Any advice on thinning out ivy ground cover?

I don't particularly like working in the yard, but it's getting kind of out of hand. It's been there since I moved in and it just self sustains. But it's getting a bit high in spots. A lot of the top is new growth. What I have might be about a 30'x5' strip and it's of uneven height. It's easy to just cut where it encroaches on the pavement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

I have an 0.065" electric line trimmer and this is close enough to the front door to use a 50' cord. I was thinking of just using that, but I'm not sure how bad it's going to look. It's probably not the right season to do this, but my neighbor is asking if maybe I do this to keep down the encroachment on their property.

I dealt with ivy several years ago. What it did was to trim it as far back as it could and then apply a strong herbicide right afterwards. I did have a few spots re-emerge but eventually it was gone.

Your neighbor will need to do the same thing.

I've cleared off two areas in the last couple of years with all kinds of ground vines. Burn rake and rip up the vines, then rake again and spray what comes back. Then plant grass and spray again. Takes a couple of years to get it all grass. I had wisteria all over along with Virginia creeper, some poison ivy and some sort of thorny ground berry.

I used some stuff from Jones Fish Farm that is actually for cattails, but is more environmentally friendly than 24D or Round Up. Works great on many things, but is $$$. I can find the name if you’d like, but it should be on their site. I also bought the oil seed oil based surfactant.

Whatever you do, be careful spraying and the draft of the vapors or spray. Don’t want to kill your neighbors lawn.

It took me years to fight it off. My yard was infested with it. Its 99% gone now.

If you use a weed whacker to cut it back you run the risk of propagating it even more. All the little bits of vine get spread around and can take root. Best to use hedge shears and cut it back. Be sure to bag up the cuttings or burn them as they can start growing in a compost pile.

Back