How aggressive is the Start/Stop in your vehicle?

Stop/start in the Jeep Wrangler is my first car with this feature.

It shuts down the engine only at a complete stop. And the engine will restart if it’s a long stop. So it’s mild and not so aggressive. I can usually prevent it from activating by lightly applying the brakes and letting up and reapplying so the Jeep is stopped but no active stop by the computer.

I don’t mind it actually. I know my mom is annoyed by her Mini Cooper’s aggressive stop/start so much so that she manually deactivates it when she uses it.

I’ve had this feature in rentals and I think BMW (and Mini by extension) are aggressive vs. FCA vehicles. 🤷‍♂️

I had a rental 2022 Hyundai Tucson that it wasn't all that bad.

But I just got back on a trip with a friend in their 2023 RAV4 and it is insanely harsh.

I refuse to buy a car that will not allow you to disable the start/stop function. The stop/start on the X1 can be switched off permanently(and is). Not so with the C43, although I do plan to code it so that stop/start remains off. In the meantime I have made a habit of switching it off as soon as I start the car- along with setting the AMG performance exhaust volume to "Annoy Bystanders."

I refuse to buy a car that will not allow you to disable the start/stop function. The stop/start on the X1 can be switched off permanently(and is). Not so with the C43, although I do plan to code it so that stop/start remains off. In the meantime I have made a habit of switching it off as soon as I start the car- along with setting the AMG performance exhaust volume to "Annoy Bystanders."
I'm liking the new profile pic :cool:

I have a hybrid, so it's part of the hybrid system, and how I can milk the electric motors in heavy traffic to use EV mode more.

And from a stop, EV motors assist also.

Our Atlas has it, very subtle. Disabled it with the reverse switch as soon as I got the car. On start, system is disabled immediately. Sometimes I turn it on at long traffic lights.

I was riding the bus the other day and noticed they are putting start stop in busses now too. I can't imagine the constant cycles on such a heavy duty engine to be good for it. Surprisingly the engine shudder is more apparent when it turns off vs turning on. I would estimate it's probably doing 20-30 start stops every hour, running day in and out. Really curious what the failure statistics look like.

I was a passenger in a 2023 Mercedes SUV and the stop/start was imo aggressive and the vehicle had a slight jerking feeling every time it restarted. If it were mine it would be sitting at the dealership getting that fixed, then after I was certain they fixed it I would disable the system. I was surprised that a high end vehicle like Mercedes stop/start would function like that.

Not a fan of stop-start. Anyone seen stats on how much gasoline is saved on a gasoline only vehicle?

On my German vehicles difficult to predict when it will stop/start when driving. Seems more aggressive braking will trigger a stop, say coming up to a light, but then I notice it will start again. Think it needs the engine running to feed juice to the battery, particularly in hot weather when the AC is running. Asked about disabling stop-start when buying the Merc but dealer informed me that was not an option. Even if turned "off", it will default to "on" after parked, unlike the older BMW that remains "off", even when parked.

Not a fan of stop-start. Anyone seen stats on how much gasoline is saved on a gasoline only vehicle?

On my German vehicles difficult to predict when it will stop/start when driving. Seems more aggressive braking will trigger a stop, say coming up to a light, but then I notice it will start again. Think it needs the engine running to feed juice to the battery, particularly in hot weather when the AC is running. Asked about disabling stop-start when buying the Merc but dealer informed me that was not an option. Even if turned "off", it will default to "on" after parked, unlike the older BMW that remains "off", even when parked.
It’s a few years old and probably well watched here. He’s also a YouTuber so I don’t claim this is accurate. However I find it entertaining if not also informative.

It’s a few years old and probably well watched here. He’s also a YouTuber so I don’t claim this is accurate. However I find it entertaining if not also informative.

Thanks. Looks like Start/Stop is a valid feature, not the nuisance I had assumed. Should have realized given the emphasis on vehicle fuel economy.

My F150 has it, though I've disabled it through FORSCAN (yes, I'm aware that I turned off my BMS), and I hated it because at times it was extremely aggressive and at other times it was like it didn't exist. If it had been consistent, I'd probably have left it alone. Pull up to one light, darn thing kept running while I sat there for 2 minutes. Very next light, I'm barely at a stop and it kicks in. Got pretty used to just letting off the brake for a split second. Wife has it in her Navigator but I am not allowed to get near her port with my laptop. I'm ok with that, as long as I can get near the important ports ;)

My starter better last forever as "Ford has really beefed up the starters due to auto stop start"

My 5 year old OG H6 AGM 760 CCA battery doesn't care that I disabled the BMS nonsense. It still tests well over 800 CCA. I give that credit to my battery tender though.....

Funny thing, I've never seen a ford starter fail (exept for once but I'm pretty sure it was a reman) they usually chew off the flywheel teeth instead or the engine blows up because there's no oil in it before the starter fails

The start stop in the new v6 frontiers we got at work is HORRIBLE. It shudders on and off, what a bad experience. On the occasion I drive one of those turds first thing I do is turn it off.

On my Volt, however, the start stop is super smooth. Yes you can obviously tell when the engine is running but it’s really well isolated and not jarring at all.

So it can be implemented properly. Easier on a hybrid than ICE only vehicle for sure though because the car can start moving before the engine is on.

Back