Fram Ultra FAILURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used German-made Mann filters in my BMWs. Never had an issue. From what I can gather, they are the best quality available for BMW "cartridge" applications.

This may have been damage in shipping or something too...lets not jump to conclusions. We installed Fram filters exclusively for over 20 years and NEVER had an issue...repeat NEVER...not even with the infamous OCOD.

Originally Posted By: stickybuns
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Car: BMW X3
...... About a month ago my wife started complaining that her engine was making a ticking sound. .....

Can't blame the oil filter for the ticking noise. These engines are famous for doing that, and I read it was aeration (air bubbles) in the oil doing it to the hydraulic valve lash adjusters.
Roller-finger-followers-valves-and-hydraulic-lash-adjusters-300x200.jpg

Agreed...have known several with this issue. Ive seen filters cause ticking on startup with due to poor adbv though.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I've always used German-made Mann filters in my BMWs. Never had an issue. From what I can gather, they are the best quality available for BMW "cartridge" applications.

I only run the German-made Mann cartridge filters in my Volvo S80. Excellent quality!
My OCI is ~6K miles (w/GC Edge 0W-40, 8.2QTs sump!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I only run the German-made Mann cartridge filters in my Volvo S80. Excellent quality!
My OCI is ~6K miles (w/GC Edge 0W-40, 8.2QTs sump!)

Similar here. 6,500 mile OCI with Castrol 0W-40... 9 qt sump
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Izb
About pictures from DriveHard.
Is his filter current Ultra Synthetic? Or very old Extended guard filter?

1) The date of manufacturing is Y40163. 16-Jan-1994? But Ultra Synthetic started at 2012! May be very old Extended guard filter ...
2) Compare by yourself two pictures: filter of DriveHard and current (2016) XG10075 Ultra Synthetics:
003.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The filter is stamped ULTRA as plain as day in the same picture you took the date code from.
The box I bought it in in 2014 said it was an Ultra...and came with the Ultra pricetag.
The filter was perfectly fine and intact when I installed it.
I would decode the date code as January 16th, 2014 made on the third shift...but I am not a Fram employee.

I have since switched 100% to Mann filters delivered from Amazon. Not a problem or tick since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Or Hengst, those are the usual OEM for my BMW.

I've always stuck to "German" brand (Hengst, Mahle, Mann or Bosch) cartridge filters for my European cars... are they the best? I don't know. What I do know is they are very well made and in 30 yrs of wrenching and seeing cars with over 200-300k regularly... Never a filter failure, usually cheaper to boot as well (than US variety), their good enough.

BMW specifically says not use anything but OEM essentially Mann filters. Collapsing and these issues are fairly common. I've had stp filter collapse in my BMW when I had it after that only mann's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back