What manual tranny did you cut your teeth on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1972 Ford Maverick. 3-on-the-tree.

Followed by a '77 Plymouth Volare station wagon, 4 on the floor with overdrive.

Nash Metropolitan convertible on a friends dirt road when I was about 11 or 12 years old. Got my motorcycle license and first motorcycle at 13 years old.

1970 F100 4x2 4spd with a granny low 1st gear and a 300cid straight six. After that it was the other cars in the family fleet:

1978 Peugeot 504 diesel sedan and a 1967 CJ6 with the Buick 225cid V6

53 Willys Pickup. In low, you really didn't need to worry about how you let out the clutch.
Also an 82 Subaru GL and assorted tractors.

Later 1960's Volvo Wagon. An ugly beast for sure. That would have to do until I got my own manual 6 speed in 1995 (1993 Trans Am).

The entire Ford product lineup from 1978. I was a summer intern for the manual transmission department at Ford. That's where I learned to drive a stick.

My Dad's 2004 Mazda3 Sport Hatchback. He ended up having the clutch replaced a little prematurely, likely due to my inexperience.

Good times in that car!

Mine was a 1963 Simca Aronde with a 4 speed on the tree. Soon followed by a 1960 Rambler American with 3 on the tree and OD when you let off the gas. Simca was rear ended by a drunk driver while we were turning into our driveway.

Renault 16TL, 4 on the tree, mid engined, and a great car to learn on.

My LJ Torana with M20 four speed (Oz designation for the homegrown box) was where I actually learned to thrash them, snap shifting, clutchless changes (well that and an ACL injury)

My brand new 1996 Toyota Tacoma. At age 16 my parents decided that I should buy a new truck instead of a used one and it HAD to be a manual. So my Dad test drove the truck, we bought it, and drove it home. I learned to drive that later that day.

1952 Ferguson TO-30 tractor, starting at age 6.

First short drive with road-going manual: 1959 AMC Rambler Classic. It made the same clinky noises as Ford manuals of that era.

First one I drove much, or legally: 1954 Chevrolet in my signature.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
1977 MGB Tennis Ball Yellow
Loved that car.....when it ran

1976 MGB, a redish color.
Was a great deal of fun and very economical. I actually daily drove mine for some years, but I was younger then and didn't mind constant minor repairs.
There might be an easier to drive stick (okay, there is in a 1965 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 V-6), but there aren't many.
Between the slightly heavy but very progressive clutch and the rifle bolt shifter feel, the B was easy and entertaining to drive.
Paid all of $3500.00 for mine at four years of age and 18K miles. It even had a new top when I bought it.
A retro car only because the Brits built the same car for so many years, 1964 through 1980.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back