Transportation options for picking up a car I bought 375 miles away?

I'm in the DC area and bought a car in Wilmington NC. Seeing if there are any other options for bringing it back then these. Cost is the #1 factor but convenience does have some weight.

1) Flying. That's a no starter with the cheapest fares around $250 plus getting to and from the airport.
2) Greyhound. About $55 but the schedule is no good. Leaving at 3:40 am or at 9:20 pm and getting in the next morning. No thanks.
3) Tow it back. About $210 in gas.
4) Drive a rental down and drive the car back. About $140 for the rental and gas.

Leaning toward #4 but checking if anybody has any other ideas. Wilmington is pretty far out of the way so having it shipped would be way more than any of these options.

Driving cars back is fun.

I’ve done #1 and #4. Nothing wrong with #1 but you’re in the range where flying isn’t time effective. Can you catch an amtrak out of union station or old town that gets you there? We’ve done that too. Works great.

Well, frankly, you shouldnt put yourself in such a situation. A trusted friend who would come with you and drive your vehicle back while you risk the new vehicle is the cheapest route, but that has a different kind of price.

Buy a truck and a car hauler, and you probably need a winch. You are way overdue. I'm outgrowing and selling my Penske car hauler sometime soon if you are interested and would give a BITOG discount. 🍻

Well, frankly, you shouldnt put yourself in such a situation. A trusted friend who would come with you and drive your vehicle back while you risk the new vehicle is the cheapest route, but that has a different kind of price.

Buy a truck and a car hauler, and you probably need a winch. You are way overdue.
If the timing is right I’d do the trip with @atikovi (whom
I’ve never met), just for the adventure.

I was going to ask how far the seller is willing to drive it to meet you, but then I looked at a map. By the time they get the car anywhere more convenient for you they might as well drive it to DC.

I was going to ask how far the seller is willing to drive it to meet you, but then I looked at a map. By the time they get the car anywhere more convenient for you they might as well drive it to DC.
Bought it from an auction.

You didn't say what you are buying, but I'm assuming you think it'll make the 375 miles back without problems...
2020 Corolla.

You didn't say what you are buying, but I'm assuming you think it'll make the 375 miles back without problems...
Maybe this 1982 Cadillac Cimarron- very low miles, southern car.....

Seem like a vehicle ATIKOVI might buy......

1982-Cadillac-Cimarron-1G6AG69G5CC421415-2.jpg

Not sure if it fits within your budget but......

Amtrak does this once a day. Not sure where you are in the DC area, but I plugged in WAS-WMN and consistently get a coach fare of $131 and a business class fare varies (I saw between $149 and $159). Scheduled time is 9:59 AM to 6:37 PM - I believe every day of the week. It's 4:50 from Washington Union Station to Wilson, NC on the #89 Palmetto, and then 3:47 on the #6189 connecting bus to Wilmington, NC. It says a one minute transfer, but that really means the bus is attached to the train and basically waits for it. I've heard of bus drivers waiting hours for a delayed train. The bus goes to the same transit center as Greyhound.

Of course the thing to be careful about is not to enter Wilmington, DE, which has an actual train station.

Find a friend who likes guns.

The USS North Carolina is in Wilmington, and has nine of the 16”/45 caliber variety, and 20 of the 5”/38s. That’s a lot of fun all in one place. Promise to let them visit the ship and buy their admission ticket; they’ll jump on the deal if they have 1/2 a brain. If they happen to like cool ships, they’ll have even more fun.

Back