Motomaster Formula1 Euro 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my 2010 Civic Si calls for 5W30. Would like to run a 0W30 for better cold starts (I live in Canada, and this is my winter and summer track slut).

Came across the Motomaster Formula1 Euro 0W30, bonus, often on sale for only $30 for 5L.

It is an SL grade oil, so a little more old school. It also says "suitable" for; VW 502.00, 505.00 and MB 229.3 and 229.5. Does not say "meets or exceeds", but that is likely a licencing issue.

Can't find anything on the forums about this oil. Should be a high HTHS oil, good for track duty? Most likely made by Shell/Pennzoil?

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Yes, have read through that thread several times. Honestly, I feel CTC just does not want to pay for the certifications.

Maybe, maybe not. One cannot determine this in these situations. All it means for sure is that it does not have them.

Considering that the cost of certification is actually modest a more reasonable conclusion would be that the oil cannot meet the requirements. But like I said no one knows exactly why.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I wish they could say something like, "per our testing, meets...."

Like ExxonMobil says: "According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 XW-XX is of the following quality"

For your application, it would probably work fine. If you're not averse to buying a five gallon pail, Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 would probably be a bit cheaper and have similar properties, albeit at reduced SA.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
There Euro 5w30 0w30 and 0w40 are made by Citgo

Even if true it really makes no difference. Specifications and certifications are brand dependent.

Besides, what Citgo products would you compare them to? Does Citgo brand a similar 0W-30 or 0W-40? As far as I can tell no Citgo products are Longlife-01 approved and they don't try and make it look like they are either.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There Euro 5w30 0w30 and 0w40 are made by Citgo

Even if true it really makes no difference. Specifications and certifications are brand dependent.

Besides, what Citgo products would you compare them to? Does Citgo brand a similar 0W-30 or 0W-40?

Citgo has a 5w40 with VW 502 approval. If someone wanted a cheaper VW 502 then motomaster 5w40 has that approval and made by wakefield. I have researched the POOP out of this

Last edited:
Citgo has a 5w40 with VW 502 approval. If someone wanted a cheaper VW 502 then motomaster 5w40 has that approval and made by wakefield. I have researched the POOP out of this

True. But it still doesn't transfer to Motomaster oil. According to the latest Audi approved oil list there are no Motomaster oils listed. Is there another list?

True. But it still doesn't transfer to Motomaster oil. According to the latest Audi approved oil list there are no Motomaster oils listed. Is there another list?

We already did this dance in February at least in regards to the motomaster 5w40.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4330281/Re:_MotoMaster_European_Formul#Post4330281

Why does nobody ever questions when maxlife ATF says it's suitable for every transmission ever made.

They get criticized about it all the time here. However, what's different is that several of the specs they claim are obsolete specs, for which you can no longer be licensed, and some that were never licensed out in the first place.

And, sometimes, one just has to think if one's choice makes sense. MaxLife ATF has no price advantage over a licensed Dexron VI, so I can't see me rushing to MaxLife over a licensed product.

And, one has to consider how much faith one puts in the wording "Suitable for" be it on a Canadian Tire or MaxLife bottle. It's been demonstrated before that an E7, E9 lube can, at least in certain circumstances, be "suitable for" use where certain MB and Porsche A3/B4 specs are called for. Something meeting E7, E9 at least gives me a real idea of what's going on, above and beyond Canadian Tire's API spec plus their recommendation.

I'm still not sure what CT is trying to accomplish. I know that in years past, a synthetic HDEO was considered the bargain version of a Euro oil. Then again, Canadian Tire's outrageous pricing on Rotella and Delvac have torpedoed that notion. If CT wants us to have good Euro oils at good prices, get rid of the 100% to 150% markup on Pennzoil, Castrol, and Mobil A3/B4 options.

Canadian Tire has its uses.

The trampoline I bought yesterday for $399 said suitable for children over 12 years old, but the 3 1/2 year old GS loves it.

Petro-Canada, the crowned prince of "suitable for use", not wanting to pay for redundant license fees, is OK by me.

If and when the big oil companies state; "meets or exceeds, suitable for____, etc" I don't have a problem with it.

But, when it comes from Canuck Tire or a boutique, not so much.

The USA 5 gallon pail of Mobil 1300 15w40, came from Nuwfie Speed 'n Sport (CT) & did a 3500 Ram 6.7 & 5.3 GMC for $60 Canadian, which is about $45/USD plus filters.

We already did this dance in February at least in regards to the motomaster 5w40.

We did, I apologize. You're a good dancer BTW
wink.gif

I still want to know why the Audi list is not showing it though, and why, if they do have the cert the Motomaster label doesn't say so. I'll probably never know that.

I still want to know why the Audi list is not showing it though, and why, if they do have the cert the Motomaster label doesn't say so. I'll probably never know that.

If you've ever spent a good deal of time perusing the Canadian Tire website, you wouldn't be terribly surprised by their labels.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
If it pass cert don't sweat it lab number are avail. And easily proofed. I
No number mean it doesn't pass

I can't decipher what you're trying to say. If the oil actually has the specification it should say so on the container.

If instead you are forced to search for it on an approved oil list, then the oil list should be publicly available such as the Audi list. Otherwise how is someone supposed to know?

If you are saying that a VW certification can be determined by a VOA or UOA then no way.

Why does nobody ever questions when maxlife ATF says it's suitable for every transmission ever made.

The reason is....

I trust Valvoline more than [censored] tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back