What manual tranny did you cut your teeth on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old Honda 250 Rebel motorcycle, but the first manual tranny in a car I drove was either the 84 2.5 Cherokee with a 5 speed or the 85 2.2 5 speed Voyager my dad had. My proper first car with a stick was my old 87 Tempo GL

I think its was a Ford Top Loader - whatever was in a 69 Fairlaine fastback (Torino) 428 CJ.

NOT a rich guy, car was only 700 bucks in 1974. No rust 68K miles. It was a kid killer though. Maybe that's why the Cop Owner got rid if it. I Kept it for 1/2 year and sold it to King Hussein's Son "Sal" who was attending University locally. He called it "Effing Coobara Jeeet"

I actually "learned" a tiny bit on a 63 Beetle. Too easy that car
smile.gif

Chrysler LeBaron GTS with the 2.2 Turbo. Fast for the time, but had torque steer due to FWD, you really had to hold onto the wheel when nailing it.

1958 Chevy Belair 3 on the column. Bought the car in 1967 with no floor (pop riveted one in), + had to pull the head and clean it up and put on new brakes. Put 30,000 miles on it for a purchase price of $100.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Ford 8N tractor.

Same here.

After that the 1970 Datsun 510 was a breeze.

BSW

Last edited:
1978 Chevy Monza. Exact same 4-speed shifter (not sure about the transmission) as my friend's '81 Z28. Stiff and notchy as could be, combined with a very neglected clutch cable made for challenging launches for a newbie.

Moline Z, hand clutch and a road gear that could get over 40mph, on to a Honda cycle then the car was a Chevy Impala with three on the tree or maybe it was a Ford cabover

1985 Honda Civic Hatchback...

i used to drive it to high school, my part time job, etc. towards the end of it's life, a few teeth on the flywheel ring gear were missing, and often that spot would line up with the starter. i'd have to get out, and push it, get back in and pop the clutch to turn the engine over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back