2018 Grand Caravan review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought the van used a month ago which replaced 06 Saturn Vue so here are some observations.
1. Fuel mileage tie
2. Ride quality goes to Vue. Caravan rides more like truck.
3. Startup noises go to Vue. Caravan has more accessories running on tensioner so it takes second or two then quiet.
4. Utility Caravan
5. Handling Caravan
6. Reliability is to early to tell. Saturn had very few repairs in 8.5 years I owned it.
7. Ease getting in or out Saturn

The Caravan does have its quirks and in general not the quietest vehicle out there but we like it but hopefully we will grow to love it. Transmission is taking some getting used to and power is so much better. Noises on acceleration are taking time to get used to and hate tires but that is personal take. Before anyone say bring to dealer and let them fix it I know these issues are normal. Only have 4k on it right now and with me having worked at dealerships most of my life before retiring I don't trust the parts changers at dealerships.

Yeah I was going to say. My FIL has the loaded Grand Caravan and it's suspension is far nicer than my dad's stripped down Caravan. It's also a lot more quiet as KrisZ mentioned.

I still like the Grand Caravans better than the Pacifica.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Yeah I was going to say. My FIL has the loaded Grand Caravan and it's suspension is far nicer than my dad's stripped down Caravan. It's also a lot more quiet as KrisZ mentioned.

Well when price is 19k for 3000 mile SE with center captain seat and next one level is 30k I took used SE that was dealer shuttle van. Like a said not a bad vehicle and works well for wife's wheelchair.

Yep
Nothing is missing that I don't need. All the power acceriories or convenience is what gives Dodge the lowest reliability rating according to consumer reports. My first Dodge since 1983 so hopefully it will give reliability for at least 10 years as I have been averaging 6k yearly.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by StevieC

Well when price is 19k for 3000 mile SE with center captain seat and next one level is 30k I took used SE that was dealer shuttle van. Like a said not a bad vehicle and works well for wife's wheelchair.

No for sure... My FIL is old and it will be his last car and he has money so... For me I would have bought the stripped down Caravan.
grin2.gif
When you do need suspension work get the sport suspension it will fit the SE.

Last edited:
The grand caravan is going to be a bit harsher in the arse-end due to the solid beam rear axle. They do handle and drive very well, if not better than the others regardless IMO. The pentastar and 62TE trans is an excellent combo as well. You can get an aftermarket pan for the 62TE that has a drain plug on it if you want to do regular ATF drain/fills on it. Checking ATF level is another issue given they have a dipstick tube with a removable cap. No stick. I would drain it cold and refill cold. Have a dealer or trans shop check level if you were concerned.

Originally Posted by JTK
The grand caravan is going to be a bit harsher in the arse-end due to the solid beam rear axle. They do handle and drive very well, if not better than the others regardless IMO. The pentastar and 62TE trans is an excellent combo as well. You can get an aftermarket pan for the 62TE that has a drain plug on it if you want to do regular ATF drain/fills on it. Checking ATF level is another issue given they have a dipstick tube with a removable cap. No stick. I would drain it cold and refill cold. Have a dealer or trans shop check level if you were concerned.

Dorman makes a dipstick for this transmission and it's about $20 on RockAuto. I bought one for my FIL's transmission and if you check it cold you can use the first mark on it so no scan tool is required. For any VW owners that have the Van that is essentially a Dodge Caravan (shared platform) you can use this same dipstick. You insert it via the fill neck that has the black cap on it just to the left of the battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I just marked the engine oil dipstick with cold and hot levels. They are way different than for engine oil. So I use that. No need to keep a separate dipstick laying around doing nothing and possibly getting lost when you need it.
grin.gif

KrisZ, I did the same thing with our 2013 Grand Caravan a year or two into ownership, but that was basically relying on the factory level. Chances of it being wrong is low I know. I'm sure you know this, but if you look at parts diagrams for the 62TE, there's a metal stop tab inside that you hit with the stick. Is it supposed to go in that far? I don't know. In the 4yrs and 70K miles we owned that van I had a local transmission shop do a pan drop, filter change and refill for like $79 at around 40K miles.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I just marked the engine oil dipstick with cold and hot levels. They are way different than for engine oil. So I use that. No need to keep a separate dipstick laying around doing nothing and possibly getting lost when you need it.
grin.gif

KrisZ, I did the same thing with our 2013 Grand Caravan a year or two into ownership, but that was basically relying on the factory level. Chances of it being wrong is low I know. I'm sure you know this, but if you look at parts diagrams for the 62TE, there's a metal stop tab inside that you hit with the stick. Is it supposed to go in that far? I don't know. In the 4yrs and 70K miles we owned that van I had a local transmission shop do a pan drop, filter change and refill for like $79 at around 40K miles.

That stop is for the "proper" dip stick, but the engine dipstick hits it the same way. I think there is even a YouTube video with the pan dropped demonstrating this. So yes, that's how far the dipstick should go.

I did a cooler line exchange which is super easy as the hoses are available from the top of the engine bay. To get the proper level I used my vacuum pump to siphon out the excess ATF I put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back