Interior home paint choices

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'll share my experience. Painted my living room and kitchen with Sherwin-Williams Emerald Satin, and would occasionally have greasy a fingerprint to remove from around a light switch. Every time I did it with a wet sponge, the paint came off on the sponge, and eventually wore down to the previous color. I found myself painting around light switches way more often than I thought should be necessary. Had the rooms redone in Valspar Reserve semi-gloss. Not really wild about the extra shine, but I never have to touch it up.

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'll share my experience. Painted my living room and kitchen with Sherwin-Williams Emerald Satin, and would occasionally have greasy a fingerprint to remove from around a light switch. Every time I did it with a wet sponge, the paint came off on the sponge, and eventually wore down to the previous color. I found myself painting around light switches way more often than I thought should be necessary. Had the rooms redone in Valspar Reserve semi-gloss. Not really wild about the extra shine, but I never have to touch it up.
Did you know Valspar is a Sherwin Williams brand?

thank you all for the help! I went doen to my local shereib williams store, very helpful employee. I am ordering some emerald paint from them, excited to try it out.

I always bought midrange priced paint. Dont know much about it except what I read in Consumer reports.
Although, decades back I painted my first house with all BM over a coat of Glitz Primer. That was exterior though and I wanted something tough and trusted my local BM dealer.

Fast forward a couple decades (gulp) moved to South Carolina, new home, production builder, for us, very large home with a foyer and great room, 16 foot ceilings, other rooms on the first floor 10 feet and 9 on the second. Anyway, the builders spray on paint lasted for 16 years, a couple rooms I repainted with Valspar, but all the ceilings and large rooms still looked perfect. We were at the point of wanting a compete repaint but moved to the coast and left it to the new owners. House looked pristine still just to be clear before putting it on the market, I repainted trim etc. We are neat people in the sense we dont even wear shoes in the house. I would imagine builders use the cheapest stuff possible and except for some rooms where wall might get dirty or marked so does it matter?

Here is the question. Does it matter what brand paint that you use if you are now in what will most likely be your forever retirement home. No kids marking up the walls. Here is why I am asking, we are now in a brand new home, right from the builder, typical production builder sprayed on paint throughout, I can only assume the cheapest stuff there is, all new homes are spray painted, just like our last one of 16 years that except high traffic areas looked just as good as new when we sold and the high traffic areas we repainted maybe into year 12. So in this case, does it really matter what brand?

We now for decorating purposes repainting certain wall (or walls) in areas of the home, meaning one wall a different color, like this photo of what we just did in our family room. Does it really matter what paint it was? Im not a "cheap" person but for example, some high quality paints are very thick to roll on, sometimes such good coverage you end up with slight variations from the way the paint rolled on. (roller marks, different textures) So I actually prefer more watered down paint. No one is ever going to touch the walls and I guess our thinking is it's just water color on the wall. So the question is, was there something wrong with buying Glidden mid range paint for $20 a gallon in Home Depot compared to Behr for close to $40? Wall looks fantastic, compliments on the color and what would be the difference if I spent double the money?

I understand for durability getting more expensive paint but is that the only reason? This Glidden rolled on so smooth and always remembered it for that, even some decades ago on interior walls. I was actually shocked at the price so low, it was their mid tier paint.
rolled on and one coat did it over the builders white wall. Another long post! *LOL*
Anyway, expect for durability any reason to buy expensive vs less expensive paint?

The outcome for our wall couldn't be any better and the paint cost $20 for a gallon.
IMG_7029.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG

I've been doing a lot of reading prepping for a garage job, and in the forums where the pros hang out, there are basically two choices -- Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams. They'll scoff at anything in a big box home store, though some don't mind PPG, which is available at Home Despot.

Basically, you get what you pay for, in terms of ease of application, coverage, seamless touch ups/punch list, durability, etc.

The thing I don't like about S-W is that without an account, or one of their sales, the retail pricing is hard to swallow, knowing how much cheaper the pros can get it. Volume discounts/best customers getting better deals is part of business, but they game the system a bit too much for my taste. There are other quality paint makers out there, BM for one, and I'd prefer an honest price, not hoop jumping games.

I've been doing a lot of reading prepping for a garage job, and in the forums where the pros hang out, there are basically two choices -- Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams. They'll scoff at anything in a big box home store, though some don't mind PPG, which is available at Home Despot.

Basically, you get what you pay for, in terms of ease of application, coverage, seamless touch ups/punch list, durability, etc.

The thing I don't like about S-W is that without an account, or one of their sales, the retail pricing is hard to swallow, knowing how much cheaper the pros can get it. Volume discounts/best customers getting better deals is part of business, but they game the system a bit too much for my taste. There are other quality paint makers out there, BM for one, and I'd prefer an honest price, not hoop jumping games.
PPG has an exclusive line for Home Depot. It’s very similar to the Glidden. If you want the better stuff, go to a PPG store.

PPG has an exclusive line for Home Depot. It’s very similar to the Glidden. If you want the better stuff, go to a PPG store.

The tint systems are different, but the bases are said to be the same. So one should not expect to order part of their paint at HD, and part at a company store, and hope that it matches.

The Glidden line is Glidden.

And the whole idea with being in HD is to extend the PPG brand's reach in areas where they have no stores.

I have had good luck with the red label Glidden 5 gallon pail paint from home depot. It's like $100 for a pail and had fine coverage. We repainted the entire inside of our house with it. 2 coats on every room rolled on.

Back