Mobil 1 now containing GTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
On a side note: M1 5W50 has also been replaced by M1 FS X2 5W50

I wonder how long it will be until the NAPAs carrying the current M1 5W-50 get in this new formula?

Any spec sheets on this yet??

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I was under impression Joe Gibbs will get you at least 50hp and 50 torque.

No, only self-delusion or a faulty dyno will get you that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

No, only self-delusion or a faulty dyno will get you that.
wink.gif

I mean, it is i NASCAR
laugh.gif

I dare Joe Gibbs to get involved in Formula 1 sponsorship, and see how things go.

Well, let's not get carried away with jokes
cool.gif

Well, if not, at least you spent $20 a liter.

mad.gif
mad.gif

I mean, that is impression I get fro people here
tired.gif

No that is Royal purple according to the hot rod TV shows(that is if Royal purple still sponsors them).

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20%

The decene is the light part of the PAO base oil. Decene has a 2 cst viscosity with high thermal stability, so the Noak will be lowered a lot by that, reducing the volatility of the lighter part of the oil.

that IS the PAO.

More likely to be 4cst+

1-Decene is 2 cst.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20%

The decene is the light part of the PAO base oil. Decene has a 2 cst viscosity with high thermal stability, so the Noak will be lowered a lot by that, reducing the volatility of the lighter part of the oil.

that IS the PAO.

More likely to be 4cst+

1-Decene is 2 cst.

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1572931.html

Which gives the specs for the CAS number you two are discussing: CAS Number: 68037-01-4

And shows these base oils:

-Chevron Phillips
Synfluid® PAO 4 cSt

-Chevron Phillips
Synfluid® PAO 6 cSt

-Chevron Phillips
Synfluid® PAO 8 cSt

As well as two other references. It would appear that this specific product is available in a range of viscosities and this is supported by the MSDS for the 8cSt Chevron product which lists this:

Originally Posted By: Chevron

1-Decene Homopolymer Hydrogenated 68037-01-4 100%
as the only component.
http://www.cpchem.com/msds/100000062776_SDS_US_EN.PDF

Yep, multiply mine and Shannows and you may got this CAS, hah

That one CAS number and description covers 4, 6 and 8 cSt base oils, that's what I'm pointing out
wink.gif

From the MSDS for the new Mobil 1 FS 0w-40:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!

So this either means they finally got their own bloody GTL plant on-line (which they have been working on) or they are buying GTL from SOPUS.

Well, have a glance at the Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0w30 's MSDS (a GTL oil) and you will have a nice surprise
smile.gif

I mean, that phrase in your post
cool.gif
...compare them .

here or, better, google it!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zveroboy
From the MSDS for the new Mobil 1 FS 0w-40:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!

So this either means they finally got their own bloody GTL plant on-line (which they have been working on) or they are buying GTL from SOPUS.

Well, have a glance at the Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0w30 's MSDS (a GTL oil) and you will have a nice surprise
smile.gif

I mean, that phrase in your post
cool.gif
...compare them .

here or, better, google it!
wink.gif

The phrase describes the product, why should it be surprising? The CAS #848301-69-9 and description would apply to any GTL base oil similar to Shell's, just like the other discussion about the PAO base oils in this thread which show varying viscosities and manufacturers (Chevron, Mobil...etc) all with the same CAS # and product description.

I don't think everyone understands what a CAS number really is, Overkill, and don't understand that the number is irrespective of the manufacturer of a chemical. I haven't been in a lab for a while, but I highly doubt the average chemist deals much with a CAS number. However, enforcement personnel, or anyone else needing to search an electronic database for chemicals, would use it. Realistically, it's probably a lot more useful for people who have very little scientific literacy than it is those who are actual chemists.

Sure would like to know NOACK and Sequence IVA.
Should be shear-stable since it is 229.5 and A40.

The FS 0w40 will go in the Mercedes this weekend. The last formulation was finally smooth and quiet...Hope it doesn't revert.

You guys are reading the MSDS wrong. The MSDS is not a recipe. There's lots of stuff in the oil that won't be on the MSDS, and there's stuff on the MSDS that doesn't have to be in the oil. When it says < some % it could literally mean there is 0%. The are allowed to perform this kind of trickery to protect trade secrets.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/422/gas-to-liquids

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I not quite the oil geek that some of you chemists are. I think GTL is an interesting topic, but what makes GTL better than other synthetic oils - if it is better?

That article is really worth reading as it explains that GTL base stocks have a variety of advantages over group 3 (Hydrocrack synthetics) AND are less contaminated.

Mobil have fallen behind Shell/Penn oil in technical terms and the fact they are starting to use GTL base stocks is almost an admission of that fact. Not sure what Castrol will do next, but in some ways they will also have to make the same move.

I've tried a variety of major brand full synthetics in my TDI and the results I got from Shell Ultra 5w40 (A3/B4) were almost as good as those from Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5w40 (A3/B4). Difficult to know why that was, but some articles I read say that part of the reason might be the fact that new oil is not filtered well enough to remove all contaminants, so the fact that a GTL based oil does not contain them could be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back