Phantom Vehicles in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have this a lot here in CO. Mostly Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus. Particularly the CRV, RAV4, and Oubacks.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
It is hard to believe that folks drive without their lights on. I talk to OTR truck drivers from time to time and the stories that they tell about truly stupid drivers is scary.

We are at a point where daytime running lights aren't enough, full time lights when the vehicle is on will be the only fix for this. Default on every key cycle. Mandatory LED's front and rear to minimize the electrical load and for bulb longevity. Add a button to disable the lights if parked and still running but you have to be parked to activate the button.

That's my simple solution to the problem. People seem to have trouble thinking for themselves. Ain't technology grand!

That's called auto headlamps. Lots of cars have this, had them on the last few cars. Only problem is that with the switch, you can shut it off and that's what happens. My car also has a rear fog light, but lots of people turn on both front and rear fog lights when there isn't even any fog. I drive through a tunnel all the time and probably about 1/2 the cars have their headlights on due to auto headlamps and the rest are just in the dark. The drivers just need to know how to operate the car. Lets not even get started about people who back up who only use their mirrors, I've almost been hit multiple times and I see it all the time, the mirrors will just show you the guy just before you hit him.

I once followed a guy for several miles who was driving in pitch dark and pouring rain with no headlights on. He didn't even have daytime running lights. And driving a black car, of all colors. No streetlights lighting up the highway either. I flashed my lights at him multiple times, pulled up alongside him in the other lane and tried to get his attention, and nothing worked. Just totally oblivious.

Most of the newer cars have auto lights over here. My Peugeot will lit low beam and rear on startup. You have to switch the lights on for high beam. It's a basic cargo panel van that uses low beam as a DRL (obligatory in EU 2012).

I used to see this quite often when I lived in the city. There is so much light you don't notice that your headlights are not on. I've done it myself. But I never see it now that I live in a semi-rural area.

My '00 Solara had an automatic headlights on system.

My '86 Volvo had an interesting system. It had no daylight running lights and when those became the norm in Canada my car would be difficult to see in a line of cars with daylight running lights. So I turned the headlights on and left them on. When I turned the ignition on, the headlights came on. When I turned the ignition off, the headlights turned off. I had a few more burned out headlights in the 18 plus years I owned it, but nothing to speak of. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How do they see where they're going without the headlights on?

Whoever said these people are trying to "see" while they drive? I think a lot of people drive by feel and routine, as scary as that sounds.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I see quite a lot of these phantom cars on regular basis. It was not the case when the dash light were directly tied to the outside lighting.

I'm not some old geezer that is afraid of new technologies, but this is a perfect example of a new technology creating a problem and the proposed solution is to add even more complex technology.

Agree. Its pretty obvious why this happens and I have no idea who started the "Dash lights on all the time" Nonsense but its causing problems and should be stopped.

I mean Ive seen people drive older vehicles around with no headlights too, usually in a city with lots of street lighting, but Not nearly at the rate I see newer vehicles doing it.

It is hard to believe that folks drive without their lights on. I talk to OTR truck drivers from time to time and the stories that they tell about truly stupid drivers is scary.

We are at a point where daytime running lights aren't enough, full time lights when the vehicle is on will be the only fix for this. Default on every key cycle. Mandatory LED's front and rear to minimize the electrical load and for bulb longevity. Add a button to disable the lights if parked and still running but you have to be parked to activate the button.

That's my simple solution to the problem. People seem to have trouble thinking for themselves. Ain't technology grand!

Should go the other way. DRLs should be PROHIBITED, and all cars so equipped should be required to have them disabled.

I'm in favor of full time lights. These days, anything to increase awareness is a good thing. As far as phantoms go, wabbout a slate gray car, no chrome, hanging in your blind spot?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Should go the other way. DRLs should be PROHIBITED, and all cars so equipped should be required to have them disabled.

The reason that they are there is that some studies have shown that it increases safety by making the cars more visible. I doubt they would go from a position of higher safety to lower safety.

It is a gave danger to motorcclists, because it eliminates my ONLY visibility advantage: the always-on headlight.

There always have been drivers who only turned on their headlights as a last resort when absolutely 100% needed to see.

Many newer cars these days come with an auto on feature, if kept at that setting the lights go on by themselves when it starts to get dark. Doesn't solve the issue when its raining, but it would help if everyone with that feature kept it on auto (except when it rains when they should turn it to the manual on setting).

DRLs have been used in various ways in Canada, even by the same OEMs. GM, for instance, historically used in the Caprices a way that would give you effective headlights and tail lights at night, regardless of what you did with the switch. GM trucks at the same time were a totally different story.

Around here I see lots of one or the other of two:
1) Cars driving around with a headlight out. That used to be cop bait around Northern Kentucky. My mom was pulled over twice in one night on a short drive because one headlamp went out. That's how insane they were about enforcing this stuff. Nowadays maybe every 20th car I see has a headlight out and they drive around at late night with apparently no fear of the Law. And the Law apparently hasn't given them cause to fear. That being said, I won't tolerate driving around with a failed headlamp at all, even for a minute. One time I had a headlamp go out on my drive home. Dusk approached. I boogied down to the nearest big box store and replaced the headlamp as if my life depended on it.
2) Cars driving around with highbeams on (See my 'PROFANITY' thread for my response)

Saw a new one last night. EB on I90 just coming into Ellensberg, WA. 10pm at night, dead dark.
First saw it when they tapped their brakes.
BMW suv (X5?) towing a boat. At first I thought the lights on the trailer were faulty, but when I came up closer I saw the BMW did not have the lights on either. When I passed it, only the DRL "Angel eyes" were on. They were seriously driving by the minimal output of those, in almost complete darkness. It boggles the mind.
That area is a hot spot for State Patrol. I see a car pulled over or at least a cruiser just about everytime I pass though, so I hoped he got nabbed. But I didnt stick around to find out lest he plow into a barrier and careen into my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back