My wife is wanting a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are selling our old home tomorrow and my wife is wanting a new car. She wants a small SUV similar in size to my Escape. She says she doesn’t want an Escape. That whittles it down to just a few possibilities. GM? No way!
Honda CR-V EX 1.5T? There seems to be problems with fuel dilution of the oil.
Mazda CX-5? Overall a pretty good vehicle. Maybe a little small.
Toyota RAV4? Nice car, a little underpowered.
VW Tiguan? I’m starting to like this car a lot. I’m not sure about reliability.
KIA Sportage? A reliable car. Fuel mileage is a little worse than the others
Hyundai Tucson Sport? Very close to the Sportage.
Subaru doesn’t make the cut.
I would appreciate some input. Please don’t cite Consumer Reports, they take payola.
Personal experience is a better gauge.

Last edited:
I drove sportage few weeks ago and while it was ok, but the engine sounds horrible. I wasn’t impressed with mpg either - 100% higwaybi barely got 29mpg (my pilot with 3.5l does better). Personally, if i was to choose the car for my wife, i’d go for Toyota. Wait till 2019 is out, it looks really awesome. Btw, CRV is noce as well but CVT kills it(for me at least)

Who's driving the car? Your wife wants a car but you're listing your preferences and dislikes.

We've owned a '14 RAV4 since new and I'd ask underpowered compared to what?

Daughter has owned '15 CX-5 since new and it's identical in size to the RAV so small compared to what?

Both have been trouble free.

All of these cute utes are within a tick of each other in all dimensions. Let wife pick her car, live happy life.

The Tiguan is pretty classy looking and will most likely have the best interior.

They drive very nicely for an CUV.

If you maintain it properly then it will be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
I would appreciate some input. Please don’t cite Consumer Reports, they take payola.

Can you cite anything that says they do?

It's pretty clear that they don't. But they have a different consumer bias which might not be a bias that you share.

You should also mention a budget, otherwise I'm surprised no one has jumped in yet with a Mercedes GLC or GLE recommendation.

Wolf359
I bought things based on their reviews and they never measured up to their hype. Mercedes isn’t on my list.

Last edited:
The one she likes. That is how we ended up with a 2018 VW Tiguan she really liked it. So many excellent choices in that class hard to go wrong..

The 2015 Cherokee in my signature is a well rounded car. My one gripe is the 1st-2nd gear shifts which can at times be jerky. No experience with the new updated 2019 though.

Also have driven the 2018 Mazda CX-5, solid car. Hard to go wrong with either.

We’ve been very happy with the Mazda CX5. Gets just over 29mpg mixed driving. I’ve seen 34 on the highway. If it’s not big enough, the cx9 could be an option.

AZJeff
I will let her choose. I do have some input. She’s also used to her 200hp KIA and stepping down in horsepower might not be what she will like.

PimTac
I really like the styling of the CX-5 and she does too. The CX-5 will be getting a test drive. The VW Tiguan will be getting a test drive, as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parshisa
I drove sportage few weeks ago and while it was ok, but the engine sounds horrible. I wasn’t impressed with mpg either - 100% higwaybi barely got 29mpg (my pilot with 3.5l does better). Personally, if i was to choose the car for my wife, i’d go for Toyota. Wait till 2019 is out, it looks really awesome. Btw, CRV is noce as well but CVT kills it(for me at least)

Parshisa has touched a good point. Check first if a CVT is acceptable to her.

Tuscon and Rav4 would be my choice.
Both excellent vehicles, though the Tuscon styling is impressive.
Reliability they may be better than the Toyo Rav4.
Others are not far behind and the small SUV segment has some wonderful picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back