2013 Ford focus ST 4340 MI ..Castrol edge 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
1zm2ede.png

Last edited:
Good report other than the 5W-30 Castrol Edge sheared down to a 20-weight in 4,340 miles. Is your engine turbocharged?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Good report other than the 5W-30 Castrol Edge sheared down to a 20-weight in 4,340 miles. Is your engine turbocharged?

Yes it's a turbocharged Ecoboost engine

So far every report i get it tells me i better stick with a 5000-7500 miles oil changes, I will not follow the oil monitor
When i changed my oil the monitor told me i still have 65% oil life left

I would just stick with MC SB 5W30 at 5K miles. Synthetic, Syn Blend or Conventional... all shear.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Am I reading that right? You put almost 28,000 miles on the car in two months?

No, i switched from miles to km, i'm from Europe so its easier for me to use KM

Last edited:
Highly recommend you stick with 5K OCI's and a synthetic 5W-30 oil for your turbo application. Mobil 1 0W-40 during the summer heat would also fill the bill too.

Holy [censored] you should be using 10w40 in summer IMO, this engine sheers oil like CRAZY! The OLM is total [censored], if you had waited until 0% the TBN would be 0 and vis thinner than 0w20!

I've never seen an engine shear oil so fast under normal operating conditions.

Last edited:
This is the first Focus ST UOA I've seen that has that much shearing. Others, even with OCIs up to 9200 miles, didn't show as much.

Is Castrol Edge 5W-30 thin to begin with? Is the OP in boost fairly regularly?

Originally Posted By: Palut
This is the first Focus ST UOA I've seen that has that much shearing. Others, even with OCIs up to 9200 miles, didn't show as much.

Well , it is a turbo engine so i boost a lot , guess i'll stick with the 4000- 5000 mile oil change with Full Synthetic

Despite the shearing, your wear levels look good and are within range of averages. If you're interested in going a thicker oil to give you peace of mind about the oil thinning out, maybe Mobil 1 0W-40 or German Castrol is in order? Otherwise, I personally wouldn't worry too much with sticking with the 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Palut

Even though it did shear a bit, it didn't hurt anything.

Istvan, this doesn't look bad. I'd stick to a 5k mi/8k km OCI with the shearing. Don't be too alarmed though. If you go to page 2 of this form, both me and member Ajwan posted our latest UOAs, both of us using Pennzoil Ultra.

We both had very similar shearing though over longer OCIs. One thing I will say is that I am jealous of your low copper number. Granted, my ST's engine is still younger than yours, but it's shedding copper like it's cool.

And for those not familiar with the Focus ST, they come with the 2.0L EcoBoost and are rated 252 hp/270 lb-ft stock. Many of us are tuned beyond that. I'm personally running the warranty-approved Ford Racing tune which pushed torque up to the 350 lb-ft range.

If you want to experiment a bit I bet Mobil 1 0w40 would last until the OLM says its due.

The power density and heat on these new little engines is quite high, it almost seems that you have to treat them like a high HP European car like a 911T or a boosted BMW I6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: STupidfaST
Istvan, this doesn't look bad. I'd stick to a 5k mi/8k km OCI with the shearing. Don't be too alarmed though. If you go to page 2 of this form, both me and member Ajwan posted our latest UOAs, both of us using Pennzoil Ultra.

We both had very similar shearing though over longer OCIs. One thing I will say is that I am jealous of your low copper number. Granted, my ST's engine is still younger than yours, but it's shedding copper like it's cool.

And for those not familiar with the Focus ST, they come with the 2.0L EcoBoost and are rated 252 hp/270 lb-ft stock. Many of us are tuned beyond that. I'm personally running the warranty-approved Ford Racing tune which pushed torque up to the 350 lb-ft range.

How is the torque steer in that thing pushing 330tq to the front wheels?!

It did shear a lot though it didn't appear to hurt anything. I'd still want thicker whats the point in running a 30 if it ends up a 20 this fast?

The gold bottle Edge is more shear resistant IMO, might be worth a try if you can find it. That or find a thicker 30 or light 40, zikes!

Originally Posted By: jigen
Originally Posted By: STupidfaST

How is the torque steer in that thing pushing 330tq to the front wheels?!

There's torque steer certainly, but not nearly as much as you are probably imagining. Ford did a great job electronically compensating for torque steer via the ST's torque steer mitigation programming. There are a slew of YouTube videos and independent reviews out about it. I find it completely manageable, even at advanced tuning and modification levels.

I've driven the car stock, definitely manageable. Just curious if those engineering tricks still play through when adding 60tq to those front wheels. Nice car btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back