Thoughts on 2007 Taurus for $3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 390pi
2007 was last year for that body style and was sold to fleet customers only.

I had a couple of those and they were just fine, cheap, basic transportation. Low tech 3.0L Vulcan 12V.

Yes I'm aware of that, I consider that a plus that they kept all the same basic engine stuff and kept updating it for so long.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It's clean. I'd be concerned about the transmission though. He works for a transmission shop and rebuilt it himself is what scares me. Did he rebuild it to unload the car, or did he rebuild as if he was giving the car to his mother? That's an answer you may never know.........

9 of 10 times a Taurus with a "rebuilt transmission" means the torque converter went out and we threw a new one in and replaced the fluid. These cars were notorious for broken torque converters. They all webt out around 100-120k

Two years ago my uncle and i bought and flipped 13 of these 03-07 taurus that had bad torque converters. Its a $400 repair for a couple guys with the know how. You can buy them with the issue all day for $800-1000. I would bet this guy is flipping this car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I offered him $2500 and he said he's already turned down $2500 a few times. It's been sitting outside the shop for just a couple weeks.

That's $500 more than I'd give for it. If everyone is offering $2500, that's probably about what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
It's clean. I'd be concerned about the transmission though. He works for a transmission shop and rebuilt it himself is what scares me. Did he rebuild it to unload the car, or did he rebuild as if he was giving the car to his mother? That's an answer you may never know.........

9 of 10 times a Taurus with a "rebuilt transmission" means the torque converter went out and we threw a new one in and replaced the fluid. These cars were notorious for broken torque converters. They all webt out around 100-120k

Two years ago my uncle and i bought and flipped 13 of these 03-07 taurus that had bad torque converters. Its a $400 repair for a couple guys with the know how. You can buy them with the issue all day for $800-1000. I would bet this guy is flipping this car.

In all honesty I'd pass.

What kind of warranty on the transmission?? If none at all.....He just threw a few fictions in it, flushed the lines & a rebuilt converter.

AX4N/AXOD equipped cars have always been popular for trans techs to buy cheap....And fix them just enough to flip them.

Last edited:
That transmission has a myriad of issues. most were at least partially resolved by 2007.

I've seen a bunch of these coming out of southern fleets (nothing wrong, clean title, moderate mileage) selling for under $1000.

How many posts have you had over the years debating oils because one was a couple bucks cheaper than another? It'd be easy to save a couple thousand here on a Taurus purchase.

Regardless, good luck with whatever you get.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

I actually asked him what he replaced in the transmission and he started listing off all the parts he replaced and I can't seem to remember now, I should have wrote it down but he mentioned torque converter, clutches and electronics/wiring iirc

I bought a 2004 Taurus in 2006.
41K miles.
Quiet comfortable car. Rode very smooth.
I really liked it.
Until one thing after another went wrong with it.
Finally had enough and i got rid of it.
I would pass,dont let a low price entice you into a potential money pit.

Sounds a little steep for that car.

My Camry was $2,100 a couple years ago... The transmissions don’t really die on them either.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I offered him $2500 and he said he's already turned down $2500 a few times. It's been sitting outside the shop for just a couple weeks.

That's $500 more than I'd give for it. If everyone is offering $2500, that's probably about what it's worth.

Show up again with a stack of $100 bills and see if he bites.

A couple weeks is a long time for a flip car to sit around. If this guy is this cheap with you he's also this cheap with the chinese parts he put in the trans. Sounds like this is a deal not meant to be.

I'd pass. I had an SEL model. That's a base SE. Doesn't even have alloy wheels. The SEL at least had climate control and the cassette player. You can get a cassette adapter so you can plug in music from your phone/mp3 device although you could just buy the climate control stereo on eBay for around $50. They stopped making the Duratec in 2005. That one had 200 hp as opposed to the 140 in the Vulcan which is all they had in 2006/2007. The common transmission failure is the weak spline in the torque converter. That's about $100 on rockauto and it's all about labor to pull and replace it. Best price I found a year ago was about $1000 at a shop but if you know how to do it, it's basically parts and fluids. That $3200 is way too high for an SE model. Some SEL models came with sunroof and leather plus the climate control. They were known to have weak springs in the rear, but any set of aftermarket quick struts should bring it back up to normal height.

Probably a person came in to fix the trans, found out how much it is to fix it and sold it to them for cheap. happens all the time. i think the stickler is if the trans comes with a warranty or not.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Does it have any other service history? If it's mechanically sound, $3,200 sounds like a decent price.

+1. If it has new tires and a battery the price is acceptable. Always a chance on the tranny but could be worse if it wasn’t rebuilt. New brakes help. Good enough.

Last edited:
$3,200?? Maybe at some "WE GUARANTEE! BAD CREDIT NO CREDIT!" place. Private sale? Not a chance. That's a $2,200 to $2,500 car at most, and that's assuming it's had all 4 struts replaced, outer tie rods replaced, lower ball joints replaced, etc.

There's nothing different about '01 and up Taurus vs. the '96-'00. Purely sheet metal and dashboard. Even the freaking doors are the exact same skin. Same junk suspension, same [censored] 25 year old Vulcan V6, same (mostly) transmission. They're fine for what they are, but for $3,200 you could do WAY better.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
There's nothing different about '01 and up Taurus vs. the '96-'00. Purely sheet metal and dashboard. Even the freaking doors are the exact same skin. Same junk suspension, same [censored] 25 year old Vulcan V6, same (mostly) transmission. They're fine for what they are, but for $3,200 you could do WAY better.

The new body style was in 2000, but those had the smaller front brakes and a 16 gallon tank instead of the 18 in the 2001+ models. The DOHC models got the AX4N transmission which was better the AX4S in the vulcan, but later on, they all went to the AX4N. I'd also look at a Sable, the Sable LS was more likely to have the dohc engine, but they stopped making them in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back