Jetta Wagons 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into these. I want a 2.5, because I don't want potential DI problems with other engines. I'm looking at 2009 to 2014 models.

What are the differences, or best years?

Thanks!

I know Jetta SEDAN models before 2011 had some transmission issues, not sure if the wagons are the same. The 2.5 is a solid motor, the 1.8T appears to be as well.

2009 to 2014 models are best because...
Originally Posted By: ET16
potential DI problems with other engines.

My experience with VW is that VW is pretty good about addressing issues by making parts revisions, even on models no longer made.
The last model year or two of the generation your looking for will be best. The 2.5L 5 cylinder is a long lived engine and the
vehicle itself is fairly reliable.
VW didn't cheap/decontent the wagons like they did the Jetta Sedan starting model year 2011.

The '09 to '10 models were the MK5 and '11 and up are MK6's. The 2.5 after 2008 was a solid engine, although if you find an older model the vacuum pump may be leaky. The top fluid filled motor mounts are known to leak, but easy to replace. Other than that nothing sticks out in my mind. They are more forgiving engines as far as maintenance goes. Never had a single issue with my 2008 Jetta.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Torquey motor but thirsty.

I don’t understand the thing about DI motors at all.

I thought the DI engines are subject to intake valve deposits.

I've read that the motor must be removed to replace an A/T on the 2.5 VW......I'd look for an M/T. I like that model as well but used VWs tend to be pricy.

2.5 are solid engines, just serviced one with 228 on thursday. Vacuum pump is a typical leak, but if you know what you're doing you can remove the transmission linkage and sneak the gasket in or out, otherwise most places pull the trans. Some also had timing chain issues if people were lazy with the oil change. These are relatively cheap and reliable cars, wouldn't be bad to find a clean one with low miles and have it checked out before purchasing.

Found a manual 2.5 wagon for a friend and its served him well. Yes the mk7 wagons are a lot nicer but he paid 1/4 the price for a wagon with 130k on it. Economically he is way ahead. If you can easily afford the new one its worth the upgrade over the mk6.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I've read that the motor must be removed to replace an A/T on the 2.5 VW......I'd look for an M/T. I like that model as well but used VWs tend to be pricy.

Incorrect. AT and MT are almost the same labor time to R&R.

In any case, it's not often you'd need to replace an AT anyway - it's an Aisin 6 speed. If they have any trouble it all, it'll be with the valve body which is a simple swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back