Correct oil filter canister size for a FRAM XG3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not been changing the oil on my Mazda5 (been going to Valvoline) but I am going to start doing it myself. It has some annoying plastic covering the underside of the engine bay with a hole for the oil filter and a hole for the drain plug. I'd like to keep all the plastic intact and just use an oil filter canister-type remover on the end of ratchet. I assumed there would be somewhere I can look up the size/# of flutes I need but [censored] if I can't find this info....

I think a 74mm 14 fluted will work - anyone know where I can look this info up to be sure?

I can't answer your question regarding the cannister/flute size, but I can tell you this: Since you're doing it yourself, if you're putting the filter on right, you absolutely do not need a wrench to either mount the filter OR remove it. Putting it on with a wrench will result in it being overtightened, and if it requires a wrench to take it off, you put it on too tight.

Your under-engine layout sounds almost exactly the same as what's underneath my Fusion, and I use the same filter as you.. guessing you have the 2.5 engine in that car. Hand-Tighten that filter.

I have a 74/76...*14 for most filters for our Mazda3 but you'll need a 74/76...*15 for a Fram 3614. this number^^^ is stamped in the underside of the cup style remover.

I've experimented at Walmart with their canister remover(cup/socket style) and the Fram 3614 is slightly larger compared to the others in stock such as Mobil1, MotorCraft, SuperTech & Purolator.

Very few filters ever, was I able to remove by hand even when installing by hand. After 4-6 months OCI, they're on there!

Last edited:
Thanks, SirTanon.

I will hand tighten the filter but since I haven't been changing the filter myself I'm just trying to be prepared. The plastic hole is not much larger than my hand (I have large hands) and there's no real way for me to get any leverage if the last guy over-tightened the filter.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have a 74/76...*14 for most filters for our Mazda3 but you'll need a 74/76...*15 for a Fram 3614. this number^^^ is stamped in the underside of the cup style remover.

I've experimented at Walmart with their canister remover(cup/socket style) and the Fram 3614 is slightly larger compared to the others in stock such as Mobil1, MotorCraft, SuperTech & Purolator.

Very few filters ever, was I able to remove by hand even when installing by hand. After 4-6 months OCI, they're on there!

Thanks Char Baby! Just what I was looking for!

The oil filter hole in the splash shield of our Mazda3 if offset to the right instead of directly center of the oil filter.

I drilled a large hole in the shield(directly below the filter) to reach upward/into with an extension and install the filter with the cup style filter remover.

I put the oil filter in the cup/wrench, place it under the shield inline with the filter mount and just screw it on by hand using the extension & guiding with my hand through the hole.

Then while fully reaching into the offset hole, I'll finish with my hand(my hands are LARGE too). OR, I'll just snug it with a ratchet...VERY LIGHTLY/MILDLY, just so it's snug. You'll know!

Last edited:
If it will fit, look into getting one of the filter wrenches with "fingers" on the end of it (like THIS or THIS). Grip much better and can be used for more than one filter size.

I bought a cap end wrench for my truck, I test fitted a Motorcraft filter while at Walmart to find the right one. While it fit the Motorcraft filter perfect, it did not fit other filter brands that fit my truck, so I bought another one.
I use a strap wrench on my Scion, but if I ever need another filter wrench, it will be the finger type.

I don’t use a filter tool as I turn by hand but I found sometimes they get stuck and it’s hard to grip them so a piece of sand paper works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back