Chrysler NAG1 transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes Mercedes E420 has had maxlife dex/merc for the last 25k on the same transmission. No issues whatsoever. I drain a quart and top up every other oil change. Car drives beautifully for having 160k on it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I thought you needed to use a Mercedes Benz 236.14 spec fluid...

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...amp;suchbegriff

The Mercedes model number for the transmission family is 722.6 or something like that IIRC. I can't speak to which Mercedes spec is supposed to be followed for filling one of those bad boys up with fluid, but then again I don't need to, I don't drive a Mercedes
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Being right is one thing being on the right side of an argument is another. Most of the time those to occupy the same space when they do that’s great. But sometimes they do not when they don’t that’s terrible.

The transmission in question was designed and built by Mercedes and used in Mercedes vehicles long before dodge got a hold of it. that is right.

Transmission fluid spec for the Mercedes version of this transmission will undoubtably work in the Chrysler version as well. That is right.

However when the transmission is installed in a Chrysler car covered by Chrysler warranty it’s a Chrysler transmission, and failure to use the designated fluids Chrysler says to use will put you in the wrong. No service advisor worth his salt will OK warranty claim for transmission problems on a transmission in which the owner has used transmission fluid that does not meet the specs of the manufacturer . Which is Chrysler in this case.

We could argue until we were blue in the face with the service advisor and tell him it’s a Mercedes transmission we don’t have to use with Chrysler says we have to use for transmission fluid. We might be right but we would be in the wrong and they would never OK a warranty claim made in such a scenario.

Now if the car is out of warranty I say go nuts! Use royal purple Lucas Emma soul ATF +4 anything you want or anything that works. But while it is still under warranty it would be foolish not to follow the rules that out by the company providing the warranty.

And finally at the risk of putting to find a point on all of this I would like to add one last suggestion for the OP. If you’re going to use Macs life then use Macs life. If you’re going to use ATF +4 can use ATF +4. However I would not mix and match between the two unless you were some sort of an emergency whether or not they both will work and I think that they will I think we can all agree If they are not the same fluid so mixing and matching could lead to I’m predictable results. And if there’s one thing you do not want an automatic transmission it’s unpredictability.

Nuke, Out!

I agree Nuke. While Amsoil might be considered the nectar of the Gods, and I'm a big fan of Maxlife ATF I will only use ATF+4 in both my Jeeps. It is a synthetic ATF and seems to be working perfectly in both my Jeeps. Mixing ATF+4 with one of the universal fluids by doing just a pan drop and filter change, no way.

Another vote for ATF+4. Doesn’t matter what brand, as long as it’s Chrysler approved. I’ve used Valvoline, Castrol, and store brands. I’ve even mixed them with no problems.

The Nuke, I totally lost it on your “robot diarrhea” comments!
grin.gif

ATF+4 is some funky stuff. I think gear oil is even worse, though.

I forgot that NAG1 = ATF+4 sorry
45.gif

While under warranty, anything on Chrysler's official approved ATF+4 list will be fine. In fact, all of them are the same.

Once the warranty expires, use Redline C+ which is the best fluid to use where ATF+4 is called for even though it isn't officially licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back