2016 Nissan Quest rust on rear hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not, I would guess the paint got chipped when the trim was installed. If only the paint got chipped and didn't go all the way to the metal the primer absorbs moisture and begins rusting in a short time.

Appreciate the input guys. I will reluctantly get it to my local Nissan dealer for it's annual state inspection that's due in April. I ask them to address this rust thing during that visit.

Downtime is a big problem with 4 kids that need to be taken in multiple directions at once, with me at work much of the time. I'll rent something if need be. Have to see how this pans out. Luckily, the rest of the van is spotless everywhere I can see; under the doors, underneath, etc.

If it was damaged before I got it, it's on them. They made such a big deal on how this was a "certified used". It was truly a joke if anyone recalls my thread on that from a year ago. They basically pencil-whipped the certification check list so badly, they extended my extended warranty to shut me up.

I work at a bodyshop that does some dealer warranty work.
I have not seen this issue on a Quest, But we have done several Altima's and if I remember right a couple Rogues.
The issue is the chrome molding will flex and move slightly and rub the paint off the gate, and the rust begins.

The ones we repaired, the dealer sent us a new "improved" chrome molding that had a strip of foam rubber on it to prevent the paint rub issue.
We sanded off as much rust as possible, removed the rest of the rust with naval jelly, applied a self etch primer sealer and repainted.

I am assuming this is your problem, but like I said, we have not done a Quest.

My 2011 Quest has not had this issue, knock on wood!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk

My 2011 Quest has not had this issue, knock on wood!

To me, that's what is so odd here. You don't see a ton of 2011+ Quests, but out of the one's I've noticed, I haven't seen any rust.

I appreciate the parts diagrams posted above, but I can't make heads/tails of the darn things.

Just an update. I had the service manager from my Nissan dealer look at the Quest today.

As I figured, the Nissan 60 month, unlimited mileage corrosion (by perforation) warranty is about useless. Surface rust concerns are only covered by the 3yr/36K mile factory bumper/bumper warranty.

It was s total run-around so far. Since all service appointments are routed through a call center for this mega dealer chain, I made a detailed appointment request and scheduled an appointment online. That was my first mistake.

A call center person called me a few days later wanting me to explain the situation further. That's when they dropped the first "Sorry. You are out of warranty.. Nothing we can do for you" bomb. The call center suggested I call the Nissan dealer's body shop which I did. The fellow at the body shop was very familiar with the rust issue I am having, but said it was way more common on Altimas and Rogues. Unfortunately he had no say in terms of warranty coverage.

After that call I ran right over to the dealer and asked the service manager to come out and look at the van. He took pics and sent it up the chain to see if they could good will it, but again stated I'm out of warranty being at 50650 miles. He did say that given the volume of Nissans they sell through their 3 local Nissan stores, chances were pretty good at getting a good will repair on this. Such a pain for a vehicle that's barely 2yrs old and barely through it's very first winter.

We'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: stroked93
My 2012 does the same thing scrub it off with clr every spring

Really? and it hasn't gotten any worse? If I could get a break in the weather and have the van for a few minutes, I'd give it a good washing and try this.

Just another update. The service manager called me a few days ago and said they were working out some type of partial coverage deal. but needed to work out the details and call me back. I'm not really interested in throwing any money at rust control due to a manufacturing defect on a 2yr/old vehicle that hasn't even endured one whole winter yet.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: stroked93
My 2012 does the same thing scrub it off with clr every spring

Really? and it hasn't gotten any worse? If I could get a break in the weather and have the van for a few minutes, I'd give it a good washing and try this.

Just another update. The service manager called me a few days ago and said they were working out some type of partial coverage deal. but needed to work out the details and call me back. I'm not really interested in throwing any money at rust control due to a manufacturing defect on a 2yr/old vehicle that hasn't even endured one whole winter yet.

The problem is that you are the 2nd owner. Fair or not, you are technically out of warranty. When it comes to these types of matters, 2nd owners are generally not treated as well.

Critic, I'm with you, but the vehicle is only about 20 months old from when it was first put on the road in S.Cal and was sold as "certified used" to us by the Nissan dealer with 32K miles on it less than a year ago. I didn't buy it because it was certified, I bought it because it was what my wife wanted. They made such a big deal out of this "certified" thing it was a joke. I even reluctantly ponied up a few more bucks for an extended warranty contract that covers me for 5yrs/120K miles.

I totally get it that limits are limits when it comes to warranties, but on something this young and having not been through one winter yet? On top of that, the big deal they made on this van and the fact I stepped up further warrants them coming my way IMO. I've probably bought a dozen vehicles from this mega dealer over the years too. Hard not to given they own most of the stores.

Last edited:
Critic, I'm with you, but the vehicle is only about 20 months old from when it was first put on the road in S.Cal and was sold as "certified used" to us by the Nissan dealer with 32K miles on it less than a year ago. I didn't buy it because it was certified, I bought it because it was what my wife wanted. They made such a big deal out of this "certified" thing it was a joke. I even reluctantly ponied up a few more bucks for an extended warranty contract that covers me for 5yrs/120K miles.

I totally get it that limits are limits when it comes to warranties, but on something this young and having not been through one winter yet? On top of that, the big deal they made on this van and the fact I stepped up further warrants them coming my way IMO. I've probably bought a dozen vehicles from this mega dealer over the years too. Hard not to given they own most of the stores.

I fully understand your position and stand by you - I am just trying to add the other perspective. Since you have purchased a number of vehicles from this establishment, hopefully they can use that in their case to Nissan to assist with the repair.

I reached out to the Nissan dealer service manager today. They're going to cover 90% of the cost of the repair. The manager claims he was trying for 100% for me, which is why it took so long for an answer. I guess the most expensive part of the repair per the service manager is the "finisher", which is the chrome piece with all the buttons and camera integrated into it. If they can't salvage and modify that, it's more expensive of a repair. I'm thinking this can't be more than a $600-800 repair, but who knows how they'll fudge the numbers. To me, it's pretty good news and gives me some faith in Nissan and this dealership.

Good lord.. I just ebay'd that rear finisher for a late model Quest and I'm seeing prices like $1600! Ugh..

Did the van used to be a rental by chance? That could be where some of their hesitation comes from. I've seen other Nissans that were rentals, bought at auctions by the dealers then certified. Usually the large rental companies keep the best condition ones and sell those on their own re-sale lots.

Yes. It was a rental. That had nothing to do with it per them. Their hesitation was that I'm at 51K miles and the warranty for this type of defect ends at 36K miles.

I reached out to the Nissan dealer service manager today. They're going to cover 90% of the cost of the repair. The manager claims he was trying for 100% for me, which is why it took so long for an answer. I guess the most expensive part of the repair per the service manager is the "finisher", which is the chrome piece with all the buttons and camera integrated into it. If they can't salvage and modify that, it's more expensive of a repair. I'm thinking this can't be more than a $600-800 repair, but who knows how they'll fudge the numbers. To me, it's pretty good news and gives me some faith in Nissan and this dealership.
Sounds like a decent deal. Who would be doing the work? The dealer or an outside body shop? What is their warranty?

Nick, the collision shop associated with this Nissan dealership would be doing the work.

Nick, the collision shop associated with this Nissan dealership would be doing the work.
If you have them do their work, make sure you understand their warranty. They might guarantee it for life, or 1 year.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you have them do their work, make sure you understand their warranty. They might guarantee it for life, or 1 year.

I'll be curious to see what their warranty is. I don't have real high expectations there if they're paying 90% on an out of warranty repair. It will be a while before I get the van in. I'll be closer to 60K miles on the ticker by the time I get it in. They're letting me call back in April to schedule a date to get this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back