Dexron VI in my Subaru Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been draining and filling my Forester XT with Dexron 6. Just how backward compatible is it with transmissions that were intended to run Dex 3?
The vehicle is a Subaru Forester XT (turbo) with the 4EAT transmission. I am trying to reduce driveline losses.

I can tell you that the shifts are pretty hard with it and when I did a full throttle down the road it felt like it locked up in 3rd and barked the tires loudly. The dipstick on this vehicle is super hard to read so I can't be sure if it's incorrect fluid level or that the trans just hates Dex6 or if the TCU needs time to adapt.

Thanks

Forgot to mention it is the earlier SG FXT. It's an 04. 03-05 Foresters were specced for Dex3.

Subaru never listed DexVI as an appropriate fluid and informed me not to use it in my 4EAT vehicle.

Dex III up. ATF-HP is supposed to be backwards compatible to the old Dex III vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Subaru never listed DexVI as an appropriate fluid and informed me not to use it in my 4EAT vehicle.

Dex III up. ATF-HP is supposed to be backwards compatible to the old Dex III vehicles.

Interesting that they actually warned you about it. Thanks for the help. I am going to probably just go with the ATF-HP then. It's not so expensive actually.

Originally Posted By: dx92beater
I can tell you that the shifts are pretty hard with it and when I did a full throttle down the road it felt like it locked up in 3rd and barked the tires loudly.

Yikes!

A really good transmission shop can reprogram it, but its cheaper to just change the oil

Originally Posted By: dx92beater
Originally Posted By: Hollow

Interesting that they actually warned you about it. Thanks for the help. I am going to probably just go with the ATF-HP then. It's not so expensive actually.

Indeed. I emailed both Valvoline and Subaru support to inquire about their DexVI use in my DexIII spec 4 speed auto (archaic and indecisive but about bulletproof transmission when serviced once in a while). Valvoline said it was absolutely fine and Subaru said absolutely not.

Instead I went with Maxlife ATF which is a Dex/Merc fluid. Been running that for pushing 90,000 miles now, car shifts same as it ever has.

The M1 might be thicker but thought Maxlife Multi vehicle is really close ...

It will probably be fine
smile.gif

My choice would be Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic ATF

Maxlife is slightly thinner than Valvoline Dex VI (use it in my Cruze)-
I use Castrol MV in 4L60e but getting really hard to find.
If I had something pre dating Dex VI - I'd be all over Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

My choice would be Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic ATF

MaxLife will be thin compared to Subaru ATF-HP(or Nissan Matic-J) starting out - but I've used it in a friend's old Forester that was speced for Dex-III and it shifted just fine. Subaru's automatics are identical to Nissan's 4/5 speeds, seeing how Nissan once had a stake in them.

I used blue-bottle Valvoline Dex/Merc fluid (recommended by Valvoline for Dexron-III applications) and it worked great in terms of shifting and fluid condition (color) whenever I drained it which was at or close to intervals listed in the owners manual. The vehicle was 2002 Forester L with N/A H4 and 4EAT. I've never tried any other ATF in that car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back