I Just Took The Super Tech Plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks. It is time to change the oil in our 2012 Nissan Versa. Nissan says 3750 miles for the severe OCI. I noticed that I could get Super Tech full synthetic and a Puralator classic for under $20. That was a better deal than a conventional oil and no name filter from the auto parts stores. I looked at the bottle and it has WPP on the bottom of it. That tells me that Warren is packaging the oil for my Walmart. Rather than fight over what motor oil and filter is the best ever made at any price, I have come to the conclusion that what really matters is that your oil and filter are changed like they should be. The motor oil exceeds the specs from the owners manual and the factory Nissan oil filter is a Chinese made Fram. I guess that I did not do too bad for under $20 using the factory 3750 OCI.

You could always run it for 3-4k miles then replace the classic with a fresh filter and top it off with a little more supertech and keep on going!

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif
I did a 5k mile test using ST Syn, it did as well at that distance as Valvoline, Amsoil and M1. With that short of an interval, inexpensive oil is the way to go.

ST Synthetic is very good oil....I'd be more concerned about the Purolator tearing....

Last edited:
nothing wrong with supertech when i asked the manager in wal mart what was the best selling oil he said by far supertech. Although sometimes i see mobil 5000 for the same price so who knows. A friend i know has a shop nearby to me that i use sometimes when we are real busy to pull engines we rebuild only uses supertech oil and his tow truck has well over 200,000 and still runs great its very underpowered but it runs nice.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
when i asked the manager in wal mart what was the best selling oil he said by far supertech.

Of course because people are cheap and cheap products are the first to go always.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
thumbsup2.gif
I did a 5k mile test using ST Syn, it did as well at that distance as Valvoline, Amsoil and M1. With that short of an interval, inexpensive oil is the way to go.

Funny you should mention Amsoil. I did a bit of looking around the PQIA website and was comparing the data with the ST synthetic I just bought and Amsoil OE. The specs are not that different with very small differences. The ST was half the price (even at Amsoil wholesale) and I can get it locally without the high shipping prices.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
3750 miles is a waste of good oil. That combo is good for much longer than that.

I agree with you. I am sure the combo would be safe for 5k-7500 miles. The OEM spec says 3750 so I will stick with that while under warranty. LOL

Must be a Nissan thing. My 93 Sentra had the same severe service recommendation. Did someone forget to tell Nissan oils are better these days?

3750 miles is a waste of good oil. That combo is good for much longer than that.

A waste of good resources....and $$$ as well.

A good syn (even Super Tech Syn) can easily go further, even with 'severe' service. Extend your OCI out to at least 5000 or even 6000. Your vehicle should be out of warranty by now.

And another question; As a certified Amsoil Dealer, why are you not useing Amsoil ?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

A waste of good resources....and $$$ as well.

A good syn (even Super Tech Syn) can easily go further, even with 'severe' service. Extend your OCI out to at least 5000 or even 6000. Your vehicle should be out of warranty by now.

And another question; As a certified Amsoil Dealer, why are you not useing Amsoil ?

The car has nearly 20500 miles on it. Yes I became a lifetime Amsoil dealer back in 1996. I have never made any real money selling it. Sure it is a good oil but even at my dealer cost an oil change with OE is nearly $50 with the shipping included.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
when i asked the manager in wal mart what was the best selling oil he said by far supertech.

Of course because people are cheap and cheap products are the first to go always.

Or maybe because many people understand the difference between price and value?
ST is a very good value at its everyday price.
The savy shopper can do much better with other oils, though.
That does require planning ahead, something many folks seem not to do.

ST Synthetic is good oil.Use with confidence.WM probably only sells other brands of oil because they get paid for the shelf space to push them.Otherwise it would be ST only.

3750 mile OCIs is definitely wasteful for a synthetic but seeing as ST is only $2-3 more than dino oils, I can see why OP sprung for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back