Snap-On Warranty Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my replacement wrench today. They made good on it. I did just buy a set of Blue-Point ratcheting wrenches so they got some more of my $$ after all.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Got my replacement wrench today. They made good on it. I did just buy a set of Blue-Point ratcheting wrenches so they got some more of my $$ after all.

What replacement wrench did they send you?

Originally Posted By: CKN
Buy a replacement at Harbor freight for cheap and move on. You could probably buy three for the price of one Snap-On tool.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I switched to Harbor Freight years ago. Their tool warranty is show them the broken one and take home a new one.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I worked with several guys over the years who had nothing but problems with Snap-On's warranty. It's pretty sad when Harbor Freight offers a better warranty than Snap-On. Especially when you compare prices of the 2.

Still have lots of Craftmans left bought about 30 years ago but when I need something new it is from Harbor Frieghts Professional line.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
They didn’t have the particular combo of sizes any more so they sent the 1/4 x 9/32. Fine with me the 1/4 is most used anyway

9/32 doubles as a 7mm, So that's a win!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
If the part number was still in production, they'd would've sent you a new wrench. Life of the tool means life of the tool and it's corresponding part number. You're being totally unreasonable.

So two people buy the same tool for the same price, both with a lifetime warranty. One buys it the day it comes out and one buys it the day it's discontinued. One gets 20 years of "lifetime" warranty and one gets 24 hours.

Reasonable?

I have some SO tools that I bought secondhand. If I paid SO prices and had this situation, would be the last I bought.

Another racket that Snap-On is into heavily, is selling with high interest rate, long term financing to young auto mechanic apprentices who work at dealerships and large auto repair centers. When you take into account the already ridiculous prices they charge, then add on the high interest rate, long term financing they nail these kids with through payroll deductions, they're right up there with drug dealers, only legal.

When I bought my new Toyota last month, the salesman wanted to show me their, "state of the art" service center. The place was huge and spotless. And in every bay there was a giant red Snap-On roller cabinet. I can't even begin to imagine what Snap-On is pulling in a month on all of that stuff.

Snap-On is in business to make money on financing tools just like the dealership makes money on customers financing new vehicles.

Do these mechanics need expensive top of the line tools that put a strain on their finances ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Do these mechanics need expensive top of the line tools that put a strain on their finances ?

No more than those same people need the new cars they have to borrow money to buy. But try telling either of them to do with something less expensive and more affordable. Snap-On and car dealerships go together in that regard. It's no wonder the service bays are full of both.

Originally Posted By: billt460

No more than those same people need the new cars they have to borrow money to buy. But try telling either of them to do with something less expensive and more affordable. Snap-On and car dealerships go together in that regard. It's no wonder the service bays are full of both.

Very well said indeed.

Let me buy you a beer!
cheers3.gif

Yes they need top quality, not necessarily Snap On brand but top shelf nevertheless. The amount of use they get 5 days a week 8 hours a day year in and year out is far beyond what lower quality tools could stand.
Most mechanics in Europe don't have huge boxes their employer supplies the tools, in the USA its a different story.

There was only one time I ever signed up for Snap On credit... Snap On guy came in with a big promotion. Sign up and buy something today and pay no interest for six months. I bought my 3/4 drive set that day. 1800 dollars. Made sure it was all paid for before they whacked me with the interest.

Every one of my tool boxes was a trade up with minimal money spent. I originally started at eighteen years old with a Mac top chest. The Snap On man took it in on trade for a small roller cab that was about 1100 dollars. I kept that for a few years until I outgrew it and stepped up again and again, each time getting good trade ins and minimal outlay. The best deal came when I had the America's Best box which I thought I would never outgrow, but I did. That box retailed around 5500. The Snap On man had an 80th anniversary box on the truck for a LONG TIME. Box was expensive and ugly. Canyon Red, same color as Campell's tomato soup with gold trim all over it, but it was a big KRL. I think he wanted 8500 for it. After it sat on the truck for way too long and I knew he needed it gone, I said what do I need to do to get this box? He ended up giving me 6500 for my old box, a pair of Snap On boots and a DVD player and I gave him the balance of 7800 dollars. I still have that box now. It's pretty full. I'm just gonna get a cart for the overflow. I don't need any bigger tool boxes.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
.....The Snap On man took it in on trade for a small roller cab that was about 1100 dollars...

.....That box retailed around 5500...

.....I think he wanted 8500 for it...

.....He ended up giving me 6500 for my old box...

.....I gave him the balance of 7800 dollars...

I simply cannot wrap my head around the financial concept of a sheet metal box with 4 wheels on it, that is designed to hold a bunch of wrenches, being worth anything remotely close to that. And I used to think women who bought their shoes in stores that didn't put the prices in the windows were nuts.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
.....The Snap On man took it in on trade for a small roller cab that was about 1100 dollars...

.....That box retailed around 5500...

.....I think he wanted 8500 for it...

.....He ended up giving me 6500 for my old box...

.....I gave him the balance of 7800 dollars...

I simply cannot wrap my head around the financial concept of a sheet metal box with 4 wheels on it, that is designed to hold a bunch of wrenches, being worth anything remotely close to that. And I used to think women who bought their shoes in stores that didn't put the prices in the windows were nuts.

I can't wrap my head around it either. Snap On makes some good stuff, but I can buy a nice used car for the price they want for some of their tool boxes. LOL

I'll tell you guys what, It didn't bother me too much until one of my guys dropped a heavy wrench on one of my drawers and ginked it up good and the replacement drawer was about 350 bucks.

For me I need a strong box with ball bearing draws that lock. Other than that I am more interested in the tools inside, they make the money.

When I was at Pepboys, I refused to go onto the Snap-On truck until I decided I need a big-bad 1/2 ratchet to my tool cart. It was one of the main tools I consistently borrowed. So I gave in and got a 15 inch 1/2 ratchet from Snap-On. It's probably my favorite hand tool now. Just feels right. The other day I let my buddy use it on two suspension bolts that a small breaker bar couldn't get. The area was too tight to get a long bar/pipe onto. Boom, the ratchet got the bolts loose and they finished their project in 10 mins. Having the right tool for the right job is worth it's weight in gold sometimes. That's a major point in why so many mechanics stick to SO.

That being said, Gearwrench 120XP ratchets are pretty awesome and I would have gone with their 1/2 inch had I not had a $20 coupon and access to the SO tool truck.

I also have a Husky 3/8 locking flex head ratchet and a long 3/8 flex head Harbor Freight ratchet that have performed admirably.

How many have you have used Sunex or Tekton? I have a set of Tekton 3/8 sockets that I paid $20 for and they have been awesome. 7-19mm no skipped sizes. Better value than HF and better quality.

Another racket that Snap-On is into heavily, is selling with high interest rate, long term financing to young auto mechanic apprentices who work at dealerships and large auto repair centers. When you take into account the already ridiculous prices they charge, then add on the high interest rate, long term financing they nail these kids with through payroll deductions, they're right up there with drug dealers, only legal.

When I bought my new Toyota last month, the salesman wanted to show me their, "state of the art" service center. The place was huge and spotless. And in every bay there was a giant red Snap-On roller cabinet. I can't even begin to imagine what Snap-On is pulling in a month on all of that stuff.

This is just one of the better reasons I don't buy SO. My SIL worked in auto body for many, many years, and he was taken in by the SO credit system to the tune of thousands of dollars. Now, I freely admit, it was his own fault, but he was a young impressionable tech, convinced by all the advertising and hype that he had to have the BEST, and that the price was worth it. Well years go by and he FINALLY got out of hock to the SO pimp, and he now has a more reasonable outlook to tools, and even tries to help young techs starting out, by helping them understand the advertising hype. I just don't care to do business with a company that preys so much on the weak. It was like if you can't buy a $200 Craftsman tool, then SO would be glad to finance a similar tool for $1200, what a croc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back