Which RTV for Water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DejaVue
Ultra Copper has impressed me on water pumps and intake manifolds on modded turbo cars. Is there a reason to use something besides Ultra Copper? Other than maybe black if wanting more oil resistance.

X2 for the Ultra Copper and Ultra Black, ive used both with excellent results and no leaks.

Originally Posted by diyjake

1282B part# 08826-00100 is like $60-70 per tube, no clue who buys it at that price.

The conflicting part is that Toyota will pay for this on warranty repairs - while they don't state FIPG 103(1207B) is suitable for coolant applications - it does state Long Life Coolant in the datasheet. Aisin's repackage says it's OK for water pumps.

https://www.techsil.co.uk/media/pdf/TDS/TBSI19050-tds.pdf

There's even a orange FIPG to reseal transmission pans, the case halves on Toyota's hybrid drive units and ATF/gear oil applications as well. I've used Toyota Black on a ex-friend's IMG job instead of Ultra Black or Fel-Pro's stuff.

The only Permatex I'd recommend for an Japanese import is Ultra Grey.

Last edited:
I know Permatex offers the Ultra Grey for imports but not sure why does it matter or how is it better than the Ultra Black.

Only the cheap aftermarket water pumps come with a gasket not the OEM / Aisin ones and I have not been able to find one separate at least not for my vehicle.

If I google 2009 Camry Water Pump Gasket, I get two different ones coming up, I assume one for the I4 and one for the V6. It looks like Toyota dealers selling them online but they're only $6 and $8. You should be able to order one or get one from a dealer near you.

I called the dealer and provided the vin of my car and they said they don't list the gasket separately. I'll just have to use RTV.

Originally Posted by Anduril
Only the cheap aftermarket water pumps come with a gasket not the OEM / Aisin ones and I have not been able to find one separate at least not for my vehicle.

If I google 2009 Camry Water Pump Gasket, I get two different ones coming up, I assume one for the I4 and one for the V6. It looks like Toyota dealers selling them online but they're only $6 and $8. You should be able to order one or get one from a dealer near you.

The Toyota 2.4 2az-Fe water pumps are sealed using RTV. RTV is the correct sealer for this application. I use Toyota FIPG Black for oil pans.

I know Permatex offers the Ultra Grey for imports but not sure why does it matter or how is it better than the Ultra Black.

The Ultra Grey is used for max load resitance applications and the Ultra Black is used for max oil resistance applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back