Seeking VOA for Valvoline 5w40 MST

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says seeking a VOA for Valvoline SynPower 5w40 MST. I've looked at the PI sheet but it doesn't really clue me in to TBN or SA let alone additive levels.

Considering using it for a 5,000 mile OCI for a new car.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
But it does.
TBN 7
SA 0.78
Zn/P 0.84/0.77
Ca 0.193

Must've found a different PI than me, thanks!

Side note, I wasn't aware the starting TBN was that low. Still plenty fine for 5k.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
But it does.
TBN 7
SA 0.78
Zn/P 0.84/0.77
Ca 0.193

Must've found a different PI than me, thanks!

Side note, I wasn't aware the starting TBN was that low. Still plenty fine for 5k.

thumbsup2.gif

As far as TBN is concerned, I wouldn't worry too much. The long drain oils they offer have a 10 and 11 TBN, and A3/B4 should be (with European quality gas) good to nearly 20k.
As I found out, starting TBN means nothing, PP starts at 12(?), and that get's knocked waaaay down in a hurry.
PI sheet

Last edited:
This is perfect because all I could find was the newer Advanced Full Synthetic PI sheets which have significantly less data. I have a few quarts from an Autozone clearance 2 years ago. Will likely be used for the 5,000-10,000 oil change on the new car in the stable. Will have a few additional flush changes prior. Thanks again!

Yeah M1 0W40 (A3/B4) has a TBN of 12.6 and a SA of 1.34%, that's typical Euro high SAPS.

M1 0W-20 AFE (Dexos1-Gen2) has a TBN of 8.8 and SA of 0.8%, which is closer to Euro mid-SAPS levels than full or high SAPS. Sure a touch higher, but close. If regular GF-5 M1 is good for 10k miles, as many say, that MST should be fine for somewhere around 7.5 k miles.

Data straight of the M1 web page.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
As the title says seeking a VOA for Valvoline SynPower 5w40 MST. I've looked at the PI sheet but it doesn't really clue me in to TBN or SA let alone additive levels.

Considering using it for a 5,000 mile OCI for a new car.

It is primarily for Euro diesels.
i use it in summer since I got some 60 quarts on sale when they were in NAPA for $2 per quart.
It is good oil, but again, mostly design for diesels. I would use it with caution in DI gasoline engine depending on fuel dilution issues of particular gasoline engine.

Anybody have any idea what the NOACK is for the MST oils? Is it ok to assume that the 5-30 would be similar to the 5-40?
It's on sale at NAPA this month.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Anybody have any idea what the NOACK is for the MST oils? Is it ok to assume that the 5-30 would be similar to the 5-40?
It's on sale at NAPA this month.

it's in the link in post #4

I've been using this oil in a 2015 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4L TDi for the last 4 oils changes.
Can't complain, it's one of the cheaper DEXOS2 cert. oils available in Australia and as it meets the OEM Mitsubishi requirements (basically. SN) Even though this particular vehicle doesn't have a DPF, it's ERG is known for sludgy intakes, so mid/low saps oil is a must.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
I've been using this oil in a 2015 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4L TDi for the last 4 oils changes.
Can't complain, it's one of the cheaper DEXOS2 cert. oils available in Australia and as it meets the OEM Mitsubishi requirements (basically. SN) Even though this particular vehicle doesn't have a DPF, it's ERG is known for sludgy intakes, so mid/low saps oil is a must.

Regards
Jordan

I am not sure it is same MST>
European version is different then American for example.

Here for link

Synpower_mst_5W40_5L.png

It's possibly different. I know that Valvoline blend their Aussie market oils in Aus. Still it's a quality well priced product here.

Regards
Jordan.

Last edited:
This is an excellent oil, and completely under appreciated due the much onanizing over VOAs. People are not seeing their favorite additives and pass on it. It is all I am using in my MK7 Golf and it loves it. Practically no oil consumption on 5K OCIs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back