Durable FL exterior paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last paint I used on the exterior of my house 10 years ago is Benjamin Moore. It held up incredibly. Yes its expensive but it lasts when it come to paint you can get the cheap stuff and be painting again in 5 to 7 years.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Last paint I used on the exterior of my house 10 years ago is Benjamin Moore. It held up incredibly. Yes its expensive but it lasts when it come to paint you can get the cheap stuff and be painting again in 5 to 7 years.

You need to quote a specific brand. Aura is typically Benjamin Moore's best paint, otherwise they have cheap contractor grade paints like everyone else.

I've also used Duration from Sherwin Williams. About 10 years now and it's still holding up. A little cheaper as they usually have 30-40% off sales, you just missed one.

Ben Moore has their test farm in Florida as well, I'd go for Royal or Ultra Spec.

Behr has improved a lot in the last 10 years, their color still has a fading problem but the paint itself isn't as bad as it used to be. PPG is also working on majorly revamping Glidden after Akzo Nobel neglected that brand. However, most mass-market paints are fomulated as a compromise for all of the US. I think Ben Moore, Sherwin-Williams and PPG's non-Lowe's/Home Depot/Wal-Mart lines can get away with those differences.

Does Florida have a "hometown" paint company like NorCal has Kelly-Moore, SoCal has Dunn-Edwards and Oregon/Washington with Rodda or Miller Paints? I think a more "locally-formulated" paint might be what the doctor ordered.

Stucco needs more prep - Portland cement is naturally alkaline and you need to deal with the stucco cracking. Pressure wash(you may need to do an acid etch and very thorough rinse), let the stucco dry for a week and patch it with an specialized elastomeric patching compound and seal any openings with polyurethane caulk like Sonneborn NP-1 or Sikaflex 1a.

My parents have a local brand(Kelly-Moore) on a stuccoed house from the 1930s working just fine. Ideally, an exterior paint and primer system for stucco would have high resistance to efflorescence. Since Florida is hurricane country with high winds and driving rains during the fact, an elastomeric paint can't hurt but be prepared to pay.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Does Florida have a "hometown" paint company like NorCal has Kelly-Moore, SoCal has Dunn-Edwards and Oregon/Washington with Rodda or Miller Paints? I think a more "locally-formulated" paint might be what the doctor ordered.

Coronado paint is a highly respected Florida mfg.. But, looking at their website, it now states they are owned by Benjamin Moore. If you are really OCD, ask around at places like local universities, etc.. The large ones have their own paint departments. They need quality AND value. It doesn't pay to cheap out. If it works for them.........

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My home has been painted 2X times and no pealing so far. It would be pressure washed before painting. Ed

Eddie,
was any of the 2 paints events under your ownership? did you keep a log?

Are you planning to paint yourself or are you just vetting the pro-painter's choice?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Does stucco need this prep if it already has coats of paint on it?

Nope, as long as the current paint film is on there and not bubbling/cracking/crazing/flaking off. You might need to do some prep if the pressure washer peels it off but it won't be as extensive as virgin non-coated stucco.

Kelly-Moore paint has held up extremely well here in hot & humid Tx. I've never had a mold issue, nor any problems with chalking. My siding is plywood with cedar trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back