Oil filter wrench size Part Deux

D60

Based upon caliper measurements I went looking for a 63mm 14fl (flute) cup wrench yesterday.

I came across an old thread from @The Critic in '11:
Assenmacher used to make one as model 5063. Per Assenmacher they've since discontinued this wrench and claim the replacement is the JAS6514 which, by their own specs, is a 65mm 14fl wrench.

This is both per Assenmacher via email and if you search 5063 on their site it redirects you to the JAS6514.

I replied asking how 63mm is 65mm, but no response yet. Does anyone have experience with the JAS6514? Can it warp space/time reality to make 65mm act like 63mm?

Wondering what The Critic settled on?

I have an AST TOY 640 which is 64mm with 14 flats. It works perfectly for the filter cap on a 2010 Corolla and for the filters on a 2000 Prizm. It would not work on my 2015 Civic. For the Civic I use a 65mm/14 flats cap wrench, which fits fine on a Fram TG7317.

I've already got both versions of the MotivX for Toyota. The latter version at least claims to be 64.3mm. I find that oddly specific but I also doubt any other run-of-the-mill "64mm" would be less than that extra .3mm -- typically wrenches are a touch larger than nominal.

I'm seeking a 63mm and I did order a KTC on ebay yesterday, shipped from JP

I'm mostly intrigued by Assenmacher's claim that a 63mm tool is now replaced by 65mm -- esp when we know 64mm is also a thing.

It feels like needing a 13mm and someone says, "That's obsolete but please order our 14mm, it's close enough"

It's been awhile since I have bought an oil filter wrench. I am 70 so have been working on cars for 53 years and have bags of oil filter wrenches, a blow mold case of HF filter wrenches and all the oil filter wrenches my Dad had collected over his years. I use a strap wrench for my PSD oil filter.

What is the application? The standard Toyota canister oil filter wrenches are my go to for most asian cars other than the ones that use a 67 or 68mm filter. I can say I dont own anything smaller than those

I have one that has spring-loaded "flutes" which grip to the filter regardless of the filter's size. I've yet to find a filter it won't work on.

Would that work in the OP's case?

I have one that has spring-loaded "flutes" which grip to the filter regardless of the filter's size. I've yet to find a filter it won't work on.

Would that work in the OP's case?
Will this work for snugging a filter? For the sake of fantasy land --just humor me-- let's assume the filter cannot be sufficiently tightened "by hand".

Will this work for snugging a filter? For the sake of fantasy land --just humor me-- let's assume the filter cannot be sufficiently tightened "by hand".
Hmmmmm.... I'm not sure. Quite possibly it might only grip in one direction, IE, counter-clockwise.

Back