Any Fridge Experts Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think my fridge is about to give up
frown.gif

Condenser fan is not running while compressor is running. So I checked continuity for the wires for fan motor, starting from left as 1-2-3. From 1-2, there's no continuity, then there's value from 1-3 and again no continuity from 2-3.

I checked input to the fan motor and that is also showing exact same behavior. 1-2, there's nothing, then value from 1-3 and nothing from 2-3.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot it? That's the model number of fridge : GSS25WGPDBB

If anyone know a link to service manual that would be great, thanks so much
thumbsup2.gif

Sometimes this site has videos on your specific model and sometimes it's just good to find the part numbers so you can google them to find testing procedures etc.

Sorry I meant to write more but spilled my coffee an was cleaning it up.
lol.gif

Green is body ground. Orange is common black is hot or line. It comes from j8 from mother board and it branches off to condenser motor to compressor. Check wires. If compressor is running it's a bad motor or wire from compressor to motor.should be 120 volts between orange and black. Motor ohms out at 75 ohms

Originally Posted By: Badoil
Green is body ground. Orange is common black is hot or line. It comes from j8 from mother board and it branches off to condenser motor to compressor. Check wires. If compressor is running it's a bad motor or wire from compressor to motor.should be 120 volts between orange and black. Motor ohms out at 75 ohms

Here are the pictures:

Are you saying I should check at the input between Orange and Black?

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Is this the same one with the leaky valve? Sounds like it's time to replace.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Is this the same one with the leaky valve? Sounds like it's time to replace.
\
Yes, indeed and I have already ordered the valve.

Was hoping to replace it by end of next year! Let's see ...
smirk.gif

Just checked AC voltage between Orange and Black line at the input(1st pict)plug male side and it's reading 0 volts. Does it mean an issue with the control board?

I'd check continuity from the green wire to a good place on the frame and confirm its ground. Then i would find a safe way to jump 110v to the fan and see if it runs. If it does its probably the control board.

Yes should be 120 volt ac

Ok, so I checked J2 connector pin 3 and 5, I am getting 13.5ish Volts DC in it. Does it mean control board is good and just fan motor needs to be replaced? If so, why at the male side of plug I am getting 0 volts AC?

I'm not much of a fridge whisperer, but my GE fridge was just acting up. The refrigerator was warm, the freezer was normal cold. According to some google foo, the fan took a dump. I ordered a new one, replaced it, and all is well.

I used DC voltage to check. The fridge was giving 13 volts to the fan, but it wasn't running. That was as much diagnostics as I did. Replaced it, works fine now.

Saved me a service call with a technician.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'm not much of a fridge whisperer, but my GE fridge was just acting up. The refrigerator was warm, the freezer was normal cold. According to some google foo, the fan took a dump. I ordered a new one, replaced it, and all is well.

I used DC voltage to check. The fridge was giving 13 volts to the fan, but it wasn't running. That was as much diagnostics as I did. Replaced it, works fine now.

Oh, so it means fan is running on DC and not AC? If so, I tested in AC voltage for the fan male side.

So I checked at the fan input using DC and still not getting anything between Orange and Black wire
frown.gif

Fan motor is ac volts not dc. Between black and orange. Orange is common black feeds the voltage.it also feeds compressor.so if no voltage to orange and black and the compressor is running.i would check black wire

Fan motor is ac volts not dc. Between black and orange. Orange is common black feeds the voltage.it also feeds compressor.so if no voltage to orange and black and the compressor is running.i would check black wire

Thanks. Checked voltage on J2 connector between pin3/5 and pin3/8, it's 13.5ish VDC. I tried to rotate the fun, it tries to rotate in clockwise, but after 1 turn stalls and seems to be binding - not sure if it's just a fan motor issue? Thanks for any input and advice.

Should I try trace black wire and see where's it going?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Sometimes a shotgun fix is "good enough". If the parts are cheap, then why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back