My wife is wanting a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and it has been trouble free. One recall notice, but I can't remember what for. You could probably do 2WD in GA. I can understand dislike for a particular brand; I promised myself I would never buy another Ford 30 years ago and now there are 3 in the household. I like the Equinox, but it's your money.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What was so bad about the Santa Fe? I assume it is a recent model, and not one of these:

Not any one thing. I really enjoy "drivers" cars. So, I like crisp throttle response, firm powerful brakes, sharp steering, capable suspension that is not upset by corner bumps and so on.

I rent cars/suv's every week due to my career in aviation. So it's not just one bad example that has me thinking the way I do. The Hyundai's universally have squishy, less than professional brakes, whiny engines, steering feel from the 1980's and are noisier than others. In fact, I'd put them at a decade behind in overall driving dynamics.

I sometimes post a review about a noteworthy vehicle. The Chinese Buick SUV was great example, DISLIKE was the bottom line. Not because it was truly horrible, (new, It did have rust starting in the engine bay) but because it was stupidly expensive, had poor driving dynamics, had no power, and the KIA SUV (half the cost) I rented immediately afterwards was actually a better driving vehicle!

That said, the Acadia V6 AWD was the best driving SUV I've rented. It did everything very well and was plenty responsive, economical, and fun.

Also, I dislike so many GM products, I'm no GM fanboi. The 4 cyl Impala's I rent are some of the worst driving cars (for an enthusiast) made today. GM hides the 4 cylinder noise with active noise cancelling. But take it on a long trip, loaded up and all it's shortcomings really show up. When was the last time you had a front suspension top out noisily on less than perfect side roads? Never comes to mind, but GM manages to get the Impala 4 to do it! Same goes for the Malibu and others. The Acadia was a very pleasant surprise.

Some cars I like:

Accord 2.0
Camry inc hybrid
Mazda 6
Challenger/Charger V8
Mustang 5.0
Acadia
Maxima
Q50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.