Supertech lawn mower oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a difference in sae 30wt supertech lawn mower oil vs hd supertech 30wt? Thanks

why don't you just use your waste oil from your vehicle?
Youre in TN, I doubt the engine will really notice a difference,
I used to change my oil in my truck per season, and whatever I dumped went into the lawnmower for that season, as did the used filter.

That mower is now 11 years old, and the engine still hums, powers still there, the cutting deck rotted away, but it still hauls a 6 ft tractor trailer full of limerock when the road washes away.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
hd has additive. take the lawnmower oil!

Can't you buy plain additive free oil at WalMart? And I'm not talking about the sub-par dollar store stuff.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
I used to change my oil in my truck per season, and whatever I dumped went into the lawnmower for that season, as did the used filter.

That mower is now 11 years old, and the engine still hums, powers still there, the cutting deck rotted away, but it still hauls a 6 ft tractor trailer full of limerock when the road washes away.

+1

I do the same thing. I've been using spent 0w-20 and pennzoil HM 5w-30 after it leaves the truck and my push mower still runs as good as the day it was bought and its in its 5th year.

I'm not gonna knock super tech at all. It's great oil whether it's in a vehicle or yard equipment

Its labeled as SG/SF, so it might have more additives than Supertech HD30 SM. Or it might just be the same oil repackaged. Would he nice if someone sent in samples.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88

+1

I do the same thing. I've been using spent 0w-20 and pennzoil HM 5w-30 after it leaves the truck and my push mower still runs as good as the day it was bought and its in its 5th year.

I'm not gonna knock super tech at all. It's great oil whether it's in a vehicle or yard equipment

I have seen riding tractors and push mowers run exclusively on everything from used HMMWV 15w40 to used Turbine oil out of a tank, to simple CLP gun oil.

Most of the time the mowers didn't die due to the fluids, but to inexperienced city raised spoiled kids that never mowed a day in their life, apparently, some people believe Diesel, JP8, and kerosene can go into a lawn tractor.

I've gone to classes for B&S engines, ive rebuilt quite a few in my old barracks room while still in (Some even for other units ive never even been a part of)

Awards were great, but when another units CSM talks to your unit and you get days off, worth it in my opinion.

If you run 0w30 or thicker in your vehicle, theres no reason not to reuse it. Mower oil has less detergents than PCMO, additives and detergents wear over time in your engine, some to the same exact spec as NEW mower oil.

Use it with confidence. If its a Briggs with a filter, normally your Purolator 20195s, fram 3600s (and others that use fram numbering) will work. not always but mostly.

Although I agree that lawnmower engines will run on any oil you put in there, I don't think I could come to put used oil on there. It's 16 ounces. A gallon of Super Tech for under $10 will last you four 3 years or more. Just something wrong about dumping used oil in a engine.

The HD30 is rated SN. The lawn mower oil is rated SF/CJ (I think). The lawn mower oil is probably very similar, if not the same, to the ST 30 wt diesel oil.

Both would be fine in a lawn mower.

I have used nothing but (well 99% anyway) but Super Tech HD30 in my and my customers mowers for many many years. Never used the "lawn mower" stuff. And never a problem. My personal rider, a 1972 6 hp tecumseh 32 inch Swisher , has been running on it for as long as Wally world has had it I beleive, And it was bought new.

My genset, Honda mower, and snow blower all specify "multigrade engine oil". Where did the notion that such engines need "additive free" oil come from?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
My genset, Honda mower, and snow blower all specify "multigrade engine oil". Where did the notion that such engines need "additive free" oil come from?

Older motors use to say that and people kinda stuck with it even though motors got updated and improved.

I personally use a syn 10w30 in my riding mower and a 15w40 in my push mower.
Change it once a year and they keep going.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
hd has additive. take the lawnmower oil!

And what additive exactly would be problematic for the mower???

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/mower-oil-type-and-capacity

I use the same or equivalent PCMO I have on hand that I use in my cars and trucks in all my small engines and have all my life. No issues at all related to oil. As stated in the link, the same would likely be safe in most small engines other than B&S unless the manufacture of the engine states differently. B&S recommends high quality detergent oil.

Maybe your mower is a $20 Craigslist special, or perhaps a garbage pick, but I think most bloggers can afford the $2 per year it cost to put new, clean oil in our lawn mowers. Remember, some lawn mowers cost $12k dollars or more. Some cost $1000. Some are free. Recycle that used oil. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back