SuperTech 5w40 full syn - no API donut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been today at canadian Walmart, seen the "Tune-It" (a.k.a Supertech) full synthetic 5w40 oil, that doesn't carry the standard API donut marking. It just says "Recommended for ... API SN".

How come? I don't remember ever seeing anything like this.
The price is quite real, that is not cheaper than any other brand name synthetic oil when "on sale".

it was 5w40, and it's not HDEO: the "recommended" list contained SN, but not CI/CJ.

I guess it's hard to believe. I'll take a picture next time I go there.

Akela, maybe contact Safety-Kleen Canada and ask them. Maybe they can point you to a data sheet. Personally, I think that's odd. I haven't come across the grade at Walmart Canada, not like I'm there a lot. In Canada, particularly from Safety-Kleen, I'd expect a 40 grade to be an HDEO, and most 5w-40 grades are API certified, and even have ACEA approvals. It's the "stranger" grades like 0w-40 and 0w-30 that might not have all the approvals, except when they're from the absolute biggest oil companies.

I believe you. It's just odd. I wonder if it's a Safety-Kleen product, or happens to be a Petro-Canada product, like the other Tune It synthetic stuff is supposed to be. Maybe you might have to check with them. In any case, please do take a picture. You know we love that here.

Front:
QlZ0zjQ.jpg

Back:
iqGemxa.jpg

Zoomed in:
dBmBSyN.jpg

The price is $44.57 CAD (roughly $32 USD)

Looks like people are buying it - only 3 items left on the shelf.

Garak: not sure I'm that much interested in this product to contact WM or S-K... If it was for 20 bucks, then maybe
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I wouldn't buy any oil that said "Tune-It" on the bottle anyways. How dumb...

Is "Supertech" name much better?

I personally don't care how it's called... Sometimes the dumber the better, because dumb often means cheap price. And the product itself can still be quite decent.

But not in this case, obviously. There must be some reason why they allowed synthetic (!) oil without any API certification on the shelf. Wondering what can it be.

Originally Posted By: akela
Is "Supertech" name much better?

Yes! I like the SuperTech name. I like the SuperTech carb cleaner and the SuperTech penetrating oil.
smile.gif

I like the pretty blue cans with the cool graphics.
smile.gif

super-tech-aerosol-lubricant-8-fl-oz_4122825.jpg

Garak: not sure I'm that much interested in this product to contact WM or S-K... If it was for 20 bucks, then maybe
smile.gif

I don't blame you. And given the price and the lack of formal approvals and how rarely we see Tune It synthetic go on sale (i.e. have we ever?), this has to be one of the dumbest things Walmart Canada has ever done, and they've done some dumb things. I suppose it caters to Canadians buying oil only at regular price who need Euro oil, and are willing to buy without formal approvals to save $1 or $2 a jug. As for it actually selling, note the price of M1 TDT in the same aisle. Assuming someone doesn't need an actual CJ-4 lube, this might be a sensible alternative. But, the most sensible alternative is to shop elsewhere, really.

M1 0w-40 and the Euro Castrol stuff go on sale there all the time. If one wants a technically non-approved Euro oil, Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is like half the price at Imperial Oil. I'm wondering if this is a Petro-Canada formulation. They're one of the few up here that have a 5w-40 Euro synthetic, and that particular one isn't available in North America, and doesn't have much in the way of builder approvals, either. Maybe that gets some to the Canadian market, since no one is going to buy a non-approved lube from a distributor when they can get approved lubes from Pennzoil-Quaker State, Wakefield, and Imperial Oil distributors.

There are plenty of reasons to have non-certified oil on the shelf at Walmart. Look in the same aisle and you'll find one or two uncertified HM examples from the majors, not to mention VR1.

Merk: I have a sneaking suspicion that Tune It is a response to the Quebec French language police, or even French marketing, given that there is a translation that doesn't turn into mix of French and English, which they abhor.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

There are plenty of reasons to have non-certified oil on the shelf at Walmart. Look in the same aisle and you'll find one or two uncertified HM examples from the majors, not to mention VR1.

Racing oil yes, it's for different engines, different operation mode, different OCI.
But, I didn't know about non-certified HM oils. I thought they all carry some API grade, maybe obsolete, like SL or SM.

I'd think there must be some reason justifying the absence of the API grade. Be it either some special properties (HM, racing) or extremely cheap price. Neither of these is applicable to this one... Maybe special need for Euro oil, like you pointed out.

Anyhow, I guess 90% of the potential buyers don't care about the donut. So there should be no significant impact on sales.

Last edited:
Been today at canadian Walmart, seen the "Tune-It" (a.k.a Supertech) full synthetic 5w40 oil, that doesn't carry the standard API donut marking. It just says "Recommended for ... API SN".

How come? I don't remember ever seeing anything like this.
The price is quite real, that is not cheaper than any other brand name synthetic oil when "on sale".

Interesting, looks like Walmart is maybe experimenting with a new name for its house brand. Personally I like the Super Tech name, anyway, its all the same, oil is oil and the ad packs are made by a handful of companies.

Choosing motor oil should involve no more thought then choosing what brand of gas you use. I do admit, I always gave a lot of thought to what oil I use, as a feel good hobby, anything more then that, the public doesnt have access to the real test data of the engine oils, only oil company marketing to get a premium price for a product that is the same as everyone else.

It seems as of right now Tune It is sold only in CA. I went to Walmarts CA website ...
Walmart Canada Tune It Oil - Click

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

Racing oil yes, it's for different engines, different operation mode, different OCI.
But, I didn't know about non-certified HM oils. I thought they all carry some API grade, maybe obsolete, like SL or SM.

I'd think there must be some reason justifying the absence of the API grade. Be it either some special properties (HM, racing) or extremely cheap price. Neither of these is applicable to this one... Maybe special need for Euro oil, like you pointed out.

Anyhow, I guess 90% of the potential buyers don't care about the donut. So there should be no significant impact on sales.

I think we will see more and more of non certified oils, or maybe its just me but I dont really care. Name brand, quality companies, big box retailers, if the product they claim meets or beats a class of oils (ex.SN, CJ4 etc.)you can bet it does. The company producing the product just decides to not pay a royalty fee/certification expensies to API or DEXOS etc.

Im using such an oil in my 2014 Harley, Mystik Semi Syn 15/50. Claims CJ4/SM but not certified and no longer do I hesitate to use it. WHY? Its a Citgo Product, same company that makes Harley branded oil. Harley recommends their oil OR a 15/20/50 oil rated CH4 or higher. Mystik fits the bill. MANY UOAs and one VOAs, wear numbers look the same and better then all the other oils in the forums.
I use Mystik, not to be cheap, though at $34 for 2 gallons, including tax delivered to my door is a bargain, I use Mystik because of its claimed C rating and is what Harley requires.
Only 2 other companies I know make a 15/50 0r 20/50 c rated oil and that is Amsoil and Royal Purple.
I could use a 15/40 which is easy to find but, Harley prefers 20/50 but still ok with 15/40 as a lessor choice.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, we can speculate that the situation may gradually become similar to what we have in the ATF world. Where many prefer MaxLife (which is not officially certified to any standard) over Dex-VI or Merc-V or Merc-LV certified fluids.

I guess it's either/or. I have to see something credible on the bottle. Either official certification mark. Or well-recognized brand name (assuming Supertech/Tune-It can be counted as such).

If it has no API donut or starburst certification don't use it. Unless Canada is different than the states. SuperTech here in the US has an API SN rating donut and the starburst certification. It's fine. I would never buy that Tune it brand until it gets certified to have the API donut on it.

Some HM oils have had nothing on them whatsoever for API markings, and they, too, were from the majors. Some claimed outdated specs, some have current certifications, too. That last one I saw that definitively had no API certifications was when I looked at some Pennzoil High Mileage stuff shortly after the SN rollout. There was no SL, even, on the jug.

I still say it's the Euro thing, and the more I think of it, the more I'm certain it's a Petro-Canada product, probably their 5w-40 Euro only oil. Last time I checked, it had no formal certifications at all, and wasn't even marketed in North America. There is no way Petro-Canada or Walmart would or should seek to have this one oil API approved. Wakefield does distribute a 5w-40 A3/B4 oil, but it has formal approvals, so it's no that one. And Wakefield/Castrol may have dumb data sheets, but they are never, ever ambiguous about their specifications or certifications. Imperial Oil has no 5w-40 that would fit the bill either, nor does Shell. RP does, but there's no way that Walmart Canada is using Royal Purple as a house brand. Safety-Kleen doesn't make synthetics, to my knowledge. Petro-Canada has been identified as the supplier of Walmart Canada's Tune It synthetics before, and considering their 5w-40 has the same claims, yet no real specifications, that's my guess. There's no reason it couldn't be SN, I'm sure, but name one vehicle out there that calls for an SN rated 5w-40. There's no reason to obtain API certification for a gasoline engine oil that was, at least until recently, only exported to Europe for non-ILSAC applications and was not intended for CJ-4 or ACEA E sequence type engines.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
If it has no API donut or starburst certification don't use it. Unless Canada is different than the states. SuperTech here in the US has an API SN rating donut and the starburst certification. It's fine.

See above. There is no need for M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 to have API certification; they have it, but it's far from essential. People buying them tend to be looking for Euro approvals, or at least A3/B3 A3/B4, not an API SN rating. And they aren't eligible to receive a Starburst either, since 40 grades are not resource conserving grades and cannot obtain ILSAC certification. No matter what the additive levels are, you'll never see a current 40 grade with a Starburst. In fact, if I saw one, I'd steer clear since it would be a fraudulent claim or the oil's been on the shelf for the better part of two decades and predates the tightening of 40 grade HTHS requirements.

Every other Tune It oil in Canada has been certified, and, in fact, Walmart Canada's conventional provided a much greater choice in packaging sizes than down south, by a long shot. Their synthetic offerings are, at least from my estimation, a marketing nightmare, with this being a perfect example. They have high prices and do nothing to reinforce the quality of the product in the mind of the consumers.

I can get Castrol A3/B4 5w-30, A3/B4 0w30, and A3/B4 0w-40, not to mention M1 0w-40 and Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, all with various formal approvals, at regular prices any day of the week cheaper than Tune it 5w-40. What does Tune It 5w-40 offer me?

You can't swing a dead cat in an oil aisle almost anywhere in Canada without knocking over a bottle of GC, so what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back