Boutique oil vs. Major oil company's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The special "Stevie rate" is whatever you tell yourself. If you say it enough you'll eventually believe it.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wish I could get SS for the special Stevie rate … but will have to stick with oils from Walmart/eBay

Originally Posted By: Donald
I buy quality synthetic motor oil from Walmart, but the ATF and gear oil comes from Amsoil.

However if I won the lottery, I would buy all Amsoil.

Heck if I won the lottery, I wouldn't change oil at all. I would just buy a new car every year, or whenever it blew up, whichever came first.LOL

The formulating philosophy is often different for different classes of marketers. For example, the formulating approach for a high volume producer in a highly competitive market often starts with the marketing department. Marketing determines what claims they will need to make in order to achieve their specific goals, such as increased sales volume, profit, market position, growth, approvals, etc. These claims are then presented to the technical group who will design a testing protocol with specifications targets to support the claims. Legal and statisticians will then approve the testing protocol and specification targets to assure they can defend the claims from competitive challenges.

At this point the technical group formulates to the specification targets using the testing protocol and aiming for the lowest cost to meet the targets.

For example, let’s say marketing wishes to make a wear claim to exploit what they perceive as a weakness in their competitor’s product. Their testing of the competitor’s oil shows a wear result of 70 mg in the Sequence IVA wear test, so they direct technical to develop an oil with one-third of this value so they can claim “Three times the wear protection compared to Brand X”.

Legal approves the Sequence IVA test as a defendable industry standard, but the statisticians report that the test reproducibility is let’s say + - 17 mg, so all results below 34 mg are considered equal. The specification target is then reset to
Technical then develops an oil that meets all targets and delivers a great wear result of only 12 mg. This result, however, does not allow any additional claims since it is considered equal to a result of 34 mg. Technical now reduces the amount of the expensive anti-wear additive to achieve a result of say 33 mg and shaves five cents per quart off the cost. With projected sales of 100 million quarts, this saves the company five million dollars and marketing is able to make its claim.

Small companies often do not have the resources to play this game and are usually trying to compete against all majors rather than a specific competitor. Their claims are also often under less scrutiny. This may drive them to be more creative, in some cases making better oils using innovative additives or more expensive ingredients, in other cases equivalent oils at a lower cost using approved formulas from additive companies, and in yet other cases exaggerated or vague claims base on non-standard test methods, using terms such as “Recommended for use” or “Formulated to meet” some specification.

In short, there are good small oil companies and bad small oil companies and the buyer must be more careful. Fortunately most are good, and there are organizations that strive to keep these companies honest, such as PQIA, API, and ILMA, and the major competitors may also step in if the small company poses a threat.

Most small oil companies offer real value to consumers and should be taken seriously. The consumer simply needs to be a bit more cautious and read the labels carefully, looking for certification marks, OEM approvals, claim wording, and considering the reputation of the company.

TomNJ/VA

From my posts and research here as well as other resources, I've come to the conclusion that "regular" Royal Purple has no advantage over something "mainstream" like Valvoline SynPower (or Advanced Full Synthetic or whatever Valvoline is calling it this week) in a typical vehicle, but "special" editions of RP are beneficial for certain applications. For example, I found Royal Purple HPS 5w-30 reduced engine noise and increased fuel economy my flat-tappet cam 92 Chevy 1500 5.0L with about 250K miles.

Originally Posted By: old1
I buy quality synthetic motor oil from Walmart, but the ATF and gear oil comes from Amsoil.

However if I won the lottery, I would buy all Amsoil.

Heck if I won the lottery, I wouldn't change oil at all. I would just buy a new car every year, or whenever it blew up, whichever came first.LOL

Depends how much you won. Even a million isn't enough to retire on.

I remember back in the 80s, I spent only $4 every oil change using 3K OCI. This came out to $220 over the life of the car to get it to 164K.

I have not run a Royal Purple product since it was under Union Oil. But it may be good ...

I can say something about Redline. I have friends with blown nitro motors, and they run through Redline 50 racing oil by the drum. Why? Because it will lubricate well with massive fuel dilution.

Their Shock Proof differential oil is second to none for drag racing. Their Manual Transmission Lubricant (MTL) is recommended by BMW clubs worldwide as the cure for sticky shifting and will live under competition conditions very nicely.

It's all about the problem you are trying to solve ... They sell products for needs in smaller markets than would be cost effective for XOM or Shell.

I used to haul into E.F. Houghton (a lube maker) who is still in business going on 75 years or something. They make specialized machining fluids and lubricants for aero-space. Another market the big guys don't play in well. Too much R&D required for the market volume.

Lucas - well that's a whole nuther can of worms. Some of their stuff is OK, some is pure marketing hype ...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No need to buy a boutique oil for me. I can do better at WMT and save money in the process, and if I spend more than $25 online they'll ship it free.

A couple of 5 quart jugs gets you over $ 25 . But when I order on line , I choose the same day local pick up ( if they have it in stock ) .

I have also found , some times , the online Walmart price is cheaper than just walking in , picking it off the shelf and paying at the cashier .

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

It depends on how close you are to retirement
wink.gif
My wife and I are taking early retirement in 2022 (we'll both be 52 at the time) and so if we won a million dollars today we could definitely retire right away.

FWIW, if I were a millionaire I'd still look for sales on oil! It's the thrill of the chase!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It's how folks become millionaires
laugh.gif

“I used to haul into E.F. Houghton (a lube maker)”

Good thing you added that last tidbit. With the money angle on this thread it could have been E.F. Hutton.
(“When EF Hutton speaks, everyone listens.”)

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Does RP really have better motor oils when a small company could never have the money for RD like Exxon,BP,Shell.....etc?
My guess that M1 would be superior oil to RP or lucas or any smaller oil company products.....
My guess is this suddenly went from boutique vs majors to Mobil 1 and XOMs research budget real quick......

+1 Amsoil ATF is the best in the business IMO. Walmart for engine oil regardless.

Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 Amsoil ATF is the best in the business IMO. Walmart for engine oil regardless.
ATF and gear lubes in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 Amsoil ATF is the best in the business IMO.
ATF and gear lubes in my opinion.

By the OP's logic, that can't be possible.... Unless the logic is flawed.

I see no synthetic GL4 from Mobil, so small companies may fill the gap where big companies don't want to be bothered since the margins don't warrant it.

I like choice; For years Mobil offered no extended drain oils.

Last edited:
Most big name synthetics nowadays will run a decent interval with little wear from what I've seen. They might have a place in longer intervals.

You can probably run conventional in vehicles that are able and your car may rust out before your engine dies.

Originally Posted By: Patman

wink.gif
My wife and I are taking early retirement in 2022 (we'll both be 52 at the time) and so if we won a million dollars today we could definitely retire right away.

FWIW, if I were a millionaire I'd still look for sales on oil! It's the thrill of the chase!
smile.gif

That's even worse, it's a million divided by 2. If you were in the US, that million doesn't add up to that much after factoring in federal, state and local taxes. So after a 37% federal tax hit, you'd be left with 630k. Standard advice is a 4% withdrawal rate which is supposed to last the rest of your life. 25k/year doesn't leave much to buying a car every year.

Originally Posted By: Patman

wink.gif

smile.gif

Congrats on upcoming retirement ....I retired at 49 back in 2006.....Our house is paid off and all the cars and have no debt anymore....if we could stay out of doctors office maybe we could enjoy it. The thrill is always finding a Rolex watch at garage sale for 5 bucks thats worth 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back