Thoughts on 2007 Taurus for $3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it's at a transmission shop. At one time I think I could've rebuilt those AXxx transaxles in my sleep.

I would look for something else.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
There's nothing different about '01 and up Taurus vs. the '96-'00. Purely sheet metal and dashboard. Even the freaking doors are the exact same skin. Same junk suspension, same [censored] 25 year old Vulcan V6, same (mostly) transmission. They're fine for what they are, but for $3,200 you could do WAY better.

The new body style was in 2000, but those had the smaller front brakes and a 16 gallon tank instead of the 18 in the 2001+ models. The DOHC models got the AX4N transmission which was better the AX4S in the vulcan, but later on, they all went to the AX4N. I'd also look at a Sable, the Sable LS was more likely to have the dohc engine, but they stopped making them in 2005.

Fair enough! A man that knows his Ford's!

I did notice randomly at work the other day that the Taurus wagons use the same rear suspension as the Continental sedans, but the Taurus sedan uses a different setup. Got to love platform sharing. Then again, a 2005 Volvo V40 looks the same at a Ford Focus underneath... talk about lipstick on a pig!

Own a Taurus for almost 18 years. Changed transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, no trouble but transmission is a weakness. Couple other considerations, that engine is prone to timing cover leaks because the timing cover is aluminum against an iron block. Typically leaks passenger side, back of engine, usually slow leak sometimes no coolant on ground because it drips onto exhaust and catalytic converter, look for white streaks or residue below on pipes. This is a labor intensive repair, at least $1000.00. Cooling system needs good maintenance because that iron block tends to clog heater cores, sometimes just a good flush, more severe heater core replacement which is a pain in the neck, have to loosen and pull the dash back. If it has timing cover leak or heater core problems I would pass. Otherwise your judgement.

Scott

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
$3,200?? Maybe at some "WE GUARANTEE! BAD CREDIT NO CREDIT!" place. Private sale? Not a chance. That's a $2,200 to $2,500 car at most, and that's assuming it's had all 4 struts replaced, outer tie rods replaced, lower ball joints replaced, etc.

There's nothing different about '01 and up Taurus vs. the '96-'00. Purely sheet metal and dashboard. Even the freaking doors are the exact same skin. Same junk suspension, same [censored] 25 year old Vulcan V6, same (mostly) transmission. They're fine for what they are, but for $3,200 you could do WAY better.

I have noticed a huge love of 90s and early 2000s american cars on this board. I'm not sure if it has to do with the average age on this board but I've never seen the GM 3.8 grandpa cars get so much love anywhere else. Especially when they buy them for their teenage kids to drive.....gross.

I'm 29 and I would never ever buy a 90s FWD american car from what clearly was the nadir of the american car industry (during my lifetime but the american companies did not get bailed out after the 1970s like they did after the [censored] they put out from 1996-bankruptcy).

Why would you spend $3200 on this when you can get a far superior imported car for the same price? With a far more durable manual trans if you desire. I am canadian and I pretty much insist on made in usa tools but even I know when to draw the line.

The DOHC models got the AX4N transmission which was better the AX4S in the vulcan, but later on, they all went to the AX4N. I'd also look at a Sable, the Sable LS was more likely to have the dohc engine, but they stopped making them in 2005.

The AX4N (Non-Synchronous) is only slightly more reliable in hard use (Constant Forced Downshifts) because it can skip ratios....Less friction cycling/wear/heat.

The AXOD/AXOD-E/AX4S (Synchronous) has to downshift through every ratio during a forced downshift, It can't go from 4th directly to 1st....It has to go though every ratio 4-3-2-1.

I applaud Ford for the engineering effort it took to change a transmissions hydraulics so radically but still retain the basic 30 year old powerflow. My opinion of the change was to make the Intech & Duratech engines feel more "sporty" than the less expensive engine options.....When that lost it's luster, They put them in everything.

I'd pass. I had an SEL model. That's a base SE. Doesn't even have alloy wheels. The SEL at least had climate control and the cassette player. You can get a cassette adapter so you can plug in music from your phone/mp3 device although you could just buy the climate control stereo on eBay for around $50. They stopped making the Duratec in 2005. That one had 200 hp as opposed to the 140 in the Vulcan which is all they had in 2006/2007. The common transmission failure is the weak spline in the torque converter. That's about $100 on rockauto and it's all about labor to pull and replace it. Best price I found a year ago was about $1000 at a shop but if you know how to do it, it's basically parts and fluids. That $3200 is way too high for an SE model. Some SEL models came with sunroof and leather plus the climate control. They were known to have weak springs in the rear, but any set of aftermarket quick struts should bring it back up to normal height.

Wolf, good post, but the cassette adapter is old man $hit. You want the Bluetooth adapter to play your smart phone over the FM radio. LOL.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Sounds a little steep for that car.

My Camry was $2,100 a couple years ago... The transmissions don’t really die on them either.

Here's an 04 Camry V6 with 170k for $2250 which seems like a good deal:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-toyota-camry-auto-runs/6497580209.html

I'm nowhere close to Cleveland, the closest city on the Craigslist is Cincinnati.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Why would you spend $3200 on this when you can get a far superior imported car for the same price? With a far more durable manual trans if you desire. I am canadian and I pretty much insist on made in usa tools but even I know when to draw the line.

I have to have an automatic for this purchase

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Wolf, good post, but the cassette adapter is old man $hit. You want the Bluetooth adapter to play your smart phone over the FM radio. LOL.

Bluetooth is over rated. I have that in the current car. Problem with it is either the phone or the airwaves. It basically skips once in a while. Somewhat annoying. When you connect directly, no such problems.

I'm not sure you can get the same thing for the same price. The reason people got them were that it was cheaper. Also in the US, US parts are cheaper than imported parts. The rotors used to be $25. Quickstruts were a little over $100 when they were on sale/rebate. Stuff like wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, sway bar links etc were all reasonably priced and were stocked by most auto parts stores. Plus if you look at other cars in the same price range, either they're older which usually means they have more rust or they have higher mileage. A lower mileage car is better than any higher mileage car no matter if foreign or domestic.

I wouldn't go more than $2K on those. The Vulcan V6 is a tough engine if not dated. The tranny is a ticking time bomb.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Offer $2500

He's already done that and was turned down.

Quote:
I offered him $2500 and he said he's already turned down $2500 a few times. It's been sitting outside the shop for just a couple weeks.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Bluetooth is over rated. I have that in the current car. Problem with it is either the phone or the airwaves. It basically skips once in a while. Somewhat annoying. When you connect directly, no such problems.

I'm not sure you can get the same thing for the same price. The reason people got them were that it was cheaper. Also in the US, US parts are cheaper than imported parts. The rotors used to be $25. Quickstruts were a little over $100 when they were on sale/rebate. Stuff like wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, sway bar links etc were all reasonably priced and were stocked by most auto parts stores. Plus if you look at other cars in the same price range, either they're older which usually means they have more rust or they have higher mileage. A lower mileage car is better than any higher mileage car no matter if foreign or domestic.

I live in canada, but the parts argument is a weak one when the labour to install the parts is the same on both cars. With the internet and especially rock auto, your information is probably 10+ years out of date. Parts made for american cars get sold in america. Parts sold for imports get sold around the world, economies of scale.

Your logic is weak on the mileage argument, too. Only a fool buys a car looking solely at mileage. The overall condition of the car is more important, not the number on the odometer and having to take the word of the owner to determine how much of that is highway. You buy on condition and you never have to worry about rollbacks if you have a keen eye and can be impartial (hard on a car you want badly).

I got him down to $3000. I'm considering this now as it has a lot of new parts including brand new tires, brakes, brake lines and the transmission of course.

Also i asked him about a transmission warranty and he said he can't do it, so that sucks, but not a deal breaker. He said it was rebuilt about 2 months ago and only have 50 miles on it since then.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Also i asked him about a transmission warranty and he said he can't do it, so that sucks, but not a deal breaker. He said it was rebuilt about 2 months ago and only have 50 miles on it since then.

The guy works for a transmission shop, he rebuilt the transmission, it only has 50 miles since rebuild, and he won't give a warranty?

Run away. There are better cars for the money.

I searched on autotrader and found a 2012 Toyota Yaris for $4995 with 125k miles. It's located close to you.

Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back