Garage door seal w/ uneven floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The item you linked to might work out fine for you. After installing the new seal, there might be a trick or an adjustment you need to perform on the opener to make sure it
squishes the seal down a little more due to it being uneven on one side. Try that on the seal you got at Lowes before buying a new one.

After maxing out the adjustment on my new garage door opener I checked out new seals to get the proper fit when closed. IIRC I had a standard seal which when laid out flat measured about 3". I got one that was about 4" and it works fine. The one you linked to should work. I'd check eBay, I paid about half the cost, 2 years ago for a 2 car door size gasket.

That style of seal is about as good as it gets. We got one for the old homestead garage years ago, and it did an amazing job sealing, even keeping a pool of water outside when drainage got blocked, a good 4 inches up on the door.

The real question is, how uneven? A deep, narrow crack will require filling. Cracks with a sharp upheaval (a step) can be too challenging for any seal. In that case, building up the low side with some cement (and/or grinding down the high side, if you can get a rental) to minimize the step to just a change in angle will be required.

Last edited:
The door currently doesn't have an opener or latch. This is as good as it gets with me pushing it down by hand.

*And it's upsidedown. Or I took the photo while standing on my head. Not sure which.

875A6B18-846B-42F1-9870-12EF74214ED1.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps a thin strip of PT wood along the floor with caulk between the floor and wood to
compensate for the uneven concrete.

I have a similar version of that seal except mine does not have the round reinforcing tube in the middle. I like the one you list better than the one I got.

My garage door was up on both side about 1/2 inch. I had a company come and adjust and do PM on the door. One thing they did was to tighten every bolt & nut that hold a hinge or roller. They loosen over time. Its now about half of what it was and the seal takes care of the rest.

One important tip. Put some soap and water in a bucket and pull the new seal out of the bucket to slide it on. Try to slide the seal on, do not pull and stretch it. Leave about 4" on each end for awhile.

The previous seal I slid in the aluminum track looked fine. A year latter it was short by a few inches on each side. I was thinking it shrunk. But the garage door guy who came to adjust the door said I mostly likely stretched it while installing it and over time it went back to its unstretched length and was too short.

So install it too long, try not to stretch and after awhile (unsure of the time) you can trim it to fit exactly. Save some extra n case it was stretched .

A skunk wandered in my place years back a good gnawed mine up trying to get out. I bought 2 of the Type that HD / Lowe's carries over time. They sort of suck and aren't exactly cheap. I'm glad you posted this as these are the same style I see on the commercial Overhead Door doors in warehouses. For that money I'm gonna grab one of those puppies ! I can't see how they could get much better.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Could you grind the high places down and slope it out?
That's what I was thinking, but a chewed up threshold might not seal any better. There's no guarantees that if you parged it or scratch coated it or something that it would hold up to the weather/being on the edge of the slab. I've used a grinder to grind concrete before but I would think about hiring someone who is experienced and has the hands to grind off the minimal amount.

You could try to fit the seal to the floor: put a piece of wood along the front edge of the threshold and scribe it, I think that's what I try first.
Originally Posted by Ursatdx
Perhaps a thin strip of PT wood along the floor with caulk between the floor and wood to compensate for the uneven concrete.
Maybe temporarily, but that won't stand up to cars driving over it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
You could try to fit the seal to the floor: put a piece of wood along the front edge of the threshold and scribe it, I think that's what I try first.

Taking this idea a little further, a piece of flat aluminum say 2" x 1/8" that you could fix to the door bottom and shim to match the floor contour and fix the door seal to it. Or a piece of aluminum angle fitted to the floor contour and fixed to the bottom of the door behind the seal so it just touches down and block the low spots would at least keep out the meeses.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Anyone have any suggestions? A new seal from Lowe's didn't fix the issue. It's a 9' door.

I'm thinking about getting something like this.
https://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/ulrugadobowe.html

The seal you are looking at is the exact seal that I am using. Solved my problem which was the same as yours. A good solid seal. You may have to adjust your opener a bit after install because of the thickness of the seal. Also takes a bit to get the seal to form but they are good.

Can you take the seal off the door bottom and built it up in these areas with some thing wood cut to size and used as a shim to put the seal further out in the lower areas of the floor that don't meet the door? (Assuming you have a seal there already, hard to see).

If not you can buy thicker seals that compress nicely and will take up little gaps like this.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Keep in mind.. If you occasionally hose off your garage floor to keep it clean, then don't install the floor threshold strips because they will trap water in the garage

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back