Interior home paint choices

Hi, I am in the process of repainting several bedrooms in my new house. I have used Behr paints (home depot) in the past however have wondered if there are more durable/lasting options that people prefer. I have young kids and dogs so high wear and tear.
Thank you!

Egg shell finish in the interior latex of your choice. Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams is the longest lasting that doesn’t get faded.

Go with either Sherwin Williams Duration or Emerald in a satin finish...avoid their Superpaint. Most of my house I used Duration, Emerald in the bathrooms, and no regrets with washability and durability. I only regret the couple of rooms that have Superpaint as it doesn't hold it's sheen if you need to scrub it.

I've never used Benjamin Moore however based on what I hear I wouldn't hesitate to pick that either. Generally speaking, avoid the big box stores for paint if you're after the highest quality.

Sherwin Williams Ca$hmere low lustre. Easy to apply, great finish. Very durable and washable, Worth every penny.
I haven't done any painting since the pandemic shortages but SW used to have 30% off weekends from time to time. They advertise well in advance so you can make your plans to catch the sale.

Just remember that painting is what you do when you cannot possibly find any more prep work to do.

Hi, I am in the process of repainting several bedrooms in my new house. I have used Behr paints (home depot) in the past however have wondered if there are more durable/lasting options that people prefer. I have young kids and dogs so high wear and tear.
Thank you!
Behr Premium or Sherman Williams Emerald, go washable flat

Thank you!
PPG/Pittsburgh satin finish.

Snarl gave an excellent recommendation for Benjamin Moore Scuff-X. Its basically a paint you'd use in an elementary school.

PPG Ultralast is another top pick. Buy from a PPG paint store that use the better tints instead of a Home Depot that uses universal tints.

Personally I like eggshell, it give you some cleaning ability without shining like a new car.

@demarpaint is a wealth of good advise.
Thanks for the kind words!
Thank you!
I prefer Benjamin Moore paint. For high traffic areas I would either use Select Matte, or Select Eggshell paint. Eggshell would be the easiest to clean of the two, the Matte cleans up well, but not as well. In many situations I prefer the Matte if the walls have a lot of imperfections, and natural light washing down or along them horizontally from windows. Eggshell tends to show imperfections more. Bottom line is you have to decide if you prefer "slightly better cleaning of surfaces," [Eggshell], or "better overall appearance," [Matte]. Matte is easier to to touch up, with less flashing if touched up. One other thing to keep in mind with Eggshell finishes. Many of the paints today are marketed as "self priming," they're self priming to a point. Many times spackle will flash if not spot primed under Eggshell and Semi Gloss finishes. It doesn't flash right away, but often within a few months, especially with mid tone to darker colors. I spot prime everything I spackle, even under flat paint.

The Behr paints aren't bad, just not as good IMO as the BM paints I mentioned. HTH.

Egg shell finish in the interior latex of your choice. Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams is the longest lasting that doesn’t get faded.
I had professional painters last year paint inside my house and they gave me the choice of these two brands.

I just used Sherwin Williams emerald for my living room and was very impressed with it. Right now it is 40% off. I have 2 kids and it cleans up nicely. I used to be of the impression that BM and SW was overpriced and only for painters but I was sold when I used the urethane enamel on my exterior trim and my front door. Employees helped me pick the right product and had great advice. Much better than the big box stores trying to track down someone to mix your paint.

A professional painter told me that most of the paint manufacturers make a good paint, but that you have to buy their top-quality line. (I think one reason Benjamin Moore is so well-regarded is that they don't make a low- or mid-grade paint.)

His personal preference was Dulux's high-end line.

Any painter I have talked to uses Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams. Not a paint from Lowes or Home Depot.

Sign at paint store "men picking out paint color need a note from their wife".

Most men left on their own would probably pick out a shade I have named "guy beige". An off white/light beige that your always safe with.

Back