Transportation options for picking up a car I bought 375 miles away?

Maybe if it was raining, freezing cold or broiling hot, but $15 to go 1 1/2 miles? I'd rather walk off the calories of a nice dinner I'd rather spend that on when I get home instead.

Sure - I've done a fair deal of walking if there were no other options. But on some trips I just used public transportation, although it might have been to be able to access it for an all-day or weekly price. My main worry would be the safety of a particular area, and some places I've been to have been somewhat sketchy.

Well good luck with it and be safe. I haven't really dealt with a rental car customer pickup and/or dropoff in about 20 years. I did it when my car was being repaired at a body shop and the insurer paid for it. I understand that it's generally based on availability of personnel, and they typically do it with a car in the rental inventory, which won't necessarily be the same car being rented. But it was fine - I think one of the more junior employees there - a part timer who said she was a college student.

I guess if you're tired you might map out available rest areas. I read somewhere that it's a four hour maximum in North Carolina and no specific limit in Virginia.

Sure - I've done a fair deal of walking if there were no other options. But on some trips I just used public transportation, although it might have been to be able to access it for an all-day or weekly price. My main worry would be the safety of a particular area, and some places I've been to have been somewhat sketchy.

Well good luck with it and be safe. I haven't really dealt with a rental car customer pickup and/or dropoff in about 20 years. I did it when my car was being repaired at a body shop and the insurer paid for it. I understand that it's generally based on availability of personnel, and they typically do it with a car in the rental inventory, which won't necessarily be the same car being rented. But it was fine - I think one of the more junior employees there - a part timer who said she was a college student.

I guess if you're tired you might map out available rest areas. I read somewhere that it's a four hour maximum in North Carolina and no specific limit in Virginia.
Avis stations use cars they don't want to keep for their local fleet for one way rentals. What one gets issued by Avis for a one way rental is almost always an adventure.

Have you ever actually had a nice dinner???
Well, I can't recall ever spending more than $15 for one. I like to eat as much as the next guy, but seeing how it all comes out the same in the end the next morning, I don't get anything from ambiance, waiters who ask if you want more water every 5 minutes or a great view.

I rented a near new Malibu from Alamo two weeks ago. I drove it 2,700 miles in two weeks on vacation. Picked it up in Michigan-returned it at the Kansas City Airport. It got a consistent 33 to 35mpg.
The CVT was one of the best I have driven.
It was decent-for what it was.

Avis stations use cars they don't want to keep for their local fleet for one way rentals. What one gets issued by Avis for a one way rental is almost always an adventure.

With other car rentals I've seen out of state license plates where I've rented, and the cars were OK. My only issue was dealing with Canadian Border Services Agency bringing in a rental car with out of state plates. They ask where you're from and then how you got there. Then get quizzed as to why your rental car rented in Seattle has an Oregon plate. I think they know all this stuff but I guess they're trying to trip people up who might otherwise be nervous.

With other car rentals I've seen out of state license plates where I've rented, and the cars were OK. My only issue was dealing with Canadian Border Services Agency bringing in a rental car with out of state plates. They ask where you're from and then how you got there. Then get quizzed as to why your rental car rented in Seattle has an Oregon plate. I think they know all this stuff but I guess they're trying to trip people up who might otherwise be nervous.
I had numerous Canadian border agents pull weapons on me doing a transfer in the demarcation area between the US and Canada at a North Dakota border crossing. Having worked with these type of personalities for years--- in this instance these agents were just bored. Not much going on at lightly used North Dakota border crossing, so they wanted a reason to do something... anything. And for note, I never crossed into Canada. No justification for their actions, but I understand how stir crazy these agents must be just sitting there day after day.

I had numerous Canadian border agents pull weapons on me doing a transfer in the demarcation area between the US and Canada at a North Dakota border crossing. Having worked with these type of personalities for years--- in this instance these agents were just bored. Not much going on at lightly used North Dakota border crossing, so they wanted a reason to do something... anything. And for note, I never crossed into Canada. No justification for their actions, but I understand how stir crazy these agents must be just sitting there day after day.

I dunno. I found them to be rather professional in BC. The questions were standard and always polite and professional, although I found different CBSA agents would give off varying vibes. One was of "I'm just doing my job" with a rather flat voice, but one seemed genuinely nice when she said "enjoy your trip". But of course they're the ones with the guns.

Imagine if it had a Canadian plate like the last car I rented from Avis in Pennsylvania had,

Market STREET is a 4-7 lane United States Highway (17) running through Wilmington, NC.
if its the market street i'm looking at, its walkable cabbage. he might get his pant legs a little dirty if its moist grass, but inhaling exhaust fumes is never enjoyable.

I'm sure
Atikovi, I get the gist that you create threads like this i suppose for your own amusement. I'll play along trying to figure out how Atikovi ticks.

1) buys cars at auction
2) figures out the plan after
3) makes threads to see how other people would handle the situation I dug myself into
4) summarize and chastise along the way.
I'm seeing it as this: He already has a plan, asks us what to do anyway, disagrees with all of us and does it his way just to prove us all wrong. Happens every time.

#5 find train routes and hitch hike it for free. Pack a lunch and blankie though. Just make sure to stiff grip the handle bar when squatting to push it out though. If you fall you gotta run to jump back on.

Atikovi, I get the gist that you create threads like this i suppose for your own amusement. I'll play along trying to figure out how Atikovi ticks.

1) buys cars at auction
2) figures out the plan after
3) makes threads to see how other people would handle the situation I dug myself into
4) summarize and chastise along the way.

be careful bud, you have opportunities to make friends.

My penske/uhaul demco whatever it is has 4 new-ish tires, newer brake actuator, plus a spare, title in my name, maybe even throw in some ratchet straps, i'll meet you at the TX border and buy you a crawfish lunch if its in lake charles or shreveport etc.
Kudos , good work, cptbarkey ^^^

I'm glad someone else saw into this and posted before me. Not a credit the forum.

Well, I can't recall ever spending more than $15 for one. I like to eat as much as the next guy, but seeing how it all comes out the same in the end the next morning, I don't get anything from ambiance, waiters who ask if you want more water every 5 minutes or a great view.
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something. -- Mitch Hedberg

Why use twice as much gas to accomplish the same thing? And if problems develop, am I going to abandon the car by the side of the road and continue home? Really?
Well, I guess my brain works a lot differently than yours. ;)

Twice as much gas???? I like to have as much control as possible. That means a lot to me.

Of course you wouldn't abandon your "broken car" by the side of the road. But it sure would be better having a friend with a car there with you versus standing on the side of the road waiting on an uber. IMHO

HA! I could pick at you in a very humorous way and ask what were you thinking buying a car at an auction in such an obscure location.

I am grinning and just having some fun with you.....

Because you are merely having some fun with us.

Back