Does ST Syn HM contain extra seal conditioners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a jug of super tech high mileage synthetic today and noticed it didnt mention much about what makes it a high mileage oil. The conventional version lists everything including extra seal conditioners. Im just curious if the synthetic version doesnt use extra seal swellers since its D1G2 or if it just doesnt list them. Any input is appreciated

If I remember correctly, Warren used to be quite good about communicating with customer inquiries. If this is WPP, why don't you ask them and report their answer. My assumption about all HM oils is that they do contain extra seal conditioners--"seal swellers" is hopefully a bit of an over statement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: csandste
..."seal swellers" is hopefully a bit of an over statement.

I remember listening to a couple of 'old schoolers' talk some 35 years ago. They were talking about putting brake fluid in the oil to 'swell the seals'. According to them, it worked. Thinking about it made my hair stand straight up, then as a young man as much as it does today.

I think the term "seal swellers" are imbedded in our "nearing elderly" brains because that's what all treatments did at that time. You waited until you got a leak, it would swell everything up, the seal would completely fail after a while and big damage was done. That's why "conditioning" is no longer "swelling". Think something similar, only on the cooling side, resulted in one of my two engine failures in almost forty cars. The other was a used Ford Festiva that I picked up really cheap which looked like it had no oil changes in its first 28,000 miles-- died at about 110K. Engine was never clean but it kept on working.

Until recently ExxonMobil described it on their website as a "seal sweller" but I don't see that term any more.

One could assume the additive and function is still the same, just the name has changed to protect the innocent.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Until recently ExxonMobil described it on their website as a "seal sweller" but I don't see that term any more.

Had to of-been an old-school Exxon white-shirt responsible for that seal sweller wording. No Mobil big-shot would ever agree to it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Slightly more seal conditioner and cleaning additive in the HM.

In the synthetic version? How do you know this? Just curious

Did you ever bother to call them? They have the best answers, not anyone here without the tech specs.
Yes, I have called oil companies in the past. More than a couple have stated exactly what I've written above and >>>..... slightly more seal conditioner and cleaning additive in the HM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back