Thoughts on 2007 Taurus for $3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Also i asked him about a transmission warranty and he said he can't do it, so that sucks, but not a deal breaker. He said it was rebuilt about 2 months ago and only have 50 miles on it since then.

which means this is his flip car....

$3995 08 Corolla, miles are higher but good maintenance history. These can go 300k. Grampi on here has one with 325k and going strong.

Link

Scrap this Taurus idea. That car hasn't sold because it's overpriced and a POS. Find a Toyota. SatinSilver posted a couple. While Corolla's are gutless econoboxes, they are reliable and serve their purpose well.

Or just suck it up and take on a small car payment. If the car is for your wife, you don't want her driving some unknown heap around anyway.

I don't know how close this is to you, but I think it could be worth a look:

2011 Ford Fusion SEL - AWD - $4600

00L0L_l2aiLejXhDr_600x450.jpg

I appreciate all the recommendations, but if i go private party my max is $3,000. I have turned down the guy with the Taurus for now and if he comes down some more i might get it, but i am also going to check out local dealers when i get time, but from what i've heard they mostly only do financing on vehicles with under 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Looks good but i thought those transmissions were problematic if they weren't the sport model?

I'd say no on that one.

Accidents, repo'ed, front end damage can be seen by looking at the engine bay picture, mis-matched tires, no price listed, hasn't sold in a year, 4 owners, etc...

Usually four cylinder, automatics, Japanese sedans will be your best best for long-term reliability.

I'd skip the Fusion above because of the AWD primarily. Just saw two 2006+ Ford Fusions going to the scrap yard because of some major issue. They looked fine from the outside. These were at a charity car lot. The Fusions were some of the best looking cars on the lot but something was a matter with them. Usually when they go to the junk yard it's the engine, trans or frame rot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I appreciate all the recommendations, but if i go private party my max is $3,000. I have turned down the guy with the Taurus for now and if he comes down some more i might get it, but i am also going to check out local dealers when i get time, but from what i've heard they mostly only do financing on vehicles with under 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Looks good but i thought those transmissions were problematic if they weren't the sport model?

In terms of this one - As I understand it, the AWD models all utilize the AISIN TF-80 transmission, which as I understand it, is a solid, reliable transmission.

In terms of the other transmission - the 6F35 transmission - It have had its share of issues, but overall, it's a good trans when well maintained and properly updated/reprogrammed. Please note that the 2010 Fusion I have in my sig uses the 6F35 trans, and as of right this moment, has about 249,350 miles on it, with the original factory trans. I drive it every day back and forth to work (~110 miles round trip, about 500 miles per week), and it shifts very cleanly and reliably. I do regular drain&fill maintenance on it roughly every 25,000-30,000 miles (once per year, basically).

I plan on keeping/driving my Fusion at least until it hits 483,400 miles.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The 2011 Fusion gets the Beware of Clunker designation from this site:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fusion/2011/

So does the 2010, and my 2010 Fusion has been an awesome car for me - one of my favorites, out of all the cars I've owned, and I've owned many.

... I will also add that the majority of the issues complained about with the Fusion are focused around the 6F35 trans and 2.5 engine. The 2011 I linked has neither - It has the 3.0 V6 engine and the AISIN TF-80 trans.

The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee gets the clunker award also which isn't even their worst designation. The 2008 Accord gets their worst designation but later years are much better.

I haven't bought anything yet. I might just keep what I have for now. One of my wife's friends has an extra car they don't use, it's a 2003 camry v6 with 223k miles but it's been sitting since August and the back brakes look toast and the battery is obviously shot. It jump started fine though but it was involved in front corner damage where it had the headlight replaced and the fender is still cracked as well as something around the strut tower being replaced.

Maybe have that car checked by a shop and get the brakes and battery done. Offer the friend a grand or so. You may have $2k into it with repairs and purchase price.

Dad traded in an 01 Taurus SEL in 15' for $2500 when he bought a Mazda5, that car was in show room garaged condition with only 100k miles. 3200 for the flip 07 SE with rebuild transmission is too much.

Good condition Camry for 1500 more is a much better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back