematic flow ... think you've been watching too many YouTube "cold oil races" videos. 😄

The "W" rating in a multi-viscosity oil is based on the measurement of its dynamic viscosity (units of cP) in special test equipment (the CCS simulator and MRV test machine) that puts the oil in a shear state, so its viscosity is measured that way and not by the flow due to gravity. The "W" rating is based on those test results and the requirements set forth by SAE J300. The CCS simulator has absolutely nothing to do with how much time it takes oil to flow in any way.

Last edited:
Back