My wife is wanting a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping the the horsepower on the RAV4 would be a plus. My Ford Escape scares her, it’s a rocket ship.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
My Ford Escape scares her, it’s a rocket ship.

Rocket ship?

An Escape?

I'll abandon all hope of further rational discussion...

35.gif

CX5, no question. They are lovely to drive, several of our friends have them and none have had any issues.

Having said that, I'd wait until the 2019 Rav is released and have a test drive of both before deciding.

Originally Posted By: hpb
CX5, no question. They are lovely to drive, several of our friends have them and none have had any issues.

Having said that, I'd wait until the 2019 Rav is released and have a test drive of both before deciding.

Meh, there's not a noticeable difference in the driving dynamics of my daughter's '15 CX-5 and our '14 RAV, both 2.5s. Blindfolded you couldn't tell one from the other, Zoom Zoom is over rated. Both competent, neither a bad choice.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I rented a V6 AWD GMC Acadia a while back. I found it to be one of the nicest driving SUV's around. It's not a compact SUV, more like a smaller mid-size. I liked it far more than the Explorers I've been renting. It was far more "lively" and responsive. A very pleasant surprise in every way.

The Acadia is also considerably smaller than the Explorer.

I cringe every time I get a Hyundai or Kia SUV, I hate 'em. But of the two, I prefer the Kia. Just drives better.

The CRV is a nice little SUV, but it's noisy to me.

Every time I get in to my Wife's Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited-I cringe thinking I could have spent $5,000.00 more on a Pilot or Highlander........

Yet youre complaining that a Subaru is underpowered?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I feel for a car salesman that I don’t even know …

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yep, 245HP. Drive one with the 2.0T and you’ll see.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I rented a V6 AWD GMC Acadia a while back. I found it to be one of the nicest driving SUV's around. It's not a compact SUV, more like a smaller mid-size. I liked it far more than the Explorers I've been renting. It was far more "lively" and responsive. A very pleasant surprise in every way.

The Acadia is also considerably smaller than the Explorer.

I cringe every time I get a Hyundai or Kia SUV, I hate 'em. But of the two, I prefer the Kia. Just drives better.

The CRV is a nice little SUV, but it's noisy to me.

Every time I get in to my Wife's Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited-I cringe thinking I could have spent $5,000.00 more on a Pilot or Highlander........

Why? $5000 is $5000.

We only had one as a rental, but it was like two weeks when our van was getting repaired. It didnt seem horrible. It was as good as any other run of the mill "utility" vehicle that is based upon a car.

None of them match the toughness, capability, or size of a Suburban. Theyre just minivans for insecure folks who dont want minivans.

And they merely are a marginally more useful size than the smaller utes.

I cant comment on an XL limited trim. Id never buy a car that done up as there are too many things to go wrong. But one of the things I like about the Hyundai is the clean and simple design, control layout, etc. All makes have the same plastic leather, gawdy screens, and other doodads destined to fail.

What was so bad about the Santa Fe? I assume it is a recent model, and not one of these:

613pPpA3JFL.jpg

so I owned a 2015 CX5 for 8 months. I really liked it. Only got rid of it once I saw the dash design of the then new 2016 6, and I missed having a manual. The newer ones are even nicer. I told one of my local reps at work about it as his wife was looking for a small CUV/SUV. He was concerned about power as she was used to driving an Infiniti. Turns out she loved the new CX5 and they bought it. It looks sharp. The CX9 is what I would get but its considerably more money.

Hard to go wrong with the Rav-4. It’s a solid choice in that segment. That being said, there’s strong competition in the CUV segment right now and lots of good offerings all the way around. If she has a need for speed she may not like the Rav-4 but it seems to do quite well at everything else. Ours is the Limited with AWD and it gets around great in the snow on some fairly steep hills around our house, gets decent mileage, and has been trouble free for us.

MParr
Approx 2.5 yrs ago I bought my wife a 2015 Lincoln MKC. (We traded in her Ford Escape) It's been a great car, and she absolutely loves it. I highly recommend it.
Good Luck

I never understood these threads. Buy your new car and post pictures of it in the vehicle section.

Hyundai Tucson Sport.

Not sure what you mean by her 200hp Kia being quick, I've got basically the same car. Certainly not quick.

No to Korean cars. The engine and tranny are not refined. The ride quality is terrible.

Wife was driving the rental Kia CUV and I wanted to comment on her lousy driving that was making me nauseous.

Then we switched seats and she was complaining that I was making her sick with my driving. Pretty soon we realized whoever was unlucky enough to ride shotgun was going to toss their cookies.

Friends Kia has had multiple warranty claims denied. Spend the extra three grand on Japanese if you're looking east.

Subaru definitely > Korean

Originally Posted By: DdDd
No to Korean cars. The engine and tranny are not refined. The ride quality is terrible.

Wife was driving the rental Kia CUV and I wanted to comment on her lousy driving that was making me nauseous.

Then we switched seats and she was complaining that I was making her sick with my driving. Pretty soon we realized whoever was unlucky enough to ride shotgun was going to toss their cookies.

Friends Kia has had multiple warranty claims denied. Spend the extra three grand on Japanese if you're looking east.

Subaru definitely > Korean
Was this in 2002?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back