Mobil 1 0w40 to become factory fill on Corvettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not trying to be disrespectful, but I'm scratching my head here... you just spent a huge chunk of change on a brand new Vette, but won't come up with a few extra dollars to buy the correct oil?

That's a valid question, and no disrespect taken, but I also have to think of the fact that the regular Mobil 1 5w30 is a very good oil
(and is the factory fill for my 2018). M1 5w30 is $25 for 5 quarts, and I often see it for $22.88. So if the new oil costs me double that amount, am I doubling the life of my engine to go along with that higher price? Probably not. So even though the car did cost a lot of money, I still have to be practical and spend my money wisely.

Where are you seeing those prices? Not to be negative and disrespectful, but I haven't seen Mobil-1 oil that cheap in years and years up here. If you are purchasing it State side, maybe, but you are leaving out and not including the exchange rate and possible duty charges as well. Correct me, please, if I am mistaken.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mobil-...AkKEg#store=187

Sorry, I should have pointed out that those prices are in the US, I buy most of my oil down there. Even with the exchange rate it's cheaper unless there is some massive Boxing Day/Black Friday deal in Canada. Also, we have the dreaded 13% tax in Ontario, vs about 8.8% in NY. I never pay duty on the oil either, even if I just drive across for a few hours, they always let me get away with purchases of under $150 without paying a duty (only once did we pay duty for those short trips, it was when we spent $200 but we are always honest with how much we spent)

Sorry, I should have pointed out that those prices are in the US, I buy most of my oil down there. Even with the exchange rate it's cheaper unless there is some massive Boxing Day/Black Friday deal in Canada. Also, we have the dreaded 13% tax in Ontario, vs about 8.8% in NY. I never pay duty on the oil either, even if I just drive across for a few hours, they always let me get away with purchases of under $150 without paying a duty (only once did we pay duty for those short trips, it was when we spent $200 but we are always honest with how much we spent)

Thought so.
Thanks for the clarification.
11.gif

Here is a link from the Corvette Forum with more info on the new 0w40, including a PDF file from Mobil 1 with technical data on it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-...-40-update.html

Thanks...
3.53HTHS...
"70% of wear in the first 3 seconds"???
Very careful to blur the lines on Dexos, so I can understand the confusion by the OP early in the thread.

I'd use M1 10W30 HM
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Thanks...
3.53HTHS...
Very careful to blur the lines on Dexos, so I can understand the confusion by the OP early in the thread.

"Up to".

Wondering if GM will eventually go to 0W40 on all the other Corvette engine equipped models like the Camaro SS, ZL1 and CTS-V.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Thanks...
3.53HTHS...

"Up to".

SAE is wear in the first 20 minutes is the same as the next few hours. Or 70% during the warmup phase.

"Up to" 70% of wear in the first 3 seconds is B$, same as not mentioning which "dexos approved" (1 or 2) they are talking about.

According to the M1 academy
http://www.mobil1.com.au/academy/faq.aspx

their oil can get there (whereever that is) 15 seconds faster than other oils.

Both are baloney marketing fluff.

I wouldn't be worried about the cost of the new oil, I'd be more concerned about the possible extra wear and possible damage I might have done running the oil they originally spec'd for the engine. The only good news is w/o a tear down of the engine I'd never know. Also the problems associated with the wrong oil tend to show up later on in the life of the vehicle. Obviously the engineers didn't figure it right the first time or they would have never made the change.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I wouldn't be worried about the cost of the new oil, I'd be more concerned about the possible extra wear and possible damage I might have done running the oil they originally spec'd for the engine. The only good news is w/o a tear down of the engine I'd never know. Also the problems associated with the wrong oil tend to show up later on in the life of the vehicle. Obviously the engineers didn't figure it right the first time or they would have never made the change.
27.gif

I know I've gone back and forth a few times in this thread, but I have decided that I am definitely running this oil. I like the fact that they designed this oil specifically for this engine, how often does that happen? I know that M1 5w30 has provided Corvette owners reliable service for years, but the LT1 is a different engine with cylinder shutdown technology and direct injection. Those two things alone are going to put different stresses on the oil. So if GM feels that this new 0w40 is the best way to go now, I am going to follow their recommendation. I do plan on keeping this car a very long time and will drive it a lot, I fully intend to put over 250,000 miles on it.

27.gif

I think they knew, it all boils down to Cafe and what the government wants to see for fuel economy,why in the heck would you have cylinder deactivation on a high performance car. Most buying a car like this could care less about fuel mileage, if you are concerned about mpg, then your buying the wrong car, buy a Prius or a Civic imho. If Im buying a performance vehicle, I want high performance, not gas mileage. If I could afford $70k for a HP vehicle, I can afford gas and top of the line tires

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007

I think they knew, it all boils down to Cafe and what the government wants to see for fuel economy,why in the heck would you have cylinder deactivation on a high performance car. Most buying a car like this could care less about fuel mileage, if you are concerned about mpg, then your buying the wrong car, buy a Prius or a Civic imho. If Im buying a performance vehicle, I want high performance, not gas mileage. If I could afford $70k for a HP vehicle, I can afford gas and top of the line tires

I have to disagree with you there. The Corvette for me is the closest thing to a reliable exotic car that you can drive every day and doesn't cost a fortune to maintain. Part of that allure for me is that it gets pretty decent highway MPG considering how much power it has. Even without cylinder shutdown technology, I managed a best highway MPG of 37.1 in my 2005 Corvette. With this new one I know I'll be able to see over 40. When I'm going on long highway trips, especially once I'm heading down to Florida every winter, having that kind of range is a big deal to me.

I like having my cake and eating it too. What other car will run mid 11s in the quarter mile bone stock AND get 40MPG? I bet not many (certainly no other V8 powered cars)

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
27.gif

I agree 100%. They might have taken a second look at warranty claims, or the reduction of potential warranty claims and wised up. The truth, we will never know.

I have decided that I am definitely running this oil. I like the fact that they designed this oil specifically for this engine, how often does that happen?

specifically for that engine ?

Which one ?

Is the oil obsolete in the next Corvette ?

How did they back spec to other Corvettes, which have different engines ?

It's like the TGMO Koolaid, specifically designed for 20 different engines, in 6 different flavours...don't fall for the marketting.

Yes, they also recommend it for the engines that came in the previous generation Corvette, but I'm sure in their testing with this oil they focused mainly on the LT1 engine that comes in the C7.

Someone has dropped the ball big time on the rollout of this new oil! They said it would be available in dealers for Feb 1st, but here it is the end of February and very few dealers have it, and most don't even have a clue it's even coming out! The 2019s are now in people's hands, and GM pays for a 500 mile oil change on the Z51, Z06 and Grand Sport models, so a lot of those cars are going to end up going from the factory fill 0w40 to M1 5w30 on that first oil change now. Not cool, IMO. I went to a local Chevy dealer here and they also had no clue about this oil at all.
33.gif

It's a combination of both GM and Exxon though, it's GM's fault for not informing it's employees (since very few parts and service guys seem to know about this oil) and it's Exxon's fault for not having the right amount of supply for the dealer network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back